1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Concerns with the RA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skipi, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

We would love to give you time, man.

Just like.. Didn't Tarl die two months ago?

2. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

I actually appreciate how this post doesn't take either side in the debate. It's respectable that you are willing to see that both sides may have some merit in this discussion.

3. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

This please. The solution we think of may not be the one that fits perfectly. Because I have to admit. None of us can make perfect decisions in a close group of friends. That's been proven. We not only need you guys to point out the problems. But any and all possible solutions. Please.

4. GuardianPotato

Felith/Cole just got in command Wednesday.

5. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

The point of this thread was to inform and provide positive criticism so things could change for the better, maybe things got things a bit charged but the point of the thread still stands.

6. GuardianPotato

It does indeed still stand.

7. Optimism

Optimism Guest

I actually am in the process of doing this.

And another thing, the IC voiding of Outcasts and complete lack of consent to harmful actions shouldn't happen.

Does anyone have a reason it should?

Edit: Let's try and deal with one issue one at a time, yes?

8. JimHarrison

9. GuardianPotato

It wasn't of outcasts. It was of Skipi himself. That message was sent directly to Skipi, and skipi only. No prior interactions with him were voided. The rest of the outcasts are free to talk and plan with us regarding raids.

10. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Fair enough. Why not do what I did, then? Do your best to stop something only when you really can? Stop using equipment that would give you the upper hand. Aim for equipment that would be equal to other peoples. Try not to avoid conflict, embrace it. Talk to other leaders and plan with them whenever you can to have events.

Host non-combat event frequently. A party can bring a lot of fun back into a place that seems dead. Build places and higher workers to gather resources. Put the civ in your civilian faction. Make this a living breathing faction. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Make improvements on the city slowly and over time. Make a colony that doesn't cause my computer to have a seizure ( though this is just a personal gripe) and most of all, learn that conflict makes RP interesting and flavorable. Lose sometimes. Lose /badly/ sometimes. Reason with your attackers OOC and ask politely for more advance in planning and the will usually give it to you.

11. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, if ya want some proof, take a look at how the USAF did things. We once had a magic scanner that could detect any and all illegal items and substances. Now we have manually controlled gates surrounding the beam point and all we check for are weapons too large to be properly concealed. USAF never allowed any form of unplanned events, recently we've had a bombing near the beam point and an attack by a person wearing armor our rounds couldn't pierce. Neither could be considered a "win", we were just lucky enough to have no deaths, though there were several severe injuries.

I'm not saying we're perfect. I don't think anyone has ever said we're anywhere near perfect, and we would not argue that we are. However, we have improved, though the only reason that is not visible to people is because people don't like to look at the good, all they see is the bad.

12. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Ooooooooook, here I go. *clears throat*

RA -has- had a leadership change, Its now me, as Cole, and Felith. Cole's 2nd Lieutenant, and Felith is Chief Warrant Officer. While alot of the thigns pointed out in this thread are valid complaints, first and foremost I'd like to say that if you have a problem with the way it is run, please, please, and i mean this in no sarcastic way at all, please PM one of the leadership positions first. I'd be more than happy to work it out.

As for the powergaming/win mentality:
    Now, I cant speak for everyone in the faction, but myself, I roll with everything. Im constantly consented to everything short of death. The "win" mentality, I think, is partly -PARTLY- true, but also blown out of proportion. If you can give me an example of where we, as a group, have "won" a conflict where we should not have, I'll gladly take it into discussion. I am going to try and fix alot of these points in the thread.

As long as I have been on the server, I have tried to be calm, and to see arguments from both sides. I still am, and hope that at least some of you can trust me, even if I was "ex-USCM group". I forgot to save quotes as I was reading this whole thread, but the one with "The truth hurts, but can help" or something is true. These arguments may hurt us personally, as they are pointing out shortcomings and faults with us, but if we can look at them levelly, we can fix ourselves.

Now. Fixes. Since I'm now basically leading Opportunity (wow that just struck me), I do intend to change/fix some things I did not entirely like. Personally, I'm fine with unplanned events, like I said before I will roll with whatever happens, and Im going to try to incorporate that more into the city. Want to try and raid? Go ahead. Want to just come down and cause trouble? Go ahead. Want to come down and join the growing list of suicide bombers that for some reason seem to come to opportunity? Go ahead. The only reason I would ask for a "planned" event is if it might cause huge damage to the area. Nukes, or a full scale war, for example.

Gear Complaints:
    First of all, our power armor is non-existant. We -did- learn that from the USCM thing. Power armor has been replaced by regular body armor, covering vital areas and knees/elbows. The mech, well.....mech mech mech mech.....I mean, yeah, we have it ICly, but as of right now its basically just a giant tin can, and I am very sure that it will never be fixed/used/moved from the dusty garage its in. (I actually have no idea where it is).

8 pages was alot to read, so Im sure I missed some stuff in here. Please, tip me on what, and I'll gladly discuss ways to change it for the better. I -do- see the problems with the faction, from your view, and I would very much like to fix/explain them so that everyone can better get along.

13. GuardianPotato

Aye but theres the problem of. Where'd we get the funding to make these things now? If all of our money was bled dry already? No one's willing to move into Port-Last to start up a shop. Even though its badly needed.

14. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

To be fair, I never voided the Ehlers company. I just said he disappeared and the accounts were liquadated. After that, I didn't roleplay having enough money to do things in the city. I had to manage my resources, talk to people for help, use my own characters' biases to accept or deny certain offers.

15. Animator

Animator New Member

Keeping an eye on this thread. Please refrain from derailing or the usage of .gifs; kindly take that to off topic if need be, but not here.

Simple points I want to briefly illustrate here as advice:
    • Attacking the reputation of the person directly will not solve anything. This goes both ways. Doing so only derails the topic, and derailing is against the rules. I will only state this once.
    • If any of you feel that this course of action (talking about it publicly) has fallen on deaf ears, always remember that the private report section can and will receive reports on factions themselves, especially if you compile all the evidence into a clear report with screenshots and logs. Rules exist for factions.
    • If you're feeling heated over this, I want to casually remind everyone that you're debating imaginary structures in an imaginary setting with imaginary ramifications, and that some elements in an imaginary setting shared by some imaginary people do not fit the imaginary constructs of other imaginary people. If you're still heated, please get up, take a 10 minute break, go do some other things, and revisit this with a calm attitude. Cooler heads always prevail.
    Continue on.

16. GuardianPotato

Thing is. IC we've spent a shit ton on building stuff. So uh. We don't have much left.

17. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

People believed. And then stopped. That's one of the problems.

As far I've seen there's been no or few insults, if there's any at all. No one is trying to force them out of the community, but thestage of 'oh sorry we'll improve' was made once more than two months ago and there's still the same issues. This reminds of M Bot's approach, ?Oh after talking to them they are a good bunch, let's help them to improve their rp'.

That was -two- freaking months ago. Same issues. Nothing or very little has changed. I didn't like his approach for one simple reason: if someone has to go after people to help them improve their rp instead of said group looking for help from reliable rpers they trust, news for you.

THAT IS FREAKING WRONG AND HAS HIGH CHANCES TO END IN AN EPIC FAIL.

That's the main reason I'm not sorry for RA's situation. And more news for you. helping from the inside doesn't help much either.

I haven't heard any reason yet -why- Opportunity was rebuilt OOCly, too.

And now let's be devil's advocate for a bit. Rpers interacting with them, take screenies if something's wrong and bring them to officers/leader's attention to see if an issue can be resolved. If not, call in the mods.

And remember.

VOID THE VOIDING.

18. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

That's a good attitude, now don't build anything else. Make every day a financial struggle. Have power go out sometimes, have weak points. Be open to attacks that you have to fend off. Be the kind of faction people can respect. As you can see, I'm offering advice and I have also offered criticism.

19. GuardianPotato

Indeed you have. We've already talked internally about removing some of our current defenses due to lack of IC funding to keep them working in open weather.

20. JimHarrison

I appreciate that you're like, listening. Still, the change needs to come, yo. Now that y'all are aware of the urgency that the rest of us are feeling, please be aware that we're gonna bring it up again if something else comes up.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.