1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Gum is Avalon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

The players 'reporting' it have clearly already experienced the issues presented by the alleged transgressor, so it's not an issue of making up our minds. If you go to the colony, roleplay with or witness the roleplay of a player doing something against the CoC or faction regulations, or any other rules made, you are meant to report it, and if it's a trouble, then don't intentionally associate yourself further. If you've already been to Gum and witnessed roleplay that was as bad as stated, then report it, and don't go there and incite the problem more, especially since you no longer have a reason to go there.
    It's also worth mentioning that, there are very few legitimate reports made. Players have usually resorted to threads like this as opposed to maturely approaching the situation. This is not how things are done in the adult world. In the adult world, people are expected to have some form of respect for one another.

As I said, there are very few reports. In fact, there are no reports at all regarding Gum. It's downright childish to assume it's okay to insult the colony and its owners and say that they aren't being harsh, when clearly it is having its effects on the members and owner. Criticism is okay; insults are not. If you're going to appeal to maturity, please follow your own guidelines. Also keep in mind that the minimum age for this community is sixteen; while it's not advised for a teenager unable to handle more mature themes to join the server, community members should keep in mind that other people are not them, and do not share the same perspectives, privileges, and downfalls as them.

#41 Avis, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Felix

Felix New Member

This thread is a report. Sen decided to open it to the public. Threads open to public discussion should be taken as seriously as a report sent in private. I'm not sure why you want to make players feel shame for posting about issues in public; shouldn't they feel as comfortable being able to discuss things in the open as well as private? Did you stop to think, perhaps, they feel things get done when the moderators are confronted with the issue in public instead of them ignoring it in private?

It's not childish to offer critique. Criticism is a legitimate portion of life and how you react to it and digest it displays maturity. When you get out in the real world, it will be a quintessential part of growing up and improving on worksite and in life. I have held a job (currently three) for twelve years. I didn't dissolve into a sobbing mess when my boss criticized my editorial. I bucked up, internalized it, reviewed my work and improved over time. This is how legitimate critique is healthy.

As per your last line: Having a bad life doesn't excuse anyone from unhealthy behaviors.

3. skipi

skipi New Member

i made a private report once
    i got a moderator response on it in which he sided with me
    the post was deleted the next day and was told despite his judgement not to side with me on this case
    no further posts were made, and i would not have known this if i did not ask the moderator

this is why private reports are useless

4. Avis

Public reports are fine, but the original post, and a large majority of the comments are not criticism, they are insults. They offer little insight on how to fix said problems, they allow no attempts to fix said problem, and there have been no prior reports, public or private about Gum. This is not the same as your boss criticizing you, this is, once again, some members of the community grouping up to insult another group of community members, mostly.
    If the playerbase feels that a public report is the way to improve things, then they should go about it with courtesy and maturity. Regardless, this is not the intended topic of the thread, and if you have further issues regarding our back-and-forth, message me about it, or make another thread.

5. Avis

It's not in the private reports system, and private reports are not and cannot be deleted, so I'm sorry that I didn't see it, but it wasn't possible for me to.

6. skipi

skipi New Member

the moderator's post was deleted
    the thread still exists

7. Avis

Sorry about that, then. It could have been exclusive to you and that specific moderator.

Anyways, please keep the thread on topic.

8. Raideck

Raideck Member

I don't hate Gum by any means I just don't understand how a silly self proclaimed ninja was able to build a futuristic city out of nowhere is all.

9. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Basically this. Its one of the few colonies left. While that is good, its.. Blegh.. On how it came up. Not meaning to be mean, but its true. Otherwise everything seems good. Only real issue I see is funding. Funding. Funding.

10. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Very few issues are ever reported to us, privately or publicly. People talk about problems in the server frequently, every so often a thread like this appears and we talk with the community about the issue. But in order for us to take care of a problem in the server, we need to know about it, in detail, we need to know who was involved and what they have done and any suggestions you the community might have to solve these issues.

We love your input, we welcome threads like this, feel free to create more threads like this, we will happily discuss changes to the server with you. But you don't need to make it into a strawman argument, you don't need to go 'this is why we should delete this colony', or attack other players creative works. Too many people vilify other players for being 'bad at roleplay' while doing little more than complaining about it, few people legitimately try to help these people improve, and helping players to improve will improve the quality of roleplay on the server, something everyone here craves.

