1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

"The Big One" - CoC and Moderation Overhaul Details

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Chronicle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Gpolaris

Gpolaris Banned

fucking incredible
    good job mods a+ rules

2. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

id like to see a consent system implemented for flamewars

like, someone says "you're wrong and stupid" and then like they post underneath it I CONSENT TO FLAMING

then someone responds with something along the lines of "you're wronger, stupider and also a big obnoxious shitlord"

that person then replies with "yeah well at least im not a FURRY" and then the original person revokes their consent to flaming, causing a confusing bitchfight and starting the bizarre phenomenon of metaflaming which I would suggest additional rules for, perhaps under the yet-to-be-implemented rules on shitposting (which I would also implement a consent system for, like OPs putting "I consent to shitposts" at the top of a thread)

3. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

"WE FORGOT THE FORUM RULES!" -A mod

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

This is a useless and tasteless post and you shouldn't have posted it.

5. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Not exactly, while I do agree the post is more of a bad joke it does bring up a good idea, and that is the implication of rules for the forum, or at least forum etiquette.

6. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

this is a test of the proposed consent system, right

it's a useless and tasteless post invictus stop getting ideas from it that's not what I suggested at all

7. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Are you saying we should not put in some forum etiquette? Regardless of what you intended to suggest, if anything at all, your post gave me the idea. Be happy something was born from nothing!

8. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

something cannot be born from nothi- oh wait

let's not start that debate

there's already rules that cover that, they're just not made forum-specific because the same shit happens ingame

redundant rules = bad rules

i once went to a place that had like 15 different rules about harassment (not even kidding it seriously had around 15 it was crazy), let's not be that place

#48 Edvyn, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  9. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Occ rules do not cover everything that can happen in forum, things like shit-posting, multi accounts, off topic/derailing.
    Things of that nature, I'll make sure to be more clear in the future.

10. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Yes, Shit posting is a major problem...

*looks at some certain people*

#50 Switchback, Aug 14, 2014
  11. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'm going to shoot and say that it's safe to assume that any community guidelines or rules (Such as no flaming or griefing) applied to the game are also applied to the forum. Unlike roleplay, courtesy should be (Though is not always) common sense. Though forum etiquette might be nice to have around for some people, it's rather unnecessary, and from my own experience, might encourage people to try to find loopholes just to cause problems. As sad as it is, those people exist.

12. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Amazing how much we can benefit from reading.

#52 Felonious, Aug 14, 2014
  13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

NO LOOPHOLES.
    Rule-skirting is VERY frowned upon.

14. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

I am now going to dissect your post. You can't stop me.
    "I'm going to shoot and say that it's safe to assume that any community guidelines or rules (Such as no flaming or griefing) applied to the game are also applied to the forum."
    Fair enough, in fact you're totally right here, because the rule is applicable to both ic and ooc.

"Unlike roleplay, courtesy should be (Though is not always) common sense."
    Yes, and a simple to understand forum etiquette thing will assist anyone without the common sense to realize it on their own, or at the very least not give them an excuse to hide being. "I didn't know I couldn't do da fing!" shouldn't be something they can try to use defensively to whatever bullcrap they were doing in the forum. The rules exist, go look at them, if you didn't thats on you, prepare butt for stomping.

"Though forum etiquette might be nice to have around for some people, it's rather unnecessary"
    Can you elaborate? I don't see the downside to this idea.

"and from my own experience, might encourage people to try to find loopholes just to cause problems. As sad as it is, those people exist."
    Yes, they do exist, and they will always, regardless of what is done here, try to be problematic and get as little consequence as a result as they can. Even the newly implemented rules aren't airtight and I bet you my stamp collection someone is going to try to loophole their way around it. Just because some people might not want to follow the rules does not mean we should not have any.
    Also, the idea that rules encourage people to break them is... kind of silly. It takes blame away from trouble makers. What I hear here is 'If we don't have rules, then they can't be broken' and thats no bueno.

Thats what I think anyways.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'd thought people would have picked up that the rules are fairly global. The no flaming rules applies both in-game and on the forums.
    If we nitpick too much, quarrelsome people will start shouting censorship.
    Although they'll start shouting censorship anyway.

16. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

What is this the NSA?

/jokes

17. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Yeeeeah I know okay, make myself clearer, got it, what i'm trying to say (doing a poor job at it) is that some things are ONLY applicable to forums.

You can't really derail a roleplay, multiclient isn't frowned upon but multi-accounting might be (maybe? I don't know). Am I clear enough yet or am I a static T.V on mars here.

18. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

an admin-guy from another community I once knew (he turned out to be an insufferable prick but he did say some good things) said to me that his staff enforced the spirit rather than the letter of the rules

maybe that can be said somewhere so people know they can't argue with semantics
    people generally know what rules mean, taking the wording as literally as possible is only ever done when circumventing rules

19. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

The General Rules are just that. General. Some of them apply to the community as a whole, some focus a little more on the forum, and some focus a little more on the server. For example, it's a little hard to, say, "use unapproved mods" on the forum.

The Flaming/Griefing Rule (Rule #1) applies to the game and the forum, and, as Felonious was kind enough to quote me for... Um, yes, we're focusing on the latter part of it right now.

I do get what you're saying, Invictus, and it is necessary. Which is why we have it. As Rule #1, no less. We're probably not going to make rules about derailing threads and the like unless it proves necessary. This being said, topics shift and evolve all the time, and sometimes it's a good thing.

And, when it's not, it generally falls under Rule #1.

Just don't be a jerk, guys, it isn't hard.

20. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Hit the nail, on the head. If it needs to be specified, we'll try to specify it, but the general meaning is usually exactly what you'd think. The rules aren't a checklist, they're a list of policies meant to better the RP environment of the server, and our community as a whole.

If you're not sure, then ask one of us about it, but it's generally safe to assume the obvious interpretation.