1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

How to tell if a colony only caters to Billy Badasses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Sen

Sen Guest

I decided I wanted to visit one of the active colonies on Starbound using a character that is a non-combatant, when I realized that none of them are suitable because they're all horrible death traps. I then thought up a simple test that anyone can apply to determine if a colony only caters to Billy Badasses.

Would you live on this colony in real life, as a squishy, mortal human? Would you even visit it for a day?

I found the answer was "no" for every active colony out there.

2. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Union always seemed like the safest place to live.

An area where nobody but the peacekeepers have weapons? Yep, sounds safe to me.
    /nosarcasmbecausetextcan'tconveyvoice

EDIT: Also maple hills and Zero city were pretty peaceful, albeit died quickly

3. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

What about TF? Oh right, we're not active.

4. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

To be brutally honest, Tetanus WAS/IS a deathtrap, the town and planet itself tries to kill you, forget the billy badasses that liked to visit in the later stages

5. Narfball

Narfball narfball

I wouldn't live in any of the colonies as a normal human. Literally, none of them. But that's just me, I personally just like to be left alone unless I'm on the net. :^)

6. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

Liberty Mills c;

ssh, its okay.
    ignore the dead folks

7. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Tetanus is quite... safer?
    You don't have billy badasses, you don't have Florans (nor sex-florans, but thats another topic) that want to eat you, and you don't really have much "Oh shit, this place is unsafe" areas anymore.
    Sure, the planet'll still try to kill you with the Rust-Storms and the Tar-Gliders, but hey, at least you can expect that.

8. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

The only time Red nearly died was when he decided to try carrying weapons...and that was Avalon. I dunno, but I've no problem with the colonies out there atm.

9. Sen

Sen Guest

So the active colonies:
    Taranis and Wolves Den are unthinkable. Violence breaks out every second day and the authorities there are all psychopaths with a tendency of murderous retribution against anyone who slights them.
    Union (and its identical clones) has the same issue on a much more diminished scale, but the colony also entirely exists for the military and is a bubble, too much like North Korea for my tastes. The better of a whole lot of bad options.
    I don't know much about New Chicago, but the bank robbery recently and the fact that they're hiring security leads me to believe it's not very safe (also, apparently the colony is under the protection of a tribe of Florans, which instantly makes it an unthinkable choice).

And the not-so-active colonies:
    You couldn't pay me to stand in a room with a (real) Floran alone, let alone go to a Floran dominant colony.
    Tetanus Fields is a definite no. Anarchist, might makes right, not to mention a terrible history of self-destructive life decisions (letting all those Florans breed in the sewers, for one).
    Liberty Mills (pre-Fleet departure) had the Fleet put a lot of energy into making it safe, but this just encouraged people to cause more random acts of violence against the "oppressors". At least the authorities there did not engage in violence against minor critics, only people who screamed blasphemy and threatened the Fleet with death while in their embassy. I'd say LM would be the better of a whole lot of bad options.
    Waterosa has no authorities. I remember causing a lot of violence there on my Floran and the response to that was a hand grenade into a crowd of innocent and guilty alike.
    Alioth Prime would be a nice candidate if it wasn't for death spores of death. But honestly, I'll take death spores over psychopath sentients any day of the week; at least you can take precautions against death spores like easily available masks and an early warning system.
    Zero City is anarchist and might makes right. Same with Badwater.
    Luminaria has institutionalized slavery, amongst other reasons not to go there.
    I don't know anything about the Lightbringer's place.
    Maple City seems nice, but I don't know enough about the place.

10. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Luminaria is getting removed. Still waiting in Kaz. ICly it was undergoing slave riot/revolts and Aleikseis whole weaponized moon thathad orbital canon acne. Bad place to live

11. Sen

Sen Guest

If you want it removed can't you just nuke gun it?

12. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

i meant the forum for it
    im sure it will vanish on its own soon noone goes there ever at all

13. Sen

Sen Guest

14. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

GRYPHON

15. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Opportunity used to be nice once you got over the whole personal freedom is lacking thing.

16. Sen

Sen Guest

Isn't Opportunity dead? I've never actually seen it.

17. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Yup. Why I said used to be :p

18. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Just make your ship into a big padded room.

Or a ball pit.

19. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

Maybe when the release update is live, the central hubworld will be a good general-safe zone or civilian area that is actually safe, and the specialized colonies can be that niche characters seek for visitation or residence.

20. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

If asa doesn't die for the second time, Shes going to be constructing a colony out of porta-houses. Its only defenses will be an AA cannon and anyone who cares to defend it. Im going to try and make a place for non-combat rp's to just relax.