1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Some sort of Capitalist Cyberpunk Metropolis.

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by OdinOnlineAlive, Aug 6, 2014.

1. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

Yes. I was wondering if anybody had any interest in building some sort of Cyberpunk City run by all those large corporations in the galaxy. Basically it would have unnecessarily tall buildings where all the rich people are at the top, and the further down you go, the more crime and seedy things there are.

coughcoughbasicallyeverycyberpunkthingevercoughcough.

So, does anybody have any interest in this sort of project or should I just go back to doing things?

If there is any interest at all I'll start working out details.

2. CrackShotCleric

CrackShotCleric New Member

YES! New Chicago will soon outpace itself when it comes to space. so if you build near by, it could easily shift there, and be joined by many of the businesses and corporations with little to no problems. This would also provide a nice place for constant RP OTHER then the den.

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

If you really want to do it, gather a small team of players who want to see it (3-5 are enough), build it, and do your best working as a team to see it coming into fruition. Keep it interesting, advertise it and make sure it's active. There's no formula for success, and there are a million reasons for it to success/fall into oblivion.

Good luck.

4. OdinOnlineAlive

I do hope that if I go through with this, it successes.

5. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Look at colonies like Stark/Honeydew Prior. They are examples of colonies which didn't work. (I don't know of Honeydew in particular, but it's a fact Stark never took off. Sorry Iridium)

6. OdinOnlineAlive

I have the formula for success on my side though.

[​IMG]

7. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

I'd happily lend some building assistance!
    This sounds like a fun idea, and a grand experiment for more player corporations.
    Time for some relevant reference material from my favorite Star Wars game level ever;
    [​IMG]
    The beaming capitalists' wetdream; Taris trade hub. Though beautiful; below the beaming terraces and teeming starports is-
    [​IMG]
    The Undercity; dirty disease ridden camps where the fallen dregs of society wash down to. Plagued by famine, drought, and local beasts of native Taris, they long for the day they can once again see the sun and breath unpolluted air.
    This was from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and I was dumbstruck by this place and it's symbolism (I was 12 and easily impressed I'm sorry)
    Hope this helps, and let me know if the project takes off, I'll happily lend some OOC time.

8. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

hit me up sometime, I'd be willing to help out

9. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

I definitely agree with what Lesch said. I fucking love Taris (think that's what it was called) because of how it was leveled out like that. Hence why I enjoyed playing it in SWOTOR even though it wasn't the same.

10. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

taris is a nice place from a nice game, but I don't think it's really cyberpunky

11. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

Maybe but it fit the "rich at the top" and the seedier parts at the bottom, maybe the levels could be based off of it and an actual cyberpunk twist thrown in? Dunno.

12. Leschinsky

Overall floor planning (especially the rounded top skyscrapers, because fancy rich Dubai buildings)
    Star Wars very much isn't cyberpunk, it's a scifi opera.
    More reference images!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cyberpunk and (some) Steampunk have this concurrent theme that melds nicely with the idea of money=power extreme setting;
    The idea that; society has hit such a stride that the peoples' only role in it, is to keep things moving.
    The machines and automation are no longer for their benefit, but their purpose for existing, is to develop and maintain the gears that keep things rolling faster and further into a future where, eventually, man obsoletes himself.
    Phillip K. Dick (in between talking to giant invisible heads in the sky, seriously) touched alot on this theme in his short stories, as did Issac Asimov.
    Huge, towering, monolith like skyscrapers and multi story advertisements, clogged traffic and walkways, corporations where you sell your soul for a paycheck. (Mostly applies to cyberpunk)
    Shadowrun and even Vampires: The Masquerade are also great references for this kind of tragic setting.
    You no longer matter.
    You, your friends, family, everyone you will ever love, hate, know, do not matter.
    You are a digit in the system. A fleck of paint on the tooth of a gear in a sequence that's a fraction of a fraction of the universe.
    No one will remember you when you're gone, not even the worms who gnaw your bones.
    That's the real tragedy; no matter how much power and pull the richest attain, they cannot escape this exact same fate;
    the fleeting mortality of man.

13. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

He'd have to buy the planet from the Drosera tribe since they forcefully decided they own the star system and if they were to build without permission they'd probably try to blow it up because they are assholes.

14. OdinOnlineAlive

I'll probably build it at some random location with logical co-ordinates. As for the design, I'm planning to make some sort of hybrid between shadowrun and fritz lang's metropolis. With a sort of art deco design at the top and the bottom looking really shady and futuristic.

15. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

Funny thing is I'm building literally the opposite of this as a colony. Spent almost 30+ hours building.

16. OdinOnlineAlive

damn commies, we don't tolerate your empathy here, get out. Also, I've started laying the foundations. Not much yet, but i'll post some want ads or something tonight.

17. Leschinsky

Also screenshots!

18. Gorbachev

Gorbachev New Member

I think it'd be fun to help work on this. Even though my actual building skills are 6/10, my interior design is a 9/10!

19. CrackShotCleric

CrackShotCleric New Member

I did not mean in the same star System, He could build a system or two away. It would make things easier and would be beneficial to the RP as it would require less time plotting jumps...or traversing between sectors.

20. OdinOnlineAlive

If anybody wants to build some stuff or just help out in general, send me a message and I'll give you co-ordinates. currently the Welcome center is the only building being worked on though. Also, if your helping out, as of now its all ooc, once the city has a decent start, i'll start bringing in people icly.