1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Toxicity Issue

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Rezima, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rezima

Rezima New Member

EDIT: We now also have a private forum for reporting. Only you and Staff can see the threads you make. Please address your concerns with other players in this forum when needed. It's under the Security forum. - Kazyyk

Over the course of the last month we have noticed a rise in generally unacceptable behavior. Flaming,
    insults, personal attacks, cruelty, offensive comments, and off topic posts litter the forums. We make remarks about 'toxic players' and 'forum toxicity' so frequently now that the word has lost all meaning.

This issue has much improved since our recent restructuring of the Code of Conduct, and it has served to create a much healthier environment for our players; however, despite this the problem persists.
    Our goal is not to make the problem better or less apparent, our goal is to fix this problem in its entirety.

So we, the staff, are announcing a new system of zero tolerance.

If you see something you find to be flaming, distasteful, offensive, or malicious, report it to the staff. This is not to say we want you to report every single possible issue, we aren't looking for trouble where there is none. But if someone is legitimately causing a problem and we haven't spotted it yet, quietly report it to us so that we can take action. Do not attack offending players, do not respond to their messages, do not take matters into your own hands, it always devolves into another flame war. Notify the staff and we will handle it.

We are done playing nice with players who are incapable of being nice themselves, if someone cannot at the very least be civil to their fellow players then we see no reason for them to continue to be a part of this community.

This is the last warning we will give on the matter, be antagonistic to other players at your own risk.

#1 Rezima, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I am worried about this more than I should be, aren't I?

3. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

I honestly think this is kind of a bad way to go about this. After all, people tend to do dumb things when they're angry. Someone could say something that they might regret, or that they wouldn't say again, and then what happens? You guys seem to be implying that a single hostile comment or a specific act of volatile behavior can result in a permanant ban. Why not ban them for a week? For a month? Or are you guys just being a bit harsh with your wording?

4. skipi

skipi New Member

I want to make a joke about reporting you for saying something malicious, but now I'm scared.

5. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Wonder what would happen if one of the mods don't like what I'm saying. Would it be considered flaming?

Hope this rule is used right. Situations with Ariexe and myself are understandable, but otherwise everything else is left to opinion. Really, you could piss people off if you're not careful with how you do things.

6. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

[​IMG]

Yay

7. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We aren't looking to punish players over tiny insignificant offenses with this, if someone reports you for something minor and low key we will in all likelihood either do nothing at all or simply issue a warning if it merits one.

We aim to stop players that are without a doubt in the wrong, that are purposely malicious with their posts, as well as repeat offenders who have proven that they are incapable of changing for the better.

We are not looking to ban anyone for brief flashes of anger or anything of that nature, they happen, we understand that. And we are hesitant to permanently ban ANYONE, but simply warning doesn't seem to be working. Which is why we are issuing this mass warning in regards to flaming and antagonistic posts, if you purposely set out to hurt another player we will not be warning you, we will be jumping straight to short temporary bans, or worse if you are a repeat offender.

This will likely not effect a majority of the community, most all of you are great people and have nothing to worry about from this.

8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

[​IMG]
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

9. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Thats...bad, I don't think the mods intend for people to get scared and feel like they have to start tip-toeing around now. But at the same time I implore you both to think a little more and maybe re-read the post. He means to report players that are being legitimately problematic, intentionally, so that they can handle it themselves without letting it turn into one big flame war. Take the knives out of the monkeys hands.

10. skipi

skipi New Member

What is considered problematic? At what point does criticism end and personal attacks begin? I would make an example but now I feel afraid to.

11. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Well this seems a bit excessive.

12. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

So how would we know when we're out of line? And how would it not be a matter of personal opinion by moderators, but instead an official one?

*EDIT*
    Not to sound hard here. But there should be some serious consideration with what I'm saying. Things get dangerous with this kind of power. Before I had a post deleted from the admin because it was critical of the server. Should these things be considered flaming or just a critical viewpoint on how things work?

13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

No, this does not cover personal bias or opinion whatsoever, you can have whatever opinions about us that you wish, so long as you are civil about it, no one should feel like they have to walk on eggshells around us. Say whatever you want to,
    just don't be antagonistic without cause, use your best judgement, if you think something you are saying is overtly rude or offensive, it is probably best to rethink the post.

14. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

We here at SBRP do not appreciate the toxic environment that the community has become, so we have decided to supplant it with a nanny state where you have to constantly fear that whatever you say to people isn't 'too mean' for fear of being banned.

[​IMG]

Long Live The Hugbox™

15. skipi

skipi New Member

R.I.P.

16. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I see someone loves testing the waters more than me!

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

We aren't the bad guys, only the peace keepers.

18. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

See, I don't really get it. The tone and message behind this post feels entirely different from the one in the OP. In one, you guys are making it sound like the slightest screw-up could result with serious consequences (that's kind of what zero tolerance is, after all), and in the other you guys make it sound like everything's like it normally is; repeat offenders will be punished.

This feels back and forth.

also rip badstar

19. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Judge Dredd was a peacekeeper too

20. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Make love, not war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.