1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

"It's just a game!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TAP123, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I thought this would be a good topic for some thoughtful discussion!

Jokes aside, what do you guys think when you hear this phrase in reference to Starbound and this roleplay community?

2. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Ariexe.

3. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Roleplay in general, at least to me, means you put yourself in another life. And that means everything that comes with it. Some people are emotionally invested in it, some people are not. Some people take it seriously, some people dont. Something that stems from your imagination, something that you've put time and effort into only to have it just go away without anyone caring? Not all people are like that. Some people actually care about what happens to their characters. Weather good or bad.
    I may just be rambling now, i dont know i just woke up when i saw this. All i'm saying is, its not all just a game to some people, some people take it seriously for their own reasons and people should respect that.

4. Diddums

Diddums That Loveable Lad

I think the very fact that a thread about the link between taking a game too seriously and the forum/server is actually appropriate in the current state of things, shows that many people within the community either think the things that occur on the server/forums have transcended "just a game status," or have a very broad image of what "just a game" extends to.

tl;dr I'm dumb and can't do sentences properly.

5. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

It's kinda weird.

6. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

;~;

Weird or not. its how some of us are.

7. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

It's a game, play it as such to relax or don't play it at all. Simple.

8. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

FFPLEASE.

9. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

TAP123
    C'mon, he just said that telling him that his rp is bad is like telling 6 years old kid he will be no one.

10. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I find that to be true. Honestly, have you tried posting ideas for roleplay on here? When a bunch of people essentially put your idea down, when this is a community for roleplay, it's not fun at all. Maybe talking to them in a different approach rather than going to immediately criticize their roleplay would help. If you were doing bad at roleplay, instead of having people critisize it all the time, wouldn't you like if someone worked to help you or offer more roleplay possibilities? Sometimes being friendly can be better for a change.

11. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

PFSH
    _____
    Reflexion time, I think that I realised what dick I am sometimes.

12. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Nobody should be here to judge. Even though people will anyways. One piece of advice someone told me when I'd talk to them about issues I'm having with people is that "You can't change people, you can only change yourself". I can't force you to stop having a certain attitude or act a certain way. Same for everyone else. You probably know where I'm going with this.

13. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

realest of realness talks right now

guys

we are playing make believe in a 2d side-scrolling pixel-style sandbox game that takes place in the future and has man-eating plant people, talking man-birds and medieval robots

we are playing make believe with others

guys

really

calm down

14. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

THIS IS SERIOUS SO SHHHHH

15. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

Get some vitamin D.

please.

Your mother is worried sick.

16. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Seriousness? If you are so attached to a character that harm to it causes you sever distress, even if you harm others (with glee), then you are investing an unhealthy amount into a character. A bit of emotion at someone dying, or disappointment is fine, we feel a bit of sorrow and emotion over characters all the time. But living through your character is called "Self-Insertion." It's often considered a bad practice in writing. Beyond that, you're actually putting yourself into emotional distress, which is bad.

Not to mention that it often leads to people jumping through hoops to avoid consequence, or realistic anything. It seriously effects the mood and writing of everyone else in doing so. My advice? Don't do anything obsessively. Go outside, go to school, get a job. Balance things in your life. Stop being so misanthropic. Humanity is equally terrible and great, strive to find the greatness (hint, it's not on the internet). It's like to make you happier and more fulfilled in the long-run. Starbound isn't going to last forever.

After-all, it's just a game.

17. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Bro, get some yourself!

18. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Any problem that can be solved by turning off a monitor is not a real problem.

19. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

My thoughts.

It in indeed a game.

It's a game we invested our time, money, imagination, and more in. And if/when someone decides to continuously disrupt the atmosphere people have worked hard to create, the game ceasing being fun.

If a player enjoys causing trouble as their form of playing the game, that's cool, just do it with like-minded people.

Many people also say, if someone is bothering you, just leave. That is not a valid solution. As you are part of the community, and if someone is just being an ass without reason, THEY are the ones who should be removed.

None of us should be required or told that they should be the ones to run off when they are not in the wrong.

When I first joined the server, the atmosphere was friendly, open, welcoming. Nobody was really overtly cruel to anyone. [ooc of course, some people you would roast on a spit ic]

The server has fallen on some hardships recently, and some steps are being taken to get things patched up right.

But if everyone accepts the mentality of, "it's just a game, deal wit hit" or "don't like it, leave", and nothing is done, where things need doing.

What will you have left?
    Only the people who drove everyone else away.

/endnonangryrant

20. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This is different than taking things too seriously. With this I agree. You play a game (however you play it) to have fun. If it becomes a chore because others are intentionally disrupting that fun, then they are the problem, and should be dealt with.