1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Gum is Avalon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Jokes on you, I have. I've even just talked it out with the owner of Gum when they asked what I thought made a colony successful. I did give advice, I was polite, and I was hoping to actually help them out. Also, I'm not flaming Gum so much as the oversensitive fella that felt the need to wipe my last post just for the language. Also, also.... Don't jump to accusations of flaming after telling me you agreed with what I'm saying. Hypocrisy isn't cool Aiko.​

2. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

People can flame and make legitimate points at the same time :p

Stop going "You're all dumb" and approach it better.

3. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Oversensitive Mod chiming in, we do in fact have rules against excessive foul language, flaming and openly hostile comments, regardless of whether you had a valid point buried beneath them or not.

But you can still make that same point without openly insulting anyone

4. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Ye? I didn't openly insult anyone. I didn't use names or previous offenders of said 'fuckwit' behavior. I simply stated that Gum seems to be going down a path that we've all seen before on the sever. That path usually ends in powergaming and generally bad rp that no one enjoys. Also, if the bit saying we could just not go there and let it die off was bad then fuck me, I don't know what isn't anymore. Wanting a colony to die off isn't a bad thing, and isn't a bad thing to say in the forums.​

5. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Im sorry but reading the edited comment made me laugh like Bender. Anywho. Its not all bad. Hubs move people. Just cause Gum is popular now doesnt mean it will ne in a month

6. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Alright, if this is just going to start down a bad, irrelevant path, I'll start off.

My main concern with Gum is it's 'source'. As far as I know, the owner simply wanted their own colony IC and decided to suddenly have the millions and millions of dollars and man power necessary to build a 'metropolis' of such caliber. Where did this money come from? Back story wealth doesn't justify it.

7. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

I personally think that Gum is ugly.

8. Sen

Sen Guest

Retcon central

9. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

I think Gum is ugly and thus I refuse to RP on it.
    Coincidentally, so was Avalon.

10. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

This text is really fancy, btw. I feel so empowered.

11. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Hey now, let's stay on topic.
    Even though this text is really fun :(

12. Raideck

Raideck Member

My only concern is this, seems like a lot of expensive equipment from buildings to armor to just the facilities. Where is all the money from? In the RSSU we're saving up our funding for needed, expensive, projects. All through ic dealings and we trade with companies and people. Not self sufficient.

13. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

This is essentially following the same formula most colonies follow when they don't plan their colonies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///

"I want to make a colony." -Builds this flat thing they decide to call home.-
    "I want people to come to my colony." -Makes a post revealing the location.-
    "Why does everyone dislike my colony that was not planned out or devised in a manner that would attribute its own self-sufficiency?"
    -Makes a thread asking for help.-
    "Gum sucks and it needs blah, blah, and blah to be better." -Ignores said comments. Decides to say 'fuck it' and RP it anyways.-
    -Sen's shitstorm senses start tingling. He investigates. Tries to correct the erroneous RPer who didn't really put any planning into the city. Makes a thread using a straw man ultimatum so something will actually get done.-
    "Blow this city up because it sucks for these particular reasons." -Everyone tries to poke the bear that is Sen.-
    "Y u got b so mean?" -People start talking on how to resolve the issue. Nothing gets accomplished.-
    "Why does everyone hate me?" -Hugboxing commences. Shit RP continues. Until city is ultimately destroyed by something.-

10/10 Agree with Sen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///

14. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

[​IMG]