If you feel there is a problem just tell us what it is and what you think should change, speak plainly, no posturing, no subtext, no subtle manipulations. We are players just like you, we want to make the server a better and more fun place to be, and we are more than willing to work with you to do that. We aren't your enemies here, we shouldn't have an adversarial relationship, we aren't here to be the fun police and tell you exactly how to roleplay.

We simply want to make this a better place to be, a better place to roleplay, a great place to spend an evening, weaving stories with friends. We want to do everything we can to make this a more enjoyable experience for everyone,

11. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

I don't like gum because I'm a builder and the style there repulses me.
    I don't like gum because I am also seeing the hints that it will become another over-militarized colony.
    I don't like gum because Avalon, and some stupid weird fishy person that is a ninja and a billionaire and a super sexy swamp monster.
    I don't like gum because it's usually empty.
    I don't like gum because I am personally sent moving away from the roleplay that I see as not being of an evolved enough level to have fun with if it is there at all.
    I don't like gum because it once again has few reasons to exist so suddenly.
    I don't like gum because it's not even a listed colony.
    I don't like gum because of all these reasons.

My solution: Not going there.
    Should I keep it at that?
    No, I should do something about it as the wonderful member of the community I am.
    What can I do?
    I can give them tips to improve their colony.
    What are they?
    -Restart it, do keep a backup of its current form.
    -Acknowledge expenses.
    -Get the funds.
    -Get the workers.
    -Don't do things that you know are impossible.
    -Have (more) flaws.

Extras; Curse words:
    Gonna be a constant thing with you cheeky gits now, innit?
    Yes it fucking is

#51 Sammy McHammyDoodle, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  12. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Republic of Canada (The Colony I've been developing)

Funding? - Ray Beluga. Danny stole 750k from him, and about 500k of that went into the colony's startup.
    That 500k built a lumber mill, lodge and clinic. Lumber mill provided very cheap lumber for my colony to be built upon. Obviously other things go into the structure - roofing, some stone, lighting, etc.

Now that the colony is partially coming together, I'm advertising it privately to bring attention to it and keep it more-or-less off the radar for IC reasons (Blackleaf raid). Once I get it up and running, it will export lumber and maple-based alcoholic bevrages (stereotypes i know).

How is this relevant, you may ask?

I have plotted out and planned the financing of the city from the get-go, and even had my character IC freak out when Danny disappeared for a while because all the funding went poof too. My colony has legit background, story, etc. Minimal use of any technological thingy-mabobs and the most technical building (aside from the surprise drug lab i found...) is the clinic. Rustic, cheap, cozy.

I would love if Gum took a couple steps towards this direction.
    Also, the terrain is too flat. Bleh. Add variety and make it interesting!

Just my two cents.
    Im also searching for the butt nugget who said my colony smelled like an ERP hub. I will find you.

13. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

I like GUM. There's something about the "futuristic metropolis" setting I enjoy. Sadly it'd cost too much ICly for anyone to really set it up. Hell, this "IC funding" for colonies is really restricting what kind of colony we can make to be honest. Though that's just what it seems like.

14. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

*Would like this a million times if he could*

Alright so. How to make it better?

-Keep note/track of funding, resources, ammo, armor.
    -Start looking for IC people to -get- resources from once you have sufficient funding.
    -DON'T FUCKING POWER GAME. IT KILLS YOU. This may not be an issue (yet). But its something to keep in mind.
    -Keep track of your security forces, make sure they don't start doing stupid shit. -Train them.- At least somewhat. Otherwise when people like the outcasts come knocking, they won't know what to do, wont be coordinated, and then its basically GG.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to PM Me Yukari if you want to talk about it more in depth.

15. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Being able to pull the enitre city out of nowhere is bad. That said Yukari has been pretty reasonable with the scanners. If it makes sense IC for a certain item to be smuggled past the metal detector ((Eg, floran needler rifles not being made of metal can be smuggled through)) and I think that makes an interesting dynamic/

16. Rezima

Rezima New Member

plus, seems pretty open to people trying to break or circumvent them, just a metal detector and a scanner as far as I can tell

17. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Yeah, I was actually thinking that. All we'd have to do is just beam somewhere else, or hell, even land the ship somewhere.

18. Rezima

Rezima New Member

or shoot the scanner and hope no one gets there in time to catch you

19. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

BUT IT HAS ELECTRIC GATES :OO

20. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

So that's where all my goddamn money went.
    Totally not gonna meta and have Ray destroy your colon with a space laser.