1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Should we make a list of all military powers and their canon branches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hour, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hour

Hour Dogu

I'm sure people are tired of weird incoherency with people's IC backstories, so I propose a thread where we can straighten this out by listing all the government and military agencies that exist, and then merge people's assumptions into groups that will be more coherent in their previous/current activities.

Tell me if this idea is dumb or not.

Example, you want to make a character whose backstory involves a slightly sketchy scientific human organization, however you're not sure if that already exists. This list would have something akin to that, for you to choose.

I'd of course like to have as many PM me with groups or ideas of said organizations, then whichever has the most fluid, sensical one would be listed, and the ideas merged into one glorious piece of IC, for use.

Also, those who have the most fluid/detailed elaboration on said groups would get to basically set the rules for them. Since I worked heavily on canon for the Disphots, anyone who wanted an ex-Disphot, could simply message me and I'd give them the lowdown on what they do, how they work, etc.

#1 Hour, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Which government and military agencies are you expecting? Human ones?

3. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

+1

I think it's a good idea. A pool of knowledge about all military powers who publicly list themselves.

4. Hour

Hour Dogu

All of them, the purpose of the thread would be to compile a list of canonical organizations for every race's individual militaries/important groups.
    This would not just be military, analytical, and any other sort've organization, related or not to the government would be there, for use in character backstories.

And it wouldn't be for just public powers, it would encompass every branch so people know what to do if they assign things to their character's backstory to be fleshed out.

5. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

This is a good idea, I think. The game has its own lore in place, and we would have to be very careful to avoid infringing/changing that, but it would be fantastic for new applicants, and a fun roleplaying flavor element as well.

6. Keycross

So it's canon organizations, extracted from every race lore?

7. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but at least for Humans it is assumed that Naval rankings are used to space branches of the military. The Hylotl armour clearly describes their ranks and titles.

Making people do a little research into their backstory isn't a terrible idea.

I am sort of unclear by what you mean by all of this, so I apologise in advance if I am way off.

8. Hour

Hour Dogu

Yes, and the few that aren't canon technically, that have sprouted up -since we're an RP server, we can't rely /completely/ on vanilla canon.

Nothin' to do with that, while I get people doing research is all fun n' good, it'd probably be best if everyone was on the same page as to what said groups did canonically. This has nothing to do with people knowing what they're called rather, what they've done so far/and are according to the servers arc.

9. November

Staff Member

I sort of get you. I have a personal bias against establishing "server canon" because it can be (wrongly) used to squash overzealous creativity that needs to be made honest, instead of squelching it because it's not canon.

The USIM/USCM/Spes marunes had their ranks listed, and pay grades on the wiki. This the sort of thing you are talking about?

10. Hour

Hour Dogu

Pretty much, but I wanted to create a universal list, I was inspired to do so after hearing a great indepth explaination of a nice backstory organization in the USCM, that I doubt the person had cleared with anyone, but was beautiful regardless. It'd list stuff like that, and direct people to the list for inspiration, etc.

11. November

Staff Member

Who are you proposing doing it for? AFAIK there really aren't any true militaries atm...except maybe The Order.

12. Keycross

See, the idea isn't bad, but if we have to list canon ones,and a few others which have sprouted up, list won't be long, not to mention some race (like avians) have a massive gap there.

I'm not comfortable limiting them to the list, though- that list means limiting characters to that list, unless it's more for reference and getting ideas rather than a closed one, as a plain guide.

13. Avis

We would need to explain how long the non-canon organizations have been around, as well, to avoid people saying "My character was an RA Admiral ten years ago" When the RA was only around for a few months, and no one even achieved the rank of Admiral.

14. Avis

I don't think he's saying that the players have to abide entirely by those guidelines; it would allow room for creativity, such as private organizations, or even special branches that aren't common knowledge, i.e. meaning they don't exist in lore.

15. Animator

Animator New Member

This will be difficult, especially with the oncoming update that's hanging over our heads. If it can be pulled off, though, then sure, just be careful with skirting the line between canon and fanon.

16. Hour

Hour Dogu

Oh no of course not, the list can always freely be added too, but it'll make it easier, and cannon more coherent if people want something multiple people are apart of, plus it'll foster roleplay between groups of people who want to be from the same place.

And yes, this sums up my intention quite nicely.

Yep, it'd involve getting infor from people of course, but I think most've got the general ideas of how long those sort've groups were around.

17. Hour

Hour Dogu

Bumping, a few more opinions and I'll make the thread.

18. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Players making themselves the sole authority on a canon SB faction doesn't sound like a good idea.

19. Avis

Not to belittle Hour's work, but I agree with this. If anything, I'd suggest that we only stick to factions that were actually admitted to the faction list.

20. Keycross

Anyway, I just raised some doubts, felt the original post lacked quite a bit of information in which direction was going the idea.

If it's just like a guide, go for it.