1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Staff Enforcement Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hello, everyone.

This post is to announce that I have released a new script onto the server that will allow Moderators to enforce the rules while in-game.
    Moderators can now issue both kicks and bans from within the server and they take effect almost immediately after being issued.

Kicks
    It is important for you to be aware that a kick is actually a 1 minute ban, due to a limitation of the operating system. If you have been kicked,
    please wait one minute before attempting to re-join the server. Moderators are to provide you with at least one warning prior to the kick.

Bans
    Moderators cannot apply permanent bans with this tool. Moderators are to provide you with at least two warnings and notify you of both the reason for your ban and it's length of time prior to the ban being issued. If for whatever reason this does not occur, please speak with me over the forum.

Other Changes
    Additionally, there has been a change on the server that may affect quite a few of you. The /nick command has been banned as a requirement for the functionality of the new script. If you use the /nick command, you will be automatically kicked off the server. If you use the /nick command and for whatever reason the script fails to kick you, you may be subject to punishment. It is advised that you do not use the /nick command for these reasons.

I am working on a solution to remove this restriction in the next version of the script, but for now it is unfortunately necessary.

If you need the /nick command to enable whispers for your character, you should take a look at player file editing services or applications (such as http://www.starreader.net) as a method to fix your character name permanently to address this issue. If you need further assistance, check our guides section for more information. If there is nothing there to help you, consider asking someone to make a guide or ask around for help. As a last resort, you may ask a Staff member. Lastly, if you do edit your player file, always keep a backup of the original just in case.

Thanks for reading.

2. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

Don't Freak Out.
    This is probably most important right now.

http://www.starreader.net/

#2 Super Sugar, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  3. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

sucks

4. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

GOOD! The Mods need dat powers so can ban peeps right away, i am glad that can happen, even though it means no more /nick

5. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

My opinion: /nick is an unneeded command. I've seen it used for more stupidity than for people actually changing character names.

I can understand that some people want to have a compound, or full name above their head (I can feel this for the Cole "twins" that I am incapable of identifying separately). The spacebar is a flavour choice, and although I haven't ever seen a reason to use it myself, I would wager someone could give me a decent enough reason why.

I'm not entirely sure what use kicks will be to the staff, and could see mistakes being made. In my experience, kicks are used in lieu of actually talking to the person about what they did wrong. "Kick it and forget it" style of moderation can work for black and white situations, but I honestly don't think that happens terribly often here. I would discourage use of the kick unless it is clearly the proper choice (and I'm struggling to think of an example for this).

Good shit on the ban rules. I think it is really important to get the person being banned's perspective on the matter before actually doing everything. Sometimes, they will be a flying whore-mcguffin that is uncooperative and combative. They get to enjoy some extra time off, while sometimes misunderstandings are had and simply speaking with the mods could clear that up.

After the kerfuffle I had, I'm really glad to see the step being taken that ensures it can't happen again. Cheers to Kaz, and whoever else did the work to put this together.

6. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Hence why we have to actually warn players FIRST, can't just kick people out of the blue, it is an extremely unprofessional way to handle things. The purpose of kicks is more for when certain players are being immediately disruptive and refuse to stop, but do not merit a ban, as well as other cases where a warning is too soft, but a ban is too harsh, a nice middle ground. Kicks last approximately one minute, and once they are up you can log back in without issue.

7. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Excessive OOC comes to mind quite easily.

8. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I do remember a group of players taunting Dreganius when he told them to stop Galaxy Chat OOC yesterday, so I'm quite happy that there are kicks being put in. In fact, in a situation where you're mocking someone for asking you to stop, I'd argue that a warning might not even be necessary >_>

9. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

I find myself guilty of this - In certain situations where my character is doing nothing and there's something big going on (IE, bar shootout), I tend to just OOC. So, kicking people like me in that certain situation if given a warning would probably be for the better and speed things up with less drama.

Edit: Let me rephrase. "If given a warning and it goes unheeded"

10. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

I need the /nick command for my character. Or did. He is SUPPOSED to have a vigilante-like thing going on. And it's true. And before anyone /shitposts about me doing this, legitimate reason acquired. He chose to fight crime right before the USAF raid thing and he is still ex-USAF, but has chose to hide his identity while fighting crime and not have ties to any factions unless needed. Not trying to be a dick or anything. Just my 2 cents.

11. Cunning

Cunning New Member

CRAP! Now I can't be edgy and mask my identity with "xX Pr0 SNiPES Xx, the Darkness Wolf Vampire"

Also, /nick seems like a good command to have for people that properly RP as someone who wants to keep their identity hidden or attempt a mugging or other daring feats. Just putting a mask on and telling the person to ignore your name leads to metagame, and although this is a whitelist server, it's human nature to metagame either accidentally or purposefully. It's not a bad thing, it's just automatic and people may accidentally reveal metagamed information without knowing beforehand. Now there's two people in that predicament.

Personally, /nick isn't a priority, but it'd be nice to have.

#2cents
    don't hurt me for hashtagging

12. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

I agree that, in some situations, /nick is actually pretty nice, and we will probably try to find a way to restore it in the near future. However, for now, this is a bit more important, so it's an unpleasant sacrifice we'll have to temporarily make.

rip prosniperxxxmetalgearbrony

Also, given our newfound lack of the /nick command, we've decided to add a couple entries to the FAQ about how to change your character's name (and description!) with StarReader. Some other related entries will be added in the near future, but, for now, they are there if anyone needs them for reference. As always, feel free to send a message to any of the staff if you have any questions!

(Or, y'know, post in this thread.)

(ImeanIwon'tjudge.)

13. Chronicle

Also, we don't honestly care about OOC if it's not in Galaxy chat and everyone on the planet is basically okay with it. If it's obstructive to roleplay, that's when we have a bit of trouble with it and will tell people to cut it out. However, if you're on a planet talking in OOC with your four buddies and literally nobody minds it, we're sure not going to get on you about it. I do it sometimes, myself.

Usually, the biggest problems we have with excessive, unnecessary OOC come up in Galaxy chat. Which, you know, no one can actually avoid. That's a pain.

14. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

kicks were needed for a long time and I'm glad this has finally been implemented, shame about no more /nick but hey that might get fixed later

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

People should remember that just because you can see someone's name, it doesn't mean you know who they are.
    That's meta-gaming and a bannable offense.

16. Chronicle

It is, but I can see why people would want to /nick themselves just to avoid the drama. Because, in any RP community, metagame is absolutely bound to happen. We proceed to handle it, of course, but... yeah, it's a pain.

To be honest I've sometimes /nick'd myself for the same reason, just because I didn't want to deal with any OOC trouble.

But yeah, not much we can do about it now. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon. At any rate, the benefits to this should outweigh the singular drawback, for now.

17. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

If people wanted to actually hide themselves ICly, they wouldn't chat on the radio and go to populated places.

18. Chronicle

Ah, but there's hiding, and then there's disguising~

19. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Which more or less amounts to something like this on the server.

20. Cunning

Cunning New Member

No one uses this for robberies or things of the such?

"Brian" one second, "Mysterious Man In Black" the next, readily waiting around the corner with a phase knife.