1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

USAF's Demise (Come shoot at us!)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by CouchPotato360, Aug 7, 2014.

?

When do you think the event should start?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2014.
  1. August 16th 6PM EST (Saturday)

28.6%
  2. August 16th 8PM EST

28.6%
  3. August 16th 10PM EST

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. August 16th 11PM EST

28.6%
  5. August 17th (Sunday)

14.3%
  6. Delay the event for a week!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotSoLoneWolf

NotSoLoneWolf New Member

only 4 people wanted to be operators lol, that was the problem.

2. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Well, there was that. Then there's the fact the entire USAF side was grouped by the exit rather than spread out through the base. The locking down of the Hammerpoint exit by the Operators was immediately overridden. A lone scientist carrying experimental weapons tech vaporized two Operatives (see: Half the invading force) despite injury and lack of training on the grounds that the grenades were one of the 2 or 3 things our armor couldn't protect us from, and there were just enough to get the job done. There were too few Operators to effectively split up into groups to maneuver (three two man teams would have been plenty). Etc. Etc. A lot of issues mostly due to poor planning/communication.

That said, there were a few other people willing to join as Operators, but they couldn't make it due to timing/being 5 minutes too late (sorry Jimbo. -sadface-)

Edit: They were also not permitted to on the grounds that 'four was plenty'. It was not. Especially when four became two.

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

I told youuuuuuuuuu.

4. Vera

Vera New Member

I was going to let it slide, but I am a bit annoyed by this. Laonie was the Lab Tech that created and taught the soldiers how to use the grenades she used against the Operators, which were Ionized AT Grenades *Heavy Plasma Grenades*. The first Operator was warned he would more than likely die in the situation of covering the lab. After being heavily wounded, the lab tech escaped, barely... My planned scenario forced to be changed mid event, and thus caused me to kill two instead of one. Adrenaline is a harsh mistress... Infact, the lone scientist is going to be resting for days or weeks.

/rant

Sorry, no more from me, I'm done.

5. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

These are issues that could have been solved if more people had shown up for preparations for this event, but, of course, not everyone was available. We even ran drills to try to see how this would play out. The group of operators that showed up IC was larger than four. However, OOC, our numbers were not as great. That being said, while it may not have been completely obvious, it should have been known that, once an operator was dead, their player could have continued to play another operator, to show that the group was larger than just four. If we failed to explain this, it was simply because it was not planned for two of the operators to end up dead, or for their numbers to be so few. Events don't often go well, no matter how much planning was involved, there are too many variables to take into account to make sure everything goes smoothly. The event is over, some people got to attend, some didn't, it didn't go as well as we had hoped, but oh well, it's too late to change. There is little reason to discuss it further, unless there are any serious issues people might have.

6. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Major issue was probably USIF placement. Some at bunks, or shooting range, could have made a completely different outcome. I forced myself what was mostly a very stupid plan to get caught like a moron to give CENTCOM an arrest.

7. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Chaos.

8. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

She still didn't have ANY military experience, and I doubt she would had cool enough of a head from being shot by an ambush to not go into shock AND escape with multiple gunshot wounds. Those are debilitating, and the more of them, the worse the effect.

9. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

Thats how you deal with complaints/ criticisms. Tell people to basically Eff off.

10. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Fixed.

I had actually hoped this event would create a more humble, realistic us-whatever team. Seems I was wrong.

11. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

You can have your leaders an inch from death recovering, everyone else in the med-lab of the only ship available, purely due to being off-planet due to unplanned circumstances. [Some floran attacked Felith putting him out of commission for a while]

You can have your faction lose its advanced weaponry, its fleet, its home, and almost everyone's ships.

But when you have to do some on-the-spot RP because people weren't around for planning or practice, and thus forced you to have to do so, you all get angry.

And you all wonder why the USAF usually did closed events? It's because of people like those before who jump in at the last second and run around without all the info breaking the established script.

What's that? You don't like events with a pre-determined final outcome? Well I would recommend never joining an event again, as that's what they are.

It's obvious that many of you will never be pleased as you are too focused on holding old grudges when the USAF gang spent almost a week of planning in trying to find a way all of this could go down without powergaming and godmodding.

Funnily enough, the time we did a practice-drill, where everyone actually knew what they were doing, everything went flawlessly.

Imagine that...

It's just painfully obvious you can't please everyone, even when you're trying as hard as you can to change for the better.

The assumptions being made about what characters know and what they can or can't do is also laughable.

12. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

To build on what Malachar said, things didn't go as swimmingly as we had hoped. There was a fairly large issue with people showing up at the last second hoping to blow away some Marines without any familiarity regarding the established plan and details of the event. I made the mistake of allowing these individuals to participate, making no real significant effort to compensate for it. To further prove my point, this is a direct quote from one of our participants.
    I'm not going to pin the blame on the participants, we're equally at fault for being so careless near the end and just rushing the event along. Among all of the problems with it, it was rushed and the amount of important no-shows made me a bit desperate. There was also the fact that people were just rushing it along, to a point where we actually had to call an OOC pause just to establish things.

It's been a learning experience nonetheless, we definitely know what NOT to do in the future. Thanks to all of those who participated and were cooperative.

13. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

It would be nice if only people that were actually there for the event, either participating or just watching, respond, instead of people that have no idea what exactly went on. Please and thank you.

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy while this event was going on. That was pretty good.

15. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Please don't reply if it does not even remotely pertain to the thread.
    Set examples and all that y'know?

16. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Please refrain from posting things that are not directly related to the event. Please and thank you.

17. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Goodness, just trying to add something upbeat to this thread. Either way, unless you intend to do a followup, this thread's purpose as roleplay planning has ending. My advise to you folks is to write up a nice little summary of what happened, and maybe make a few character blogs around it. That way even if the event didnt turn out as expected, people can take away something of value from what happen, or was suppose to.

18. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

Also, when you make a event, make it so people have options. When you have to do exactually what the planners want you to do, that isnt a event, its reading a book then acting out the book. Not fun, when events should at least give more than linear progression otherwise your dead. And, just because you had something occur that wasnt in the script doesnt mean " Lol, untrained scientist kills two seal team 6 type of guys for the sack of the character being alive. 1: Adrenaline is beautiful, but, it doesnt do THAT. 2: How you wouldnt go into shock, im clueless to. 3 Improv. Maybe your char could get captured, then another event is made to save her.

19. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

You seem to fail to realize what was at stake with this event. There were no options for -any- of us. We all had to sacrifice for this event, and we had this event for the sake of the community. It's already been said, we spent an incredible amount of time planning this event. Normally we would not be so restrictive, but in any event, it is likely the outcome is planned out and you won't be allowed to change it. The fact that you're getting so upset over this is ridiculous. If you had come to us before the event, or even bothered to figure out how it would end in the first place, we could have discussed it with you. But you did not, and we were not willing to change the plan in the middle of everything.

20. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

Im complaining about the event in general. 1: If you arent going to let people do things, why bother make a event, and just say it happened? 2: It doesnt matter weather you have MCOR's or pistols, just because you lose shit doesnt make you any better of a faction. Good RP =/= losing on purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.