1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Why edgelords were unwelcome

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loveless, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loveless

Loveless New Member

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_674_15-science-myths-you-probably-believe-thanks-to-movies/
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19781_6-stupid-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20453_6-spectacularly-bad-ideas-movies-convinced-you-are-badass.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
    http://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound

I mean, I could go on, but these are more for a personal reference. For those of you who have read this much anyway,
    Where should the line be between realism and goofy hollywood tropes?
    Obviously we want a firm basis in reality, but it's the nature of some RPers to bend and twist reality like a jump rope for the sake of fun; which isn't honestly that bad and so far it's really all been about consent--

That said, it's pretty confusing for cartoon logic to work in one area and another being scrutinized for every ounce of perceived realism. (and don't go "oh this game also has sentient plants, so realism isn't needed" because quite honestly every universe has to have some kind of laws to abide by)

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

3. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

My space desert eagle is made from impervium, so it's the perfect gun.

4. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

*Tips fedora while smirking and simultaneously unsheathing my Impervium Shotgun Plasma Stun Chainsaw Katana*

5. skipi

skipi New Member

*tips katana and unsheathes fedora*

6. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

"were" implies they may be welcome now

7. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Look out he's got a Fedora!

8. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

There's a difference between fantastical and stupid

Robots are fantastical
    Laser guns are fantastical
    Space-ships are fantastical

Dodging bullets point-blank is stupid
    Deflecting bullets with a sword is stupid
    Pulling a gun on someone who has you at gunpoint is stupid

9. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Shooting a rocket launcher in a bar is stupid.
    Wielding huge miniguns/rocket launchers is stupid.
    Having 6-8 pistols on you is stupid.
    Flowing energy/electricity through your hands from some small device in your body is stupid.

And all of that happened.

10. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

The main problem will always be that the most experience any of us actually have with firearms will be from watching them in movies, where basic physics and logic are commonly broken in favor of more explosions and general badassery.

The following train of thought thusly follows:

Do I know how painful a bullet impacting my flesh would be? No, I've never been shot- but I've seen it in movies and they always get back up after they get shot in the leg! That must be somewhat realistic! Character now tanks through bullet wounds.

Do I know what it feels like to fire a gun? No, I've never fired one, but I've seen it in movies and they commonly one-hand or even dual wield pistols with little to no adverse effect on their bodies or their ability to brutally murder their opponent! That must be somewhat realistic! Character now one-hands pistols, has amazing accuracy, and also gains the ability to wield obscenely large weaponry that by all rights should only be attached to vehicles.

11. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Yeah, people tend to do retarded things

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Not really, in real life back when pistols could only fire one shot before needing reloading people would strap like 6 pistols to themselves so they could fire more shots in a row.

13. skipi

skipi New Member

That's just impractical.

14. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

This isn't the 1400-1700's. This is the year 2414 in Starbound. Guns have more than 1 bullet. So yes in this case it is ridiculously stupid.

15. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Especially when said guns are all concealed.

16. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I actually have this thing I've been trying to make but I can't because I can't install starcheat because mac. Was wondering if it was to crazy.
    Anyway, it's basically this personal anti-tank rifle (obviously shrunk to reasonable size.) with a sword running down the barrel.
    Yes it's not very realistic, but I like it. I do try to keep it not op, though.
    -firing rate is slow, so I can't just break everything with a storm of bullets.
    -sword portion is heavy so I can't go flailing it around like a goddamn fairy
    -whole contraption is too heavy to use on my own, has to be used while wearing an exo-suit or power armor, so I can't just have it on me all the time.
    -and duh cannot be concealed.

to be honest, it's not an item I actually have in game, because aforementioned thing with starcheat, but it's just like in his closet or something.

So yeah, I was just wondering about it.

17. Loveless

Loveless New Member

A large, clunky missle launcher glorified with what's essentially a scaled bayonette doesn't sound that bad if it requires special gear to fire, but as a point of reference snipers normally require a second person to absorb the blast of the rifle, though as long as you keep it large and unconcealable it's hard for anyone to argue with it.

My synopsis is it should be fine. And if you want help making it, I can see if I can make time to discuss it, send me a PM

18. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I agree with what you say, but it's not really a sniper rifle. I mean, it doesn't use a scope or anything. Ok, basically the gear is like power armor with less armor, but more speed. So, what is done is you run to point A, go shoot someone(s), close the distance with the blade and get out. It's not really meant for just shooting from far away. Canonically (at least for my character's backstory) the whole set was designed for hunting mechs and other large vehicles, but it can be adapted to infantry combat in a pinch, though it won't excel there.
    It's still clunky though, so it relies on timing for your your shots and swings.

#18 Donovennn, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  19. Loveless

Loveless New Member

Oh, not referring to the range, I meant as a reference point for the kickback.

20. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

I've fired two shotguns at the same time... It hurt...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.