1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotl Fins, what are they? (How much you DIDN'T know)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by invictus69, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

Well at least he's honest.

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Well humans use both. Chemicals and electrical signals aren't even that distinct. Chemicals can have electric charges in the form of ions. That's how our neurons work

3. Animator

Animator New Member

Florans are unisex.
    This means that they all have the same sex. You could argue that they're hermaphroditic; and to a small extent, they'd have to be. But what is more likely is the kind of sexual morphology that exists in plants already in real life, and not actual sexual organs. Here's an article on plant reproductive morphology. Pay particular detail to the section involving the use of sexual terminology with plants, as one user here already pointed out by posting a diagram of the organs within a plant:
    In other words: It's possible for Florans to express themselves with different genders and even express themselves in a more biological sense with one inclination or another, but they are indeed capable of both. But whatever it is, it's expressed within the factor of one single organ used to do it, since these are plant people and not just ordinary plants.

Personally, I really doubt it'd be done through large plant dongs. Alas, from here on, it's only pure speculation. For others, it also involves some personal time with a box of Kleenex and hand sanitizer.

4. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I heard the best theory regarding breasts on Florans.
    It said that certain Florans evolved them to lure horny fleshies to their doom.
    so like sirens or something. Just throwing it out.

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

They'd have had to evolve WITH horny fleshies who had ALSO evolved breasts. Unless Florans have a far more rapid evolution and evolved said breasts only AFTER coming into contact with boobed animals. Which would require some kind of accelerated evolution.

6. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Well yeah, I understand. Like I said, I was just throwing it out there.

7. mpsemp

mpsemp New Member

Florans have boobs because they are Humanoid Aliens like the rest of the non-mammalian races. In addition to ease of spriting and animating, f you make an alien look truly inhuman, it is hard for a human (which you are IRL, no exceptions) to actually emotionally emphasize or even comprehend the emotions and nature of that alien. Fact is: boobs are easier to relate to.

There's just no useful way to explain it in-character and trying to do so is a complete and senseless waste of time.

8. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

[​IMG]
    I'm surprised that this isn't the post that pretty much ended this topic.
    But if you still want 'realism': You can do as much research about whenever florans are herms or if avians/florans/novakids have boobs, but there is still no OFFICIAL conformation by Chucklefish team that they work like this. All that was simple speculation made by one or another. You people seem to forget that Starbound is based around space, universe and million planets. Any race introduced in Starbound doesn't have to be "like something we have on Earth". Yes, they might be similar (like Apex and Avians who remind us of apes and birds), but they don't have to be when it comes to how they work and so on. Use your imagination, please. Read such commonly known science fiction authors like Simak or Sheckley. I believe they have some work about how organisms MIGHT work on other planets and worlds. Once again. You people seem to compare species that were introduced in Starbound to Earth's species way too much. Then you do some research, bring up some examples and for some silly reason you use it as a fact and custom lore or whatever. I know that Starbound isn't rich with lore yet, but it isn't finished as a game either. That is what you get for roleplaying, using an unfinished universe. Don't try to complete a product that wasn't even left by their original authors.

9. mpsemp

mpsemp New Member

[​IMG]

10. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

[​IMG]

11. I don't care if I have to scoop up my melted ice cream, I want realism in my Starbound and I'm going to shove it down your throat whether you like it or not