1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Getting the Band[wagon] back together. Opinions of Petaldancer as a character

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Malachar, Aug 7, 2014.

?

Is Petal a decent character?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. She smells funny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Leg

62.5%
  1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

because it hasn't been done before

As the title says, feel like making my own thread for community input.

Few ground rules, I am only looking for constructive criticism if you have it.

These are examples of non constructive criticism
    "X Sucks about her"
    "I hate her"
    "I hate you"

Examples of what I'm looking for.
    "X sucks because xx, and you could improve by Xxxxx"

Aaaand go!

2. Sen

Sen Guest

holy shit your signature is way too big

3. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Yeah forgot to use a spoiler tag and misjudged the size, fixing haha

4. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

I swear to fucking god, mark my words, by the time the week is out we will have one of these threads for every single played character on this server and their mothers.

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

words marked with a sharpie, awaiting actual relevant posts

6. Sen

Sen Guest

cyborg uscm floran outcast who rejects tribal upbringing

7. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

implants make her a cyborg by definition yes, though provide barely enough combat potential to beat a dumb predator, they're for easier time getting around
    She's a civvie, not a soldier[anymore], just lives at union [for now]
    outcast, fair enough
    rejecting tribal upbringing, indeed, very much so. Still violent [as could be] to those she feels wrong her though

*gives small gold star for having a relevant post*

8. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

Yet another peaceful floran™ that often sounds like a human with a funny accent instead. I may say this because I never got to explore Petal as a character or whatnot, but she really does feel like a very dry and boring character. I would suggest you to spice up that character somehow, but I cannot say exactly HOW. I never really roleplayed a floran for long, you see. But if she did follow some sort of tribal rules or traditions (don't have to be just HURRKILL). I know that there is not much lore for florans, but you can always say that those were traditions exclusive to your former tribe only. For short - Just try to make Petal seem less like a human and more like an alien race.

9. Sen

Sen Guest

[5/08/2014 9:53:14 AM] Yazen: the thing about forcing unique aspects into your character is that it's most often a crutch
    [5/08/2014 9:53:45 AM] Yazen: people compensate for their character's lack of personality by stuffing as many immediately obvious snowflakey traits as they can, because they don't have the creativity to take something generic and make it unique instead

10. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

That's actually planned for the future.
    As part of an event the USAF will be moving to a more harsh swmpy/jungle planet without all the secure walls, and will need a lot more survival instinct.

It'll be a sort of return to her roots, no pun intended, as she is able to embrace the wild so to speak. And yeah, I have often felt I've had few instances to show off her more floran nature aside from lack of grasping social constructs. Hopefully i'll be able to do more of that soon.

As for traditions she follows, those will be seen if she ever has companions on hunts and such. Eating the heart from a fresh kill being one of them.

11. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

I just hope you will show more than just "FLORANS ARE SAVANGE HERE IS THEIR POINT". Heck, you can even read about all those tribal cultures and their traditions. Like that african stuff.

12. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Yeah, but none of them will really end up being taken seriously by then. LOL.

Edit: As for actual input, there's not much I can really say. Haven't had a great deal of interaction with your character. At least... not for a few months now.

#12 Terallis, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  13. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Theyre very serious. Duh.

My only real input here is to make sure Petal is more than just her oddities. I havent rpd with her in ages though, but the innocent/naive bit seemed a little overdone at times and kinda nixed over moments that could have revealed more personality or depth.

14. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

She's long since lost the childlike innocence and naivety over her experiences in antares. As she stands now, she's devloped a bit of cynicism and distrust when not around those she's known for the longest time.

Never did plan for it to last forever, and the ways for to to be broken came quite well.

Appreciate the input gob.

15. Goldsum

Goldsum New Member

I've only roleplayed with her once, and she seemed like a well developed character with a interesting backstory. The only problem I really had was she as somewhat crippled so /I/ was at a bit of a loss as what fun rp things we could do other then standard bar rp, but to be honest that more me not being creative enough then actual flaws with your character. Because I ean its actually good and respectable that you have all those injuries because it shows your willing to allow your character to get hurt and face the consequences of her actions. Overall, from my short experience rp with her, she seemed like a well made character.

16. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I just wanted to say i'm proud of all of you for continuing to embrace the word of leg.