1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

In-Game Logs - Lore known to characters or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VaporDispersion, Aug 2, 2014.

1. VaporDispersion

VaporDispersion Superflappy Dogefish

Hello folks,

I had a small encounter today. So far I have played my character like the logs and books you can find in the game are accessible to the characters too, meaning my character has a healthy Paranoia regarding Kluex and Formula F.

The other party said that the characters can't know the logs, though, because they are just lore tidbits put into the game by devs and writers. I would be fine with this, if it were OOC knowledge I'd of course lay it down. I value RP and try to play as close to my character and the lore as possible.

So I'd like to know how you see it. Is it IC or OOC knowledge?

Well thats all. Your thoughts?

2. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

you can decide which lore your character has accessed through his life, as long it's explained and being reasonable. Saying 'I know this cuz it's game assets'... just no.

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There are a lot of issues with how the game assets work. For instance, some of them are books, that would be something you could get your hands on. MANY are journals, classified files, scriptures, etc. that you could only ever get once and in one location. Such entries would be near unknown except for OOC.

4. Animator

Animator New Member

If it's basic information relevant to the race you're playing, then yes, the character would definitely be aware.

If it's information relevant to races other than the one you're playing, then that's plausible depending on the context of what you play. Glitch scholar that knows Avian religious customs? Sure. Human who knows Glitch anatomy despite him not being an engineer and having no relevance or skill with touching anything mechanical? Less so.

If it's information based with journals, it's a very nebulous area. Gameplay wise, they're everywhere, so it's not hard to get them from a mechanic standpoint, but it's hard to incorporate for various reasons; you can't claim to be a consort to Greenfinger because not much is known about Greenfinger, or Platinum Ace, or all the other established characters in the lore. Most of it isn't even relevant beyond additional information about things; something your character can already have if they're geared towards given characteristics.

If it's information about things the character wouldn't know, the answer is no. Knowing the cultures of Earth 400 years ago is impossible for races to comprehend beyond what humans say, especially since the planet has long since been lost. The lore about Kluex being a normal Avian (via the starbound .pdf involving the whole Avian thing) before he was canonized as a deity by the Avians would not be known, since there's no evidence possible to culminate the existence of Bird Jesus.

Information that comes out of the nightlies should be advised against in terms of using it; mostly because it's still so nebulous and incomplete that anything is possible.

5. VaporDispersion

VaporDispersion Superflappy Dogefish

Very well. Seems like I have to retcon a bit. Thanks for the pointers!