1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The United Systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angre, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

/replies in quotes

2. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

The Holy Fleet had more than a few cases where IC hatred came from OOC perspective, and it was just deal with mostly through ignoring said people.
    It's just my oppinion, but if someone can't separate IC from OOC, they should begin considering what are they doing in server. And as always, you don't personally like someone, no one is forcing you to RP with them (it's hard when these people can be some sort of VIP or law enforcer, but there's always a way to get by).

It's funny you mention the racist recruits. Fleet also had some, and it ends up to IC interaction if they keep it the same, or progress to get over it, and I found it quite interesting to rp.

3. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

Why? It's just a game. Roleplaying game, even. You play a role.

4. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

That's exactly what I'm saying. People play an IC role and get hated for it ooc.

It's okay to hate the character, it's not okay to hate the person behind it for playing that character.

5. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Indeed. But the event itself was basically ((i cant wait to lose my arm)) ((is this mutant going to cut off my leg or is it something we can kill))
    Also, 90% of the problems wouldn't have happened to group B if Joshua was active, due to his massive machine gun being able to rekt almost anything.

6. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

Ahhh.
    Combat RP with the USCM. I almost forgot!

In one such situation which I can remember - the Mob had been going after Sessiel while he was still around, and he had accompanied some USCM to a distress call. When the mob arrived, there was a small skirmish, and Joshua beamed down directly in front of three mobsters, and when he was fired on with three automatic weapons, he said that they bounced harmlessly off because his power armor wouldnt be effected by Tommy Guns.

hrrrgh

But that was also a long time ago. One, two months ago.

7. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

The sad thing is, when I had a character (Dirt-Feet) who had shot at USCM and Non-USCM as they were rescuing Frohman, and he got captured by the USCM after being wounded ALOT, they simply ignored him. Nobody wanted to RP with him, I was all OOC AND IC going "Hey, that pirate guy we captured, what are we going to do with him?" (( Guys, what are we going to do with Dirt-Feet?)) ((Who?)) ((Dirt-Feet, the pirate we captured))
    If I didn't stamp my foot down and pretty much yell at Angre and Scheffler, Dirt-Feet would've stayed there for another week. He never got a lawyer, never got anything close to RP (except when I bugged them enough at first to interrogate him), until I put my foot down.
    They said they were military, not cops, even though /they/ captured him and /they/ should decide what to do with him, if not hand him over to some other /active/ police/military group.
    /rant

8. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I can understand the frustrations at that one, but a Thompson submachine gun uses a .45 ACP cartridge. The odds of something like this even penetrating the rifle plate of a vest are extraordinarily low, let alone some durasteel plates. Although the concept of "power armour" needs some serious reconsideration, I know.

9. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I was trying to enjoy my break, but I was constantly getting dragged back into game to do things I had absolutely no enthusiasm about. I wasn't present when Dirt-Feet was captured, I heard very little about him, but I could have at least made some effort to handle the situation. Sorry about that, Frohman.

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I think one issue is that you take a faction that exists in lore, and then just change the parts you don't like. The Holy Fleet played as religious Avians, with all the positive and negative traits that brought.

The USCM just says that the prisons have nothing to do with them, and all the torture equipment and stuff that is found in the prisons isn't used anymore. And hell, these are human prisoners being tortured, so how do they treat aliens? In lore the USCM is a faction that tortures prisoners, and abandons penal colonies letting them fall into anarchy. Clearly you are not good guys.

According to official lore you definitely should have a dark side, and you should acknowledge the fact that your faction uses torture equipment and keeps prisoners in dark, gothic depressing looking prisons.

If you want to make a human faction that isn't associated with the bad stuff like the penal colonies fine, but don't call it the USCM

11. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I remember being told once that I should've stayed with the US because Josh and I leading would have been amazing. <_< This was before Ashes hatred for me after I left was known lol. The USCM still has potential. Its just a collossal bitch and a half to rebuild a reputation that has been spoiled heavily by others in the past. I give mad kudos for trying to recognize, find and fix the flaws you see.

12. Animator

Animator New Member

Oh, alright then.

13. Narfball

Narfball narfball

Ahem.

I believe Sen said it best.

uscm eat baby

14. Jay

Jay New Member

I've had a few interactions with the USCM that ultimately put me off attempting further RP with them (often mainly because the core of people that would be involved through me had no interest in further rp with the faction! But I digress.)

I believe my biggest personal beef was over an IC event when Twitch and Jay went through the scanner under aliases as temple birds (pre-Holy Fleet) and then changed clothes in the nearby bar. We then actively roleplayed out rushing past cameras as they were turned in another direction (of which there weren't many, but I'll come back to that) so that they could visit the hospital, where people they knew were being held. Just to, you know, visit them. This resulted in Twitch getting quarantined and Jay getting thrown in the holding cell (and sprayed down with lye! naked!) in roughly... 10 minutes?

Which was explained by there being cameras that picked them up. Where there were no cameras. Cameras that were added in OOCly over 24 hours. I know, because I was in the cell, and I watched it happen. Now, don't get me wrong, I personally had no issue rolling with what happened, but I was pretty not okay with the implication that something like that could be OOCly added in later to apply to things that had already happened. It makes for uneasy RP, because there could be... hidden bugs or cameras that are apparently there and could be added in at any time and still apply to you. Know what I mean?

Jay was going to get sent to that hardcore prison mining planet, Crater's End, for the crime of not having identification papers, when all she'd wanted was to visit Chronicle in the hospital. Again, don't get me wrong, I would've rolled with this, though ultimately it wouldn't pigeonholed my character into a place where she likely would have been unable to RP (as there would be nobody there!). She already spent 3-4 days in the holding cell, IIRC. I think having punishments and a penal colony would be great for the USCM, but only if they treat crimes appropriately and staff the penal colony so that... well, that sad pigeonholing doesn't happen.

One night in a similar time frame to this, I participated in the Battery Acid RP (the glitch "heavy metal" band, as some of you may recall). We spent roughly 3 hours attempting to get through the USCM scanner and acquire a passport. While this was amusing for a while I think the system could use some streamlining, as many have already told you. Granted, all of my experiences are from several months ago, so I can't comment on what may have changed.

All in all, I did for a while consider starting up some heavy conflict RP, at least on a political level, between Alioth Prime and the USCM around the time of the Agaran spore disease and the Marathon Memorial Hospital quarantine fiasco. It was ultimately so difficult to get in contact with people who were leading the USCM at the time that this never happened. I quickly lost motivation between that, the fact that I knew I would be prolonging something that was OOCly painful for others, and that the conflict was unlikely to be pleasant for anyone with all of the OOC issues that would have come with it. Which is sad, but is how it happened.