1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Toxicity Issue

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Rezima, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olivia

Olivia New Member

The amount of illiteracy and bad roleplay that has been plaguing the server recently is depressing.

#241 Olivia, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Sen

Sen Guest

The issue is that inconsiderate players who exploit rules for the purpose of shielding themselves from criticism often do not consider it exploitation.

3. Rezima

Rezima New Member

If you feel someone is exploiting this, knowingly or not, let us know. Criticism will ALWAYS be allowed, no matter what, so long as it remains civil and constructive.

'I believe your character to be thematically inconsistent, why would someone from a low income background have access to expensive technology and weapons?'
    -Perfectly okay!

'hey dumbass, loving the fact that your poor street rat character somehow has power armour and a battle cruiser, REALLY makes sense'

-Maybe rethink the wording on this a bit,

4. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

both messages are the same, only the semantics differ - I have addressed this before, people will get defensive over both

your crackdown will accomplish nothing

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Semantics and tone of reasoning make a huge difference. People are often much more open to suggestion when you don't insult them directly as a person and instead be civil.

If people continue to refuse to change when asked nicely, and it is actually a problem, then they will be removed/disciplined/covered-in-cheese like the others.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'd say your perspective there is the bigger issue.

7. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

Uhhm, so if both have the same effect of "nothing", and convey the same meaning. . . Why do the path that gets you the speaker in trouble?
    I don't agree with the sentiment; I've seen players turn around after a deliberate sit down with more experienced people who carried the conversation with tact and patient explanation.
    But the logical fallacy you've created makes me think you're only arguing for the sake of arguing.
    ((seriously why is there so many people lately who think they can pull a Sen everywhere; that man is an artist with words, you're a journeymen at best))

8. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

thanks for that fantastic contribution to the conversation

[​IMG]

9. Leschinsky

[​IMG]
    I can respond in snarky images too, with sarcastic short wrap-ups;
    I'm not sure why you replied, I wasn't talking about you.

10. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

the speaker only gets in trouble because the rules say the speaker gets in trouble

the speaker should not get in trouble, the rules are wrong, wrong rules should be changed

I am not an artist and to claim I am an artist would be foolish, I am just a plumber with words

I clean up your shit-clogged pipes

11. Leschinsky

The speaker initiates contact, starts the conversation, and sets the tone,

If you lack the self-control not to personally insult someone over their RP character at every turn,

Then you need guidance in policies and moderators to stop you.

If you derive enjoyment from talking down on others in the same fashion;

we need the policies and mods to keep you away from us.

12. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

My ulterior motive for saying that your condescending post did not add all that much to the conversation was because I thought that your condescending post did not add all that much to the conversation, you got me.

13. Leschinsky

The conversation is about the Toxicity issue.
    Your's, Edvyn's, and several others' names continually are mentioned with this issue.
    I personally believe you are part of the problem.
    My ulterior motive with posting what I've seen was to voice what I've seen, you got me.

14. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

can't you keep away from me on your own? do you lack the self-control to keep away from me?

do you need policies and mods to silence people who say mean things at you over the internet? can't you just do that with your superior grasp of words?

do you think policies and mods are a viable substitute to proving your attackers wrong? can you prove your attackers wrong? are your attackers right? who are your attackers? did I attack you? am I attacking you now? are you attacking me by mimicking my style of posting? will policies and mods keep you away from me?

why do you need policies and mods to protect you from me? I can't possibly be that intimidating

15. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

I agree with Lechnisky here. The amount of contribution from you two (Edvyn and Badstar)has seemed on a rapid decline. Exchanged for inflammatory statements, pessimistic "What's-the-points?" and purely antagonizing statements meant only to provoke backlash and derail subjects. Snarkiness, and even some passive aggression is fine, expected. But it should support or be conveyed through something that is more than just being rude to be rude.

The reason it is better to be polite is to avoid this very situation, in which things deteriorate from criticism, to debate, to argument, to spiteful flaming back and forth. The strongest evidence the mods need to be harsher is that neither of you have been banned for intentionally inflaming conversations.

16. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

this is false, I have been banned for this

17. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

You don't ignore the weeds when maintaining a garden, you pluck them out so it doesn't hurt your prized flowers and veggies.

18. Leschinsky

Careful in the third act, the Monkeys are gonna do a number on your strawman.
    To answer in order;
    -No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no you are not.

19. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

The fact that you seemingly have not learned your lesson (or are completely ignoring it if you have) says a lot, I think.

20. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

it says bans don't change minds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.