1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Reminder: Illegal Mods (Also, Regarding Today's Downtime)

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Chronicle, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Hi guys!

So, we got a lot of reports regarding the server being totally screwy and crashing every five minutes this evening, perhaps for several hours. This essentially resulted in the server being unplayable, which was a pain in the neck for everyone. We appear to have fixed the problem, but we felt you guys deserved an explanation for the whole mess. So, we decided this announcement was in order. I'll be direct for those without much time. The important bits are in bold and/or underlined for ease of reading.

The cause of our server being down for several hours this evening was directly linked to illegal mod use.

In order to solve this issue, we decided to check the server logs. A peculiar thing we started to notice was that, just before every single crash, someone had attempted to load a popular hub world. (The Wolves' Den, for the curious, but that's not to say that those in charge of the world are at fault. No lynch mobs, please.) In addition, we had multiple reports of corrupt blocks causing fatal errors, which also caused server issues. After restoring the world to a previous state (before the crashes), we've yet to have any more server instability, so the conclusion is pretty obvious.

From the looks of it, someone put down some non-vanilla assets (blocks of some kind) onto the Wolves' Den, which caused the world to crash. This essentially corrupted the planet, and crashed the server whenever it was loaded.

If you guys were ever curious as to why we're kind of strict about what mods you can and cannot use, well, this is why. Not only can they crash individual players, but certain mods can even cause instability for the entire server as a whole. See also, the aforementioned several hours of downtime. It's unlikely that whoever put down the corrupt assets even knew that it would do that (though they might have), but the result was the same. Multiplayer-unfriendly mods are also known to cause serious lag, which we've also had problems with as of late.

We felt you guys deserved to know this, so this announcement was in order. In the same way, we also think you guys deserve to know the following:

Because of increasing issues with this, we will be cracking down on disallowed mod use in the very near future. Our logs let us know who logs in with them, and we will most likely be talking to the frequent users of these mods within a week. If those we talk to refuse to work with us on it, we may have to issue temporary bans.

I will personally say that I honestly hate banning anyone, even for a short period of time. But we've got an entire playerbase, here, and if we have to temporarily ban someone for the sake of everyone else, we will do so. That's always been our stance.

We're letting you guys know this both as a courtesy, as a sign of respect, and as a forewarning. If you're using unapproved mods, we urge you to uninstall them before we have to talk to you about it. We'd like to have as little conflict in this community as we can. You guys hate it, we hate it, and it's more work for us anyway. We're going to be actively working to solve these issues and prevent further ones within the next week at most. If you're using illegal mods and were unaware they were a problem... Seriously, we understand. A lot of people forget why we have that rule in the first place. Just please uninstall them as soon as possible, now that you're aware, so that we don't have to send you a warning for it or do anything else.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM us privately. Thanks for your time, and your patience with our recent instability.

Hopefully, we'll stop having it in the near future.

2. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Honestly sounds like you guys are being a bit lenient. Frequent users? Why not talk to every user with illegal mods you find in the logs? I mean, I'm sure that'd be a pain in the ass, but they'll become frequent users if someone doesn't tell them what they're doing wrong.

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The logs aren't magic. False positives do happen and we have to account for that.

4. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

As for the den, Rocco is a mod, and I have been gone, so I would assume someone is doing it intentionally, because no one has a valid reason to be building on the den, at least, according to what I knew as of yesterday.

5. Azeliblehblehbleh

Azeliblehblehbleh New Member

Thank you all of you for cracking down on this. Keeping the server running smoothly is something I will always support.

6. Chronicle

Preeecisely. The problem is that when a bunch of people log in at once, you can get false positives. So we don't ban EVERYONE that comes up, or we'd be banning... Um. Me. Because I know I came up once or twice. So did you at one point, humourously enough.

But we can generally tell when someone is actually using a mod or not. When I said "frequent users", what I actually should have said was "users". As in, people actually using the mods.

I apologize for the confusion.

7. Blaine871

Blaine871 New Member

I have a quick question, is the dye mod capable of causing issues? i do have it on but i usually keep anything relating to it in singleplayer. If it can i will be sure to remove it before entering the server

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Yes, the Dye Mod is actually one of our bigger offenders.

9. Blaine871

Blaine871 New Member

cripes, ill remove it right away then.

10. Blaine871

Blaine871 New Member

alright removed from my starbound mod folder.

11. Animator

Animator New Member

Nope, your information is still current. As for intention, that's still up in the air; it could just as easily been a misunderstanding. Either way, we're going to find out soon (most likely tomorrow).

Thanks to the time of the back-up Doc put up, I now have a reasonable time-frame that allows me to follow step-by-step each happening and trace it back to the very first incident; and, as a result, whoever did this. It doesn't help that I've also kept a mental log of who was there today, which will help me figure it out more quickly. If you feel you might be behind this, or have suspicions that something you did while on the Den due to having a unchecked mod led to those complications, fess up now by PMing one of the staff and we'll be a bit more understanding about what happened before it's too late. This is more than just corrupting an ongoing project and pushing back it's progress by half a day, this is bringing the whole server to its knees for a significant amount of time.

12. Azeliblehblehbleh

Azeliblehblehbleh New Member

Actually I think I know of something that may have been related to some lag or something, but it isn't anything that I've seen to be affecting the server.

Wavemaker had some dolls which were given out as prizes at a 'guess the song' contest at the Den. I won two of them. I've had them out and used them before the crashes started and after they ended (by a good amount) without any ill effect. I don't know if that's going to help the investigation or not, but it happened, and that was using... I think starcheat? or something.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Those things shouldn't crash the server, they were made using vanilla assets, with the Starcheat program, it's not exactly a mod.

14. Chronicle

Indeed. As Khaltor said, many of those items are made with vanilla assets being manipulated in creative ways. Which are safe.

It's a tricky distinction, but yours are fine. I have one, too.

15. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I like the direction you guys are taking! If the people using mods understand how troublesome they are then hopefully they can turn things around! I had someone talking to me the other day about race mods he was checking out, it was fun hearing about it but, damn can that stuff ANNIHILATE GALAXIES.

16. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Oye, don't put me dolls in the crosshairs mang, they din do nuffin.

17. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Calm down ye dramaqueen, we already said they aren't causing problems...

18. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Uh oh.

19. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Dye mod, more like DIE MOD. . .

I'll be here in my corner...

20. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT PUNS BOY.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status: