1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

What do YOU want in a colony?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TaintedMythos, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

Heya everyone! I have noticed that there seems to be a pattern with this server, at least since Akio's Bar was around (when I started).
    It goes as follows, using New Chicago as the most recent example:
    1. New colony/building/other gathering place is made.
    2. New place gains popularity because it provides a fun setting for people to RP in.
    3. Now popular place becomes a high-traffic zone that brings (otherwise spread apart) groups of people together.
    4. Place becomes the regular area for people to RP for those who aren't affiliated to a faction/colony, meaning that you can almost always find some people to RP with.
    5. Place hugely changes (Holy Fleet invasion in LM, bombs n' stuff in NC, etc.) so that the people who used to RP there are forced to change their RP style to something often much darker than before.
    6. People that used to RP there drift around places to find somewhere they like, but can't find the right fit.
    7. New place is made that gains traction (and otherwise becomes popular), repeating the process.

Now that that's over, I have a simple question: What do YOU want the next colony to be? I myself think that city type colonies (New Chicago, Liberty Mills, Akio's Bar) are great since they provide a fairly wide range of RP settings but with one area for them to take place so you can bump into someone else and RP with them. Now, before this become more of a rant than it already is, I'm going to close by asking for advice on making a colony, but also let me know what you guys want to see. It can be anything (within the Code of Conduct of course!) that you want, even if it hasn't been done before. I'm open to anything!
    Thanks everyone!
    ~TaintedMythos

#1 TaintedMythos, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  2. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Some city like in LA Noire, that would be cool.

3. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Opportunity's a nice little colony to hang out at, IMO.

4. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

I didn't know Opportunity was active, it was never really on my radar I guess.

5. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

it was abandonned so a faction moved in, cleardd out banditos and such and is trying to modernize it <_< also theres usually people around. Unless its during the server dead times. (euro times :/ )

6. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

9/10 Its okay. Headbutted a RA soldier and then got thrown in jail.

7. Raideck

Raideck Member

Basically the colony to be popular needs to have a social hub, I.E. Bar, Club, and even just streets, it needs something that draws the players to it like a moth to a flame. So first it was Aiko's bar (obvious, bar :/), LM (Filthy streets with Italian mob and birdies, where do I sign?) and NC (New city with corrupt military like force and a popping club? Sounds pretty cool.)

8. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I think it would be fun to have a colony that had open streets, so people could move around in cars. It makes more sense to drive rather than walk around in a large city. And with the sitting mod, you could multiple people in one car.

9. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Players. That's all I want.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I know I don't play on the server much, but I think a natural colony would be cool. Y'know, like one carved out of the side of a mountain, or a massive tree (There was one like this long ago, but I don't think it's around anymore.).

11. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

Well, I'd say it needs a central meeting point, a compact structure, and a semi-large active player base to kickstart it, everything else is aesthetic.

12. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

Oddly enough, Taranis is seeing a lot more traffic than it did a month ago, yet I don't know why, either. There really haven't been many major changes to the place beyond the recent-ish destruction of the Floran Tree there, eliminating all indications of a non-existent Floran population.

What I would like in a colony is a place where RP has a chance to grow, but not like a place full of people willing to try and shoot up an entire bar all the time. Conflict's nice, but too much of it can get overwhelming, IMO.

So... I basically just stated a vague description of what I want that could apply to anywhere... >_<

13. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

Wow, I didn't expect this to get this many replies! So any advice on the actual building of the colony? Do I just basically need to flatten out a massive part of a planet, then start putting buildings and what have you on said flattened area?

14. Sen

Sen Guest

15. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

I honestly like the idea of leaving the land like it is (For the most part), and working off of that. Putting buildings on hills, down in valleys, -in- the hills, etc etc.

16. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'd like a colony that has a legitimate economy. Asani was taking measures to this with using an exclusive currency, which would help keep players from being like "jajajajaja i have 10 billion pixels and i spend it on drinks while i live out of my ship and ninja everyone in the face jajajaja". The Gryphon Cluster has done a fantastic job of this, since their economy is rather in-depth as well. What I've noticed is that most colonies have a total lack of a legitimate infrastructure, which leads to nothing but barfly RP. Players are missing out on a whole other universe of roleplay because of this.
    Though when it gets down to it, all that really matters is the players, economies make for fun, and on many occasions, cut throat roleplay. People at Opportunity (HEREBY DUBBED "PORT LAST") are moving towards setting up a mine and lumber mill, and then introducing third-party stores and factories in order to bring in revenue, which would allow for loads of fun.

17. Omenvreer

Omenvreer The Augury

Asani is active now, and ICly at least it has people on it (they're npc merchants and stuff, so it looks like a big player-made npc village.) But we are working towards making a safe and fun trading hub for the supplies people make. Maybe even have it be a planet where people from the market on the starnet can make IC trade offs. I am all for letting someone formulate a proper currency system using some obscure item that is hard to just spawn more and cheat your way to Bruce Wayne levels of richness. Most of the older posts on the Asani forums arn't used for ic development anymore, if you want to use its currency system as a base for a new currency system that could encompass the whole server via the CoC that would be great.