1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotl Fins, what are they? (How much you DIDN'T know)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by invictus69, Jul 21, 2014.

1. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Here there everybody, I've decided to create a thread that is to be the thread when it comes to discussing, debating and agreeing on the biological nature of the various races in our pretty little community. This isn't just about Hylotl, its about every race. Here is where we ask the questions that really matter.

Do Apex have hairless shiny red butts?
    Can Hylotl style their fins like humans style their hair?
    Does it make any kind of sense for any race besides human and apex to have b-boobs?

These questions and more will be discussed until the wee hours of the morn. It is here where these questions will be answered once and for all, with logic, and reason, and yelling.

2. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

They're apes, not baboons, so no.

Nah, fins aren't nearly as flexible as hair.

No, especially not Florans.

3. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

GG, regroup next week everyone.

On that note, i'm fine with Avian having boobs, not functioning of course but nature dictates that birds tend to have quiet a bit of chest meats for our feathered friends.

4. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

Yeah, that's fine. Quite honestly I couldn't care less if Hyotl or Apex had them either, it's just the Floran people with "THEY TOTALLY HAVE PLANTDICKS GUYS I SWEAR" that are annoying.

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

You have summoned upon yourself a fiery hell. I'll get my cents in before it starts.

Should Avians have boobs? Probably not. If you want to use the argument of 'chest meat', males would have them too. And the chest meat on birds tends to be part of the shape of their bodies. Seeing as Avians are humanoid, it's likely they would have very different muscle tone from your standard birds.

Should Hylotl have boobs? Probably not. Fish frogs and all that. (Let us not even begin on how they should actually breed, because a lot of angry whining will commence.)

Should Glitch have boobs? Of the non-mammal races, most acceptable, definitely.

Should Florans have boobs? Well, all the Floran *Cough*romance*cough* would be less interesting without, I assume. Not big on playing Florans myself (see: Least favorite race).

As it stands, mammals are DEFINED by the presence of mammary glands (read: science talk for 'boobs'). If Avians are actually birds, and Florans are actually plants, and Hylotl are actually monkey fish frogs, then no; they should not have boobs. What it comes down to is, likely, laziness/convenience on the part of the devs. Chances are they didn't want to sprite for all the different anatomies.

Edit: *Cough* In addition to possible laziness, they probably wanted a convenient way to discern between genders. Chest fluff could work for Avians, but I have a hard time thinking of what to do with Florans and Hylotl.

#5 Felonious, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  6. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

[​IMG]

They deffinately don't have traditional reproductive organs, but i refuse to believe they reproduce asexually, for obvious reasons. I like to believe any floran can actively choose to be 'male' or 'female. Either that or they're all hermaphrodites.

7. Diddums

Diddums That Loveable Lad

Yeah, I think it was agreed upon/discussed that all florans are indeed unisex in a previous threads. With other factors distinguishing the whole "identification" of male or female.

((Also haha, I had replied and had my name on every single OOC topic for some brief moments. yay.))

#7 Diddums, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  8. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

On the matter of Floran Biology, are the controlled by electrical impulses or chemical ones?
    How does their muscular structure work? Do they have bones?

9. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

"It'd make them less ERP-able" is not really a valid reason

10. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

On the topic of floran bewbs, I totally came up with the most legit explanation for them the other day. For it to make the most sense, let me reference THIS PLANT

[​IMG]
    The Rafflesia!

This is a carnivorous plant that attracts flies and insects by emitting a smell similar to rotting meat. The flies arrive, going "Oh boy food", and then they're food.

NOW! Florans.

Can someone tell me what male sentient mammals tend to enjoy? Some females, even. Yes, the answer is of course glorious boobs.

The floran species evolved boobs as a way to attract prey. A human walks over, and says "Oh boy, boobs!" and suddenly they're food. Curse boobs, mortal mans one true weakness.

11. Diddums

Diddums That Loveable Lad

But I thought the whole technological advancement was fairly recent, meaning they wouldn't have suffered as much exposure to have this, I presume natural selection take place. Even if the case was that the advancement was hundreds of years ago, I thought the lore stated they was secluded and aggressive, would they be any need for breasts to develop for the purpose of seduction if the relations were so hostile to begin with? And I'm sure anyone exploring at these times of hostility and ambiguity to encounter/study/fight florans wouldn't be susceptible to any allure.

By the way I'm absolutely atrocious when it comes to Biology, feel free to correct me in any spots I've gone wrong.

12. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Shut the hell up and accept it

13. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Twas also a joke.

14. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Poetry.

15. Noah Campbell

Noah Campbell New Member

Being someone who ERPs a lot, I honestly think that the breasts and other spots are for different purposes.

Humans + Apex: Breast feeding.
    Hylotl: Air/water sacks. They can be sensitive?
    Florans: Maybe that's where they hold food, the floran gender selector originally had the names "Hunter and gatherer" Common sense tells you which is which. Maybe florans don't like people touching them cause that's where the food is?
    Glitch: Robots can have what they want. "Embarassed. S-Senpai."
    Avians: ... Why're there giant flying muscles if they don't fucking fly? I dunno.... Fuck avians man, they're the most confusing.

*Imagines the Fleet flapping their arms in a form of phalanx, stomping and squawking*

16. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

[​IMG]

17. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Since I last replyed I've been thinking about this a lot, be prepared for my little rant here.

Lets get the biggest thing out of the way, the simple fact that these 4 races (excluding humans and apex) are humanoid shape in the first place is asinine. Its lazy world building at worst, but its what we have to work with, so logic dictates we work from there. Given the fact that these 4 races are not in fact evolutions of earth animals, but are evolutions of different animals from different planets, we need to tone down our reliance on earth animals as reference points for these. Yes it helps, but when we get down to it animals here aren't humanoid for a reason.

Lets start with Glitch, its the easiest to work with. Glitch are robots programmed to be like humans, ghosts in shells if you will, and being robots they have, or should have, the capacity to upgrade/enhance themselves easily as long as it fit within the 'be human' programming nature. No glitches suddenly becoming dragons, okay? That being said, I will bet a left butt cheek that glitch, over the years, have developed SOME hardware for compatibility with the various races if they ever lacked them to begin with.

Next is the Hylotl. Frog will be used as a sort of base for these people. Why frogs? Rebirth animation implies frog-ness, but take it with a grain of salt. They are most likely amphibians in biological make up, that means their body heat is dependent on their surroundings (I personally rp my Hylotl with special underoos that regulate her body temp for her). They are probably spry and thin, not very hardy cratures, a bit elastic, and squishy. Whether they have a thin mucus coating is up to you. I say nay for my Hylotl. Reproductive organs? Of course. Similar mating habits to humans? almost definitely