15. Stu_Pot

Stu_Pot New Member

Alright, I'm the guy who rps Matt on Gum. Going to say a few things. All of the ones just saying to blow up gum are really pretty insensitive. You might not realize this, but planning aside, we did put ALOT of work into building gum. I'm friends with Yukari, and this thread has actually been bothering her. If you don't like Gum, completely fine. Once again, just don't go. A lot of my friends and I have a lot of fun at Gum daily. The sensor complaints are totally unreasonable as well. We have that stuff in airports already, present day. I don't see a reason why it should be thought so much of. The other colonies that checked for weapons didn't draw this much fire for it. If anything it's better seeing as you can let yourself in without someone babysitting the beam pad. Another thing: if you want weapons in gum, we let you keep knives and pistols. You could join security for a permit. You could land your ship. You could just shoot out the barrier, an outcast did it before. I realize the odds of changing people's minds over the Internet are slim, but if nothing else, can we keep it? There are people who enjoy it and get most of their rp from it. I think just taking that away from everyone because you don't like it: even when you have the option not to go, is not a good solution. Also as for the funding, and its origin being from a backstory, this could be said for a lot of colonies and groups who just pop in already fully formed. I don't see why it's any worse here than it is there, without pointing fingers.

16. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Other colonies -usually- have some sort of reasoning for their existence. Port Last = RA. Taranis = The Order. Indeed, quite a few seemed to spring out of the earth. New Chicago? Opportunity? (maybe they do have legitimate reasons for existing, I dont know)

The point is, there should be some logical reason for the sudden existence of a colony. Gum seemed to just, poof into existence. I know a lot of work was put into its physical (?) construction, but that is not the topic of debate. Gum needs a reason to exist, and frankly I don't see one.

Idk. It seems like the 'if you dont like it dont go' argument kinda sucks. I think its important that this server maintain a good reputation in terms of the quality of the roleplay, and having firm backgrounds is an important part of that.

17. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Right, your colony has no real basis and it doesn't make sense for it to exist to be quite frank. One day Yukari got bored and made a colony.... That's the story of Gum. No explanation for how one ditzy 'ninja' could afford the billions of dollars in construction costs and to equip and maintain a security team/system. It was all just there. That's my problem with Gum. Also, pointing the finger at other colonies that messed up, doesn't make your colony's inadequacies any less real. Lastly, other colonies with scanners were 'fired upon' as well. Scanners and play to win attitude killed Marathon, then Union, and finally Opportunity. PEOPLE. DON'T. LIKE. SCANNERS.

18. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

This is the point that a few people are trying to make. It's okay to not like things, but don't be a dick about it. This server is what the players make it, but it should still be a welcoming community for everyone.

My guess is to why this is met with so much distrust is that there was no real justification behind it; They are and would be expensive systems, and as it's been stated, Gum seems to have no real source of income or any means of wealth. I'd also like to point out that Gum isn't alone with such accusations. The best example is probably Union, which was more or less hated by the community, partially because of similar sensor systems.

Though it's true that lots of colonies came from nowhere, that doesn't mean that it's okay to keep doing it. It's something the community as a whole is moving away towards, and this lack of economic backing has become pretty heavily scrutinized of late. Try to set an example of what a colony should be, as opposed to how they are. As long as you follow the CoC and have decent roleplay, the community can be expected to respond constructively. While Gum has several issues that might merit complaints, the community has definitely not been constructive.

19. Felix

Felix New Member

Moderators: You're doing it again.

You say that if someone doesn't like it, they shouldn't go there. That's all well & dandy in theory. It doesn't work out in execution. It just means that the people exemplifying this behavior will remain there and other role-players who aren't doing this won't go there and thus won't be reporting them.

So -- they shouldn't go there, but they should report this behavior? Make up your minds.

This is not a fix. This is a band-aid slapped over a server encompassing problem. This is poor foresight and you do need to sit down and listen before instantly slapping on a "fix" like this. Just because someone words things abrasively does not mean they are wrong. Welcome to the real adult world.

20. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

Ass-pulling hurts any attempts at making a logical sector-wide economy. Secondhand ass-pulling more so, hence why any kind of trade with Gum is currently impossible.

High tech buildings and security systems are expensive, and require a source of income not only for their purchase/manufacturing, but also for their maintenance.

Also, if a colony is public, expect to receive criticism.