1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

It's time to come clean.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hey, everyone.

What you are about to read may very well change your opinion of me. It is your right to think whatever you want about me. I'll not try to persuade you any other way. I'm only going to give you the facts.

I'm not an entirely righteous person. I have flaws. I'm human.
    I'm competitive. I get angry. I'm hardheaded and sometimes I simply just don't listen.

I don't like Galaxy Citizen. I never have. If you've not heard of them, they're another popular Starbound roleplaying server. I've been trying to "win" for quite some time now, and only recently have given up.

I considered attacking them. Yes, it's true. There was a time, and I discussed this with Hawke, that I was debating on whether or not I should initiate a negative SEO attack on Galaxy Citizen. A negative SEO attack is essentially an attack that plummets Google rankings. I want to state, however, that I did not go through with this. I decided that it was wrong. It could backfire. It was me, being competitive, petty, and immature. Instead, I want to focus inward.

I have wronged my Staff as well, in so many ways, by simply not trusting them, and not listening.
    Their feedback is valuable, and many times they've offered suggestions that I've shut down simply because I couldn't trust their opinions. I felt that I was the only one who was qualified to make the important calls.
    Basically, I was a control freak. I'm still only now trying to branch out and trust my Team.

After all, it's this Team, and this community, that holds itself together. Not me. I cannot control my Staff, or this community, and if I try it will certainly fall apart. I've made mistakes. I've ignored good advice.
    I've shot myself in the foot many times over and I've hurt this community. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.

I'm just trying to do my best. I want the best for this community. I want the best for everyone here.
    However, I was blind. I couldn't see that a lot of our problems stemmed from me. Hawke saw this. Many of the other Team members saw this too, and they left. They had every right to do so.

I've banned players without notifying them. Made decisions without telling me Team. I've gone rogue and done things that I really should have asked the rest of Staff if they were a good idea first. I've certainly made more mistakes than I can think to count. I once even considered bribery as a way to boost the vote count, because I was angry at GC for what I felt they had been doing to be the same. Bribery. I couldn't compete with that. I didn't want to stoop to their level, but it was so tempting.

Ultimately, I didn't. It was hard. But I gave up. I know that I need to focus inward. We need to improve what we have, not focus on our competition.

I just want to come clean about all of this. I understand if you think I'm an awful person.
    Just remember that I'm only trying to do my best and help this community be great.
    I hope to change for the better and see this community thrive.
    Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
    Kazyyk

2. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

If nothing else, the hardest part is admitting your mistakes. Good on you, Kaz.

edit: And for what it's worth, I apologize for doubting, because I did doubt and I did question your integrity regarding this situation.

#2 M-Bot, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  3. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Everyone fucks up from time to time Kaz. The good thing is you didn't go through with it, and are admitting your mistakes.

4. skipi

skipi New Member

This. I've seen communities completely destroyed by leaders that didn't know or couldn't admit that they've made a mistake.

5. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Galaxy Citizen may have the top spot, but their server is god-awful. Good for you for sticking with the community through your indecision. Its sincerely helped all of us enjoy and thrive in our own ways.

6. Rickety Prince

Rickety Prince New Member

I'm probably one of the newest members of the community. I can't say what you did was right or wrong either way, but like everyone else has said so far, you've admitted your mistakes, which is more than I can say for a lot of people.

7. Animator

Animator New Member

This is a pretty bold statement. Have satisfaction in the fact that there are very few who are willing to admit publicly their flaws as you've done now; it's usually a characteristic of strength in and of itself. Trust is a two-way street, after all. The most that can be done now is to pick up the slack, accept it, and move on knowing that you're going to try and improve on it, and accept the consequences that come out of it as they lay in your path.

8. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

While this news is slightly upsetting to hear, I am glad your at least admitting it. However, Galaxy citizen is only one spot above you. I vote every day and hopefully this help, but I am glad you've decided to focus on us rather than rating.

9. Narfball

Narfball narfball

All I can say is you did a good thing by showing your skeletons you have in your closet.

10. fatsquishypanda

fatsquishypanda The Brilliant Phsychopath

Good job on admitting your mistakes Kaz, I joined this community a while back and I did become a regular but that was before the whitelist, that aside I've played Galaxy Citizen, and On your server and either way I say yours wins in many cases. Every server will have it's flaws and perks either way even if you may not "win" you can always look to the support of the community, no matter how big or small it is the important thing is to not only be satisfied in the child that you have helped nurture and take care of, but also yourself as a person, with all the flaws you have they are just another thing that makes you, well you. Nice job again on admitting your mistakes, that's just another step forward in the journey we call life, have a good one buddy, I'll toast you one later.

11. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I'm proud of you Kazzy, love you <3

It's good to get this out there.

The server has been getting stagnant, the life just fading away. I don't want to see that happen.

Here's to hoping!

12. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

I have to say. Two thumbs up for coming clean. I honestly don't hold anything against you, because in the end, you didn't get competitive. Its about the server itself, who gives a damn what rank we have? We know ourselves this is a good server, and that's what should matter. So, bravo to you for stepping up and admitting your mistakes.

13. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Cheers mate. Takes a lot of guts to admit when you're in the wrong.

In the long run we know you're just trying to do what's best for the community and the server as a whole, you've got my thanks for that.

14. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

I'll admit i've felt i've been annoying to the staff (edit) And to almost everyone I role play with daily. I've also been down right rude, trying to wiggle my way into a mod spot simply so people would take my side for a change (that and to revive the den when needed) I'll have to agree with everyone here. Its best to state your mistakes and be honest with the community. and Ill agree. Its down right hard.

All we can do is move on and make ourselves better, learn from our mistakes and work together more as a community.

15. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

16. Tazerok

Tazerok New Member

Don't worry about it, everyone makes mistakes. I just made the switch from GC a few weeks ago and I definitely don't regret it one bit.

17. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Is galaxy citizen just some kind of roleplay wasteland?

18. Ionnis

Ionnis New Member

So... Some feedback from a player new to Starbound multiplayer. I went to google, typed in "Starbound multiplayer servers" and bam, a bunch of lists came up. The two things I looked at were Ranking & Population. Noticing GC, I tested them out first. Made a forum account, read the rules and such. The server seems somewhat cold. I can't count the amount of times it crashes and rest my building progress, people screaming obscenities OOC all the time. Trying to RP on a world that attracts more then 4 or 5 people there gets frustrating when it's so easy for griefers to log on without checks such as a whitelist. I found myself quickly looking through the server list again and this is the second server I came across. Now, I can't say what issues you have because frankly, my application was denied. But its safe to say you have nothing to be jealous of. When it comes to RP, I'd take quality over quantity any day.

19. Tomwell1

Tomwell1 New Member

If we can be 2nd and be whitelisted, this community as a whole must be doing SOMETHING right. I mean, the only real reason I think GC is better to other people is due to them having no whitelist, while we DO have a white list, but, like Ion, quality over quality.

20. Sen

Sen Guest

CORRUPTION! VIPERFORM!!!! NERF YUAN-TI!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.