1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

My Last Wagon [Mucklurk]

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by DirtyGoblin, Aug 8, 2014.

1. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

This one is legit serious because I'm a bit serious. Criticisms and such on Mucklurk the Not!Floran. Feel free to rage about the failed MuckTooth swarm fir those who recall.

2. Sen

Sen Guest

mucklurk did not rub plant boobies against other boobies

good in my books

3. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

from what little i know of mucklurk, i think the only thing bad about him is possible canon breaking

4. Sen

Sen Guest

some creative liberty is fine

unless you abuse it to fuel your male power fantasy (which the muckswarm, at least in inception, did not)

5. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I'm more concerned with the negatives. As in, what aspects need to not be repeated should I continue him or kill him off and rock another character with similar personality traits.

TL;DR shit on him so i dont step in it later.

6. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

You don't roleplay him enough.

7. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I don't always agree with Finnstein, but when I do, I do it hard. shutup i can ripoff a meme if i want to

More spurgle!

Mucklurk was always a joy to interact with, even if the IC opinions said diferently.

8. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

You did an amazing job with Mucklurk.
    I never really did experience what the whole problem was with the MuckTooths, what was that about?

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

That damn totem. What was that phase you went through when all of your weirdo characters carried giant totems.

10. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

The phase where i found the skulls and flesh for guns. :)

11. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

The Spurgle cut to close to a custom race for my tastes. It also lacked clearly defined downsides for what was presumably an infectious disease, besides ugliness maybe? Presumably the tradeoff was that they were spreading something deadly for everyone else, but you know, when you're pretty much antagonistic to much of the galaxy that's still kind of infected with awesome.

12. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

The deadliness came later on I admit. Around the time when Alioth Prime folks agreed to tie in the spurgle to the deadly spore there. I guess the biggest downside was the reliance on the spore infesting the floran, and the extreme aversion to light, to the point where it caused massive amounts of pain. Although I'll be honest and say that the only consequences that gave us was being shunned by the shunned folk of TF, and having to find hidey holes whenever the sun came out. Being limited to places that were moist and dark was there also. It was assumed that most infested wouldn't last long on desert planets, or places like LM where it rains firey coals, unless they had somewhere dank and moist, which usually lead to sewers >_>

Biggest consequence really, was the RP pigeonholing to certain areas, and just general mobility. But I can definately see the issue where carrying a deadly infestation, and not suffering for it, isn't very fair. At the same time, we never really set out to infect npcs or other players, outside of other Florans. For the longest time one of the main goals, was to get numbers, and prepare to hunt down and enslave Agrarans, to harvest them for moar spores.

13. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I could appreciate Mucklurk as a character by himself. Don't really understand why people like him, and I've been kind of worrying about whether or not people metagamed by having their characters like them when, in reality, befriending a fungal infected floran who's essentially crazy and spreads infectious spore and spurgle spawn does not make any sense.

When it went from an individual character to a faction, that's when things got absurd. Really, people curved their roleplay to accept the floran spawn group, but their disposition towards other groups varied greatly. In this sense, take this as a critique of your character as well as the people who interacted with him.

There could have been a lot more that could have been done, I'm thinking if this Mucklurk spawn group took another direction and instead of gaining so much support from Tetanus fields (having reign over the sewers, etc.) if there was a big clensing floran hunt, that would have provided some interesting roleplay that stayed within realistic bounds.

14. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

"acceptance" Of mucklurk and the mucklings depends on which character you looked at.
    only like 10% of Tetanus' population were accepting, and they were given free reign over the sewers and also told to stay in there.

And there was a big cleansing floran hunt, it was when Hawke firebombed the sewers[nobody ever found out it was him IC] killing the entire swarm, minus a few of the more mentally advanced mucklings. And Plhlegmgill.

15. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Good to know. For some reason talking to friends and hearing about the absurd comedic actions of the swarm aided in developing a negative perception of it in my mind. I didn't have much exposure on Tetanus Fields but going off what people were saying in the forums and ooc talk, it just didn't seem like a group that was real or... serious? Guess that's just first impressions for you.

16. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

The groups reputation shrivelled when Muppet Babies happenned. Before then it wasnt too bad. Sewers were a legit dangerous place. :)

17. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Mucklurk was what I consider to be a decent bending on in game materials into something unique for the sake of being unique. The mushrooms/spores/spurgle did nothing to make him stronger, faster or smarter. In fact it hindered him with his weakness to light. Later, it was written into the character that he could be killed by it as well. It gives the character good flavor as well as adds to the server side lore without forcing us to believe in something wholely outrageous.

Just dont spam the radios.

18. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

SKREEEEEEEEE

I miss the Mucklurk-Traptooth screechfest.