1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

"The Big One" - CoC and Moderation Overhaul Details

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Chronicle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'm trying not to sound like a jerk here (I promise, I don't wanna be :C). It's disheartening that mods even need to put these into rules. Save for those new to RP, most of this is common sense. However, it's great to see that the mods are getting more active and are heavily outlining things for the community!

2. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Many of these have existed since our community began, but in more rudimentary forms. The CoC was in major need of a major overhaul, for clarity, consistency, and ease-of-remembrance. Hopefully this - combined with our new style and philosophy behind moderation - will be able to help the community flourish in the future and get past any of the issues it has in the present.

That's my hope, anyway!

But, in any case, we always want everything to be as clear as possible. We actually do get a number of players new to RP, so we want them to be able to make the transition as smoothly as possible as they get into things. If people already know a lot of this stuff, then, hey, that's great. If not, it's there.

3. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

"If you're going beyond simple romance, take it off the server."

" beyond simple romance, take it off the server."

I'm still safe!

4. Rezima

Rezima New Member

and even if players have questions about what is and is not allowed, its great to have something like this available to read in case one of the mods isn't around, a good reference guide on how to be a good and fair roleplayer

5. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

About the rules, I think you should add in something about IC nudity for clarification.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Staff still has the final say, even on what is and is not appropriate.
    Just something to keep in mind.

7. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

IC nudity shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's done in a mature manner for actual reasons. Simply being naked all the time to be 'sexy' is something I'm not going to touch with a 10 ft. pole. A perfect way to get me to bugger off IC and OOC.

8. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Don't think of us as the enemy here, we aren't an obstacle to circumvent.

9. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

Make it so number 1.

10. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Something should be added about races, i.e. Agarans, races from other fiction

shadow avians

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Essentially, this.

12. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Keyword, some people who don't fully understand what ERP is may also not want to rp with anyone who got semi/fully nude for a good ic reason as well. I've more then once seen someone stop when someone was getting undressed and said something ooc along the lines of 'I don't think thats allowed'. You can practically feel them tense up and look around nervously.

Just as a precaution if anything to ensure everything IG runs smoothly and with little OOC breaks as possible, your call though maybe I'm just overly cautious.

13. Chronicle

Indeed, it entirely depends on your mindset. Physically having a naked character model is irrelevent - it's a bunch of sexless pixels. But how and why you're doing it is what's going to either be completely clinical, innocent, and/or legitimate, or what's going to make it spin into the "uncomfortably sexual" category addressed by Rule #4.

Also, as a side-note: Love the questions, people. I'm working on making the FAQ a bit more usable and complete in its information, as of a couple days ago. It's still in progress. Some of these questions are bound to go onto it.

14. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Roger boss~

15. Chronicle

You make a fantastic point, and, honestly, keep other players in mind first and foremost. If someone's uncomfortable with such, either just put your PC's clothes back on for comfort's sake, or maybe try to explain to them privately that it's for an innocent or legitimate reason, and not meant to be sexual. Instead, it may be due to an outstanding issue in-character, and valid RP. Educate your fellow player, and all that! If needed, a mod could come in and explain this further - just find one of us that's online. (Assuming you're honestly doing it in an innocent way, of course.)

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Rule 3, character design: No custom races or popular-media rip-offs.
    This essentially means no races outside of what you can select in-game. It should be clarified, however.

17. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

these changes were necessary and I am glad as hell that the previous "rule zero" was replaced with something that isn't used like a fluffy conversational weapon

good fucking riddance

long live new rules

18. Chronicle

This will be the subject of an FAQ article, and, like many, probably linked within the CoC. Again, one of our next big ongoing projects now that the CoC revamp is done. (I'm looking forward to doing the FAQs myself over the next couple of days; got a personal interest in them.)

19. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

So in all honesty, actions speak louder than words. Hopefully things work well with the rules, and hopefully the moderation team does good with them. There's still a lot to be done.

20. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Something that (I think one of the mods?) brought up in teamspeak is the other end of the rp spectrum, VRP, violence roleplay (hehehe wordplay)

Lets face it guys, the universe is a dangerous place. When its not horrific monsters eating our butts its florans ripping our arms off, or billy badbutt having a shoot off with mary maxmagnums. People (read Viiker) get hurt, A LOT, so naturally people want to rp, or should want to rp, what damage they receive. That being said, don't get crazy and graphic with that stuff, not everyone has a strong stomach for violence and gore. No one wants to ooc read someone getting their limbs ripped off at the socket or their tongues cut out with rusty forks described in a way that would make Steven King blush.