1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Engineer Datalogs

Discussion in 'Character Journals' started by Redwilt, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

: : // Sign In Active // : :
    User: Hartwick
    PW: *******
    Login Accepted!

: : // Data Pad Recording . . .
    [A soft ahem opens the audio feed]
    Progress is going well on the infantry handled cannon. I figured the cause of the last prototype's malfunction. I had placed the accelerator in backwards, causing a continual flow of energy being forced back into the weapon until the explosive detonation of said energy. With that fixed, I believe i can progress once more. I will also need a remote firing system for myself. Perhaps a long spool of thread will do, simply for testing so I no longer risk my life.

[A chair squeaks as he shifts]
    My other two prototypes are coming along almost without error, as their designs existed already. I just had to make a couple tweaks.
    [Some paper rustling]
    Prototype B, the herbicide launcher. It works almost like a shotgun, a large canister is detonated to propel smaller canisters. Upon a few seconds the smaller canisters also detonate, releasing herbicide gas. This ..
    [A pause]
    This would be inhumane to use on any sentient being that wasn't a floran. This weapon is solely designed to combat florans, rendering them inebriated and less able to fight. I dread this weapon falling into a criminal's hands.
    [He sighs]

Enough about technical things, more about myself. What to begin with? Hmm. Well I moved into the shipyard as of today. I am going to renovate my ship and make it less like a rattling deathtrap.
    [A pause, then an embarrased cough which turned to a little laugh]
    I suppose I admitted my .. infatuation with a certain someone, and to my dismay I found they were already engaged! While I am very grateful this did not proceed further, I am still disheartened that I made such a foolish error. I should have checked first! Ah, well. I will not hope her relationship fails, but I do admit the dark corner of my heart secretly wishes it so.
    . . .
    . . .
    I must stamp that out, quickly.
    Audio log end.
    : : // Are you sure?
    : : // Confirm.
    : : // Signing out.
    : : // Saved as Log_A

2. Redwilt

PW: ******
    Login Accepted!: : //

Data Pad Recording . . .
    [A light panting is heard before a groan assumedly from a stretch.]
    Removing the interior of a ship non explosively is a lot more work than I thought. Hopefully installing isn't as tough.
    [A soft chuckle]
    While I am taking a break I decided to check the diagnostics on my cannon prototype. The energy readings have been stable all morning, which is good. I put it through a hot and cold environment as well to test if those stimulated a response, and nothing. The weapon is insulated and cooled with it's own system, using an intricate cooling system that networks the body of the entire gun with a tiny refridgeration device in the coolant hub to keep the liquid cool. I have a couple more internal systems to check, but I'm afraid this weapon will never be mass produced. It's simply too bulky and far too complex to trust automated machinery to build.
    [He lets out a big breath]

That was a doozy. But documentation is important! I hope Vivian is impressed with my progress.
    [A quiet pause as he shifts]
    I'd like to meet some of the other engineers as well...
    Audio log end.
    : : // Saved as Log_B

3. Redwilt

Data Pad Recording . . .
    Well, my ship interior redesign is going... well, I guess. I kinda just smashed the panels out in the walls with a sledgehammer. It was fun. Evidently I fell asleep not too long after as well. I awoke to the sight of a grinning Vivian, and I was quite the mess, sleeping against the docking clamp. Makes me chuckle just imagining it. We talked for a bit before heading inside. She, to her office, I to the showers. I was an idiot, I offered her the option to join me. Stupid, stupid! It's that dark part of my heart making me act so. Ugh.

On another note, I went to her office after I was clean and we talked for a long while. Nothing really important, we just shared a couple drinks and had good natured conversation. I cherish our friendship, truly. She showed me a rival company had opened evidently, which hastened her decision to make the company public. Not too long after, a couple of gentlemen came in to do business. I spoke with a mister 'Jones' and will be constructing a small unarmed shuttle for him, probably about the size of a room. It will be fun, I think. I will be working alongside the intern, Azalea on this.

Speaking of, I met Azalea and Monkey-wrench today for the first time. They appeared to be very nice people. Azalea is cutesy, with a soft voice and endearing mannerisms. Monkey-wrench appears gruff but evidently a genius mind inhabits that body. He discussed quite the fascinating personal project! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

And now, my thoughts turn to sleep. Dreams of the stars, the secrets they hold... and .. a certain someone. Curse my fickle heart.
    Audio log end.
    : : // Saved as Log_C

4. Redwilt

Data Pad Recording . . .
    Good... evening? I suppose. Why am I even introducing myself. Eh. I'm feeling quite chipper today, surprisingly enough. I got my first real project, and I spent the morning blueprinting it up. I'm still waiting for my co-worker's opinions on it before I go ahead and start actual construction on it. I plan on bringing the intern onto the task as well so she can play around and get the feel of things. Of course I'll have to come behind her to make sure she didn't forget anything or install something wrong.
    Should be fun.

I got to use the sledgehammer some more today, took out the rest of the panels in my ship. Deconstruction is oddly quite fun, I have to admit. I selected the choice of interior I wanted and dipped into my own funds at this point to purchase the materials necessary
    . Vivian told me we get no freebies, heh. As much as I'd like to, I can't quite fit a weapon into the design unless I placed it on top of the ship, which would leave it very exposed. Uhm.. what else... Oh, right. My prototypes!
    [There is a small shuffling of paper]
    My land-based ship weaponry is now designated to be a defensive weapon -only-. This means it will require two people to carry, and a suitable support to fire. I will not include a bipod because that will make the weapon mobile, thus more capable of offense. Withholding the bipod means something of appropriate size must be constructed beforehand to enable a safe usage of the weapon. This will put my heart to ease, a little bit.

The chemical sprayer I am also working on ... another horrible weapon against sentients, but a necessary evil. The herbicide launcher is to make the florans drunk, and incapable of fighting. The chemical sprayer is to ignite the hampered florans, effectively ending both them and their potential future threat. A terrible way to go, but the most effective.
    [He sighs]
    I wonder if my family would be proud. . .
    Audio log end.

: : // Saved as Log_D

5. Redwilt

Data Pad Recording . . .

... Sh-.. She kissed me..
    It was nothing more than a peck on the cheek, but Ape above.. it sent a fire coursing through me. All because I turned down another job offer...

I had two days of emotional peace, now it's back to turmoil..
    [a sad chuckle]
    The first day i spent either drunk or asleep.. i got nothing done, shame on me. Today my head was buried in work, and I went to clean up and rest in the break room after when I ran into Vivian.
    . . .
    . . .
    On another note.. our competitors tried to sell us weapons and armor. Kinda funny, if you ask me, Vivian thought so too.

. . .
    I need sleep. . .

Audio log end.
    : : // Signing Out.
    : : // Saved as log_E

6. Redwilt

Login Accepted!

Work's been pretty hard. I finished the Jones request a while back but forgot about it until now. I need to contact him. Looking for him as I talk. . .

Anywho. Vivian wanted me to get started on the AA defenses she talked about a while ago. She seemed pleased with my first draft, but I think it can be better. More cannons. Bigger. More boom. Had to look up 'flak' to see what she meant by it. Basically an anti-air variant of grapeshot weaponry, using different projectile types than just anything you can see around you.

[He paused]
    Something... miraculous happened, but I can't explain it in words. It was too ... perfect, like a dream. I'm sure that's what it was.

[A crash]
    Oops. Hope that wasn't too important.
    Audio log end.
    : : // Saved as Log_F

7. Redwilt

Login Accepted!

The recording opens to a grunt, and sounds of pain. "Ohh.. boy.. that was.." He gasp. "A mistake." A quiet whimper. "Makin' this in case I don't wake up, hit my head pretty hard.." A sigh. "The weapon design was too strenuous for the core and it overloaded, thankfully the explosion was minor due to it just being electrical components so far..." His voice faded away and there was silence before the sound of a startled awakening.

"Gotta.. keep awake.. anyway.. The plastic top cover hit my head really hard.. And I think it gave me a black eye. My left eye won't open and it hurts to touch that area. I'm .. probably concussed. Contacted a doctor, he should be coming around shortly, just hope I stay awake long enough." He made a disgusted noise.

"I'm canning the sonic cannon. Until I have more knowledge of that weaponry type. About the .. uh.. .. uh.. power systems! Right. Power systems I'll be working with, and I should study sonar..." He mumbled something else, but the recording didn't quite catch it.

Silence for about ten minutes, then the sounds of a teleporter activating and a noise of concern, then it's cut off.
    : : // Warning, audio log capacity reached
    : : // Autoshutdown engaged.
    : : // Signing out
    : : // Saved as Log_G