1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Something I've noticed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avis, Sep 16, 2014.

?

What's your experience with the mods?

1. I approached a mod about an issue and they discussed it with me in a civil manner

27.3%
  2. I approached a mod about an issue and they did not discuss it with me

18.2%
  3. I haven't approached a mod because I don't think anything would happen

13.6%
  4. I don't really have any issues or concerns with the mods, and as such never approached them

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

So lately, I've noticed that among a lot of cliques in the server, people fuss and complain a lot. Normally, this wouldn't be a real issue, but I've been noticing a whole lot of nothing-being-done-about-it. There's endless amounts of bellyaching particularly about the modteam, how "this person sucks" or "fuck this person".
    I understand a lot of people here actually have a personal issue or two with mods here, but it seems like a larger amount of people are just hopping on the hate wagon.
    A lot of people seem to have issues with mods based on simple misunderstandings, as well. I guess this would better suit the suggestion thread, since a suggestion is what I'm about to make; talk to the mods. From my experience, most, if not all, are more than willing to talk; if they don't know or have a personal issue with the subject, they'll more than likely direct you to a different mod.
    I guess on the discussion side of things, what do you like or dislike that the mods do? Be respectful and courteous, please.

2. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

/me sighs

/me resets the "it's been X amount of days since one of those threads in the general discussions section" timer

3. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

This would be alot more useful if the mods were beings of the material plane, and didn't feast on the fear gripping every mortal heart.

User Was Found Dead of Natural Causes for this Post

4. Burnsalan20

Burnsalan20 New Member

Well when I was applying to join the server a couple of weeks ago a moderator(Not a reviewer) checked my application. This was my first application. It was denied because I didnt respond for a few days, but while it was up the moderator could only tell me that I had a few things missing. I asked several times and revised what I put and asked again if there was anything that was missing and again he said that there are still things missing. This moderator was unwilling to help me yet he was more than willing to end our conversation with:

"You were missing steps in your application. If that doesn't clue you in, I don't know what will besides flat out telling you, which would be too easy."

I wont give the name of the moderator as he already knows who he is and im sure he doesnt usually act like that when players are asking for help.

Which offended me greatly but I did not escalate the issue.
    Other than that one experience all the admins and moderators are excellent in helping with issues players are having.

5. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Reviewers and Moderators aren't allowed to /tell you/ straight up whats wrong with your application. If they were allowed to do so, and did so, you would simply "fix it" and get in without understanding why or truly demonstrating your competence as a roleplayer.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I was going to do something like this but it's too soon for it.

7. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

If it's too soon, I don't mind deleting the thread. I was just legitimately curious, especially since people seem to be extra anti-mod all of a sudden.

8. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Unless a rule was added since i stepped down (im lazy) mods can help you with your app. Admittedly, some apps are fairly terrible. Others just lack well... anything. It wasnt uncommon for those lacking info in their app to get a heads up from the mod or a nudge to give them direction on what they need to do or elaborate on. Admittedly there is or was cynicism about handholding due to the.occasional disapointment.

((Forgive muh smarphone grammar.))

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Mods/Reviewers are allowed to help people on apps limitedly. They can't be direct or obvious about it, as we still need to encourage learning.

10. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

What happenned to the days of " can you expand on the backstory, or what are some flaws? or even, thats not in line with lore"

Wasnt there a push for more leniency?

I could just be really outdated by now :p

11. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

[​IMG]

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

There was. RP quality dropped.

13. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Establishing boundaries is hard, but when they lack too many things, it becomes a tedious work for us, and an outright denial means there's a lot of room for improvement. Those who really wanted to join server have kept trying, and most have earned the right to get in through learning themselves.

14. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Mmm... Ew.
    I do not like that outlook.
    It sounds too much like " you better learn if you want to get accepted. Go learn elsewhere and hope you eventually figure out what your doing wrong by our standard, by receiving no feedback"

And yes I'm a total hypocrite as I lost count of how many times I would just copy/paste the Denied template and lock.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I could keep talking about Reviewers, but that's not what this thread is about.

16. Sen

Sen Guest

you do realize people will just write on their application what they think they think the staff want to hear

17. Narfball

Narfball narfball

^^^ Couldn't have worded that better.

DG, while your argument is valid, it is, to word things bluntly, dumb. You're proposing that we tell them what we think is wrong so they can give us lip service. As was made mention of earlier, helping those who did not succeed at getting into this server degrades the quality of the RP and does nothing positive beyond show that people are more than capable of smiling and nodding.

18. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

that in and of itself is a goid thing because it shows they at the very least grasp whats expected. The characters in the apps hardly matter with the fact that alts arent policed. Which is a good thing. The sole purpose of those apps was a sorta if check to make sure the applicant knows what RP is, can type in english well enough to fit in, and if there are powergamey tendenvies or w/e they can be spotted.

19. Narfball

Narfball narfball

Before I reply, I'm just going to quote myself.

Please note the highlighted red sections.

We're (referring to mods, administrators, and reviewers) here to establish a strong community for the most part -- people who's hands are even remotely held won't learn after that experience, save for with force. It's an efficient method, don't get me wrong, but it hurts the player, it's best to lock them out at the gates than it is to lock them out once they get in.

20. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

If they take the limited advice given, and successfully change their app to something acceptable, then they at the very least know "okay... I cant really do that here." I'm not saying yiu sit there and handhold them through every single step. There have been well-written apps denied because the guy/girl just neednt to expand on a couple things, or had a concept that was a little powergamey or over the top. They got a friendly nudge of... " Hey... thats not quite how we do things here. Adjust this" and lo and behold they were accepted. And didnt cause problems. I'm biased because I more or less had that kind of help from Verita. Because I made the most inane, generic app possible for the sheer fact that guidelines were shoddy.