1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

An interesting observation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donovennn, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I have noticed that, to my knowledge, there is an interesting dynamic in Floran societies on this server.
    (this is just based on personal experience so maybe I'm wrong. I'm just throwing this out there.)
    Most (not all) of the male Florans I've met (my own character included...) are rather civilized, and actively try to fit in with society (or total wimps).
    The Floran females on the other hand, are in general more prone to violence and tribal values.
    While this is probably a coincidence, one could take it ICly that Florans are in fact a matriarchal race, like wasps, spiders, ect. with the females being more aggressive and violent, and the males being more docile.

2. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Interesting observation for a hermaphrodite race (female boobs doesn't have any actual use apart aesthetics).

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

My first floran character was male and as vicious as they come. He's dead so for the sake of variety my second main floran character is female.

Since florans don't actually have genders, and the male and female difference is purely cosmetic anyway.

4. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

after hours of careful deliberation i have come to the observation that both female and male florans are shit

make a glitch

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

From my observations there is about an equal split of "civilized"(See: Human) "male" and "female" Florans. However, there are far more "female" Florans in general. They're just more common on the server. Something something sexy plant boobs.

Edit: As for matriarchal, that wouldn't work because they are in fact hermaphroditic (I'm pretty sure it's hermaphroditic, not asexual. Asexual would be silly.)

Worst race anyway. Make an Avian.

6. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Floran best race

7. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

best at being shitty

8. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Making female floran is a good excuse to roleplay a "wild woman" if you know what i mean
    Btw. Florans sucks play as glitch

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Glitch suck, play a feral carnivorous plant that can wield an assault rifle

10. Keycross

Make a new thread called "Best race?" to compete for supremacy.

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

To get back on topic: Florans are portrayed to have a... very cruel and unforgiving meritocracy in which killing the person above you means getting their place. Hunting the best means being recognized as the best hunter. Being the second best hunter and killing the best hunter means you're now the best hunter. Killing the chieftain means becoming the new chief. That kind of thing.

A matriarchy is impossible simply because it requires a separation of genders, which the Florans don't have (and I believe naturally don't have a concept of.) The fact that so many Florans identify as a gender is the product of lazy writing again. This time ours and not the devs. It's difficult to play an opposing gender, never you mind something that doesn't have a concept of gender. It's also difficult to remember to write "it" instead of "he" or "she".

It's like Florans who act like humans, really. It comes down to one of two things. The first is an unfamiliarity with the content one is portraying and thus a reversion to what is easiest; or it's simply that someone wants to shove a unique trait on their character that has long stopped being a unique trait. Snowflake Syndrome. The struggle is real.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Part of the problem Is that the English language doesn't really work for a gender neutral people, unlike some other languages. I use he or she for my floran characters OOC but IC have them have triouble remembering what to call each gender

13. Keycross

They are still 'it', regardinge there's no real he or she. Characters may call them he or she because they are oblivious to the fact they don't have gender, but florans themselves should know better than there's no concept as he/she, and regarding their relationships they couldn't care less for the same reason.

14. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

I was wondering why it's said they don't have gender.

15. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

The only issue with using "it" over "he" or "she" is that it may cause people to become disconnected from their character simply because "it" is a neutral term usually used for objects or derogatorily.

As for it saying they don't have gender, that's what is said canonically. In the lore they are referred to as "Asexual". Although that's an odd term because it means that an organism literally doesn't have gender and reproduces alone. This would mean that Florans reproduce from themselves, no need for a sexual partner. Most plants reproduce sexually, however they have both male and female parts.

Sexual reproduction is more advantageous for evolution in some cases, because it means that an offspring can combine the best traits of its parents and the gene-pool is diversified. It's the reason inbreeding leads to damaging mutations so often. A lack of diversity means genetics become bottle-necked and less adaptive. Not to mention that we inherit our immune systems from our parents, so species are more prone to infection except in outlying mutations. This is fine in something like bacteria, which reproduce at such a rate as the threat of extinction by inbreeding is minimized by a sheer overwhelming of threats through mutation and numbers.

But organisms of the complexity as plants and animals don't reproduce that quickly, and so sexual reproduction is safer genetically speaking. I would assume, then, that Florans are hermaphroditic, not asexual. They still require the combination of two cells from two individuals to improve diversity in their gene pool and competition of their genetic fields.

TL/DR: It makes more sense for Florans to be hermaphrodites than asexual.

16. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

...welp.
    Um, ok then. Sorta forgot about the hermaphrodite thing.... well thanks for the input, then.

17. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Poor Don. :( You had no idea this would happen did you ;)

18. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

ITT: Steamy botany lessons.

carry on.

19. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

what have I created........

20. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Actually the lore says unisexual, not asexual