1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tulipa, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Tulipa

Tulipa New Member

LOOK AWAY FROM THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A HUGE WHINE.
    You have been warned.

Okay, so, yeah, I've been away for AGES. And I've never felt the need to keep playing on this server. And I've never really known why, up until now. And this is JUST my opinion. And it is JUST my fault. Okay? Good.

The community isn't "welcoming", "polite" or "sensible"

There were quotes on those words for a reason. The community is polite and sensible, and by damn are they welcoming, but they aren't with perhaps older players, and due to the fact there have been a lot of rule changes recently, are basically become critics over characters. (Note, this is again how I feel. It is MY opinion.)

So, starts off with me "Hey, I'ma go play Starbound RP." I hop on New Chicago for the first time and head to the bar. Sit down for a couple minutes, a player comes to talk to me. We converse and eventually I state that my character, Tulip, is a musician, Mercenary and a "Doctor".

I get the responses:
    (( of course ))
    (( because everyone is a ninja doctor mercenary biologist scientist knight ))

BEFORE I had chance to explain. Tulip isn't even a good doctor. She has basic medical training at the least. That's three things, three skills, three roles. With MUSICIAN being the strongest one by far. Tulip doesn't even work as a merc half the time on the server and only "background RP" which doesn't involve any players but my own character/s. Seriously.

I've only seen this happen to me. Everyone will probably think I'm some gigantic asshole now. Or a whiner. Which I am. To be fair, I did get a little too angry and most of this was written at 11pm where I live, so I'm tired. Very tired. I dunno. I can't really blame all the community, but the worst I've seen.

I'm done whining.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

They reacted properly, IMO.
    They saw your character as a failrp and pointed it out.
    *Shrug*

3. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

Inb4 toxic posts

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

People have become jaded when it comes to alot of things on this server, the sad thing is alot of time it has merit. Don't let that stop you though, it really is never to late to prove someone wrong just by doing what you do, especially if it is roleplayed well.

5. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

With some RP, I try to play my character with some of the knowledge I have OOCly. Knowing how to use a vantage point, making booby traps, watching my back, basic survival training - all good skills for the makings of a Bounty Hunter, but.. I attended three different martial arts schools while I was growing up, one focusing on pole-arms, staves and one-handed swords. I also play three musical instruments OOCly. My mother is a nurse director, so I know a bit of medical lingo (and how to yell at people to get shit done). I use to go to work with my Father and watch his team wire newly built homes and businesses. I worked part-time as a Realtor's assistant doing paperwork, so I have a mild understanding of how a business operates. All of these things I know OOCly, yet I am reluctant to RP everything I want to do in one character.

In short, I agree that there are things happening that the majority of the players here congregate on. Sadly, they are the majority, so I just do what makes me the happiest and try not to become 'that person'. <3

6. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Yes because jumping right to the gun and saying someone is failrping because of three traits without explanation is totally sensible, in my opinion.

7. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Also it probably was uncalled for considering they don't know your character, but it's clear they were just snarking with no real malice towards you, if anything it's not a thing to kick up a huge fuss about

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Once everyone is jaded, it'll all smooth out.
    Obviously not ideal, but the community dictates itself.
    Not I, nor the Staff, can control attitudes.

9. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

At least your not another uber hacker or carrying portal black holes.

I for one welcome more musicians and medics, however unlearned.

10. The Big Bad Wolf

His response is an excellent example of how pleasant our community can be at times.

These types of people along with the person who made the comment to tulip in-game are parasitic to the server.

Being a bounty hunter, ninja, warrior, soldier, merc, makes you an "edgelord" throw on a cape and lol.. communities on you like flies on shit.

End of the day its this kind of attitude which discourages people from remaining active, and it is this kind of attitude which will over time create a dull generic "second life"(google it) wanna be.

Long as the persons not teleporting (like night crawler), throwing ka may ha may ya's, or anything else of that nature the community should relax.

The OOc nonsense like cat gun, and powder of death stem from boredom.

11. The Big Bad Wolf

The community respects you and the other moderators. Psychologically it is only natural they would. Don't sound so powerless.

12. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

It sounds like you're character is perfectly realistic;
    People have alot of skills from different chapters of their lives.
    I know how to dismantle and clean an AK-47 from when I lived with an avid gun-owner.
    I also know how to set and cure cement to have a glassy surface from an apprentice-ship.
    These aren't things I consider hobbies, far from a profession.
    For pluck's sake; my own father is an RN at a hyperbarics facility here at the hospital, but is also a lifetime musician.
    Whether or not he was ever a mercenary, too, is blacklisted.

It's just the knee-jerk reaction that if your character has more than one "common"((for the server)) skill, it's bad and unbalanced.
    In summary; this person overreacted to what he saw as another example of "good-at-everything" characters, when really it's a renaissance man; journeyman of many skills, expert at none.

13. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

The word 'skill' is being used as a good buzzword here, but it's being used improperly. Rather, the issue seems to be that you're holding a bunch of PROFESSIONS. To call oneself something like a "Doctor" means you've invested serious time into learning to practice, and becoming certified in, medicine. I believe this issue stems from a bias, as recently we've had a lot of people who work as skilled doctors, skilled weapons developers, skilled vehicle developers, skilled mercenaries and skilled researchers all at the same time.

While the comments were likely a snap judgement on the part of the offender, the intent isn't that you should have only one skill. It is simply that most people only have one professional level skill that they train and dedicate to the point of career in life at a time.

14. Switchback

Wait what?

15. The Big Bad Wolf

The first sentence was sarcasm, meant to compliment the sarcasm you originally posted.

The rest was my opinion in addition to what you said.

16. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

Hi Tulip, I remember you. The character applies the multifacet skills well, but is now one of many with a similar description. I've doctored with you, and honestly anyone with the ability to remain calm is a decent medic.

The opinions of people that barely know the character should only be taken for what they are worth: you now know the immediate preconceptions people OOC'ly and often IC'ly have about your character. Preconceptions are cool, and nearly always wrong. Have fun proving that, because then you get to IC'ly flip the bird to all the haters when they come to love and adore you.

Things are only insults if you take them as such. People will say things that they aught not to. There are no bad people, just bad choices. [insert another generic phrase here]. Take toxic {He said toxic, everyone take a drink!} comments and do something constructive with it.

17. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

i found something [​IMG]

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The bigger problem I see here is someone broke character to inject needless OOC commentary.

19. Switchback

ahh righto righto, had to be sure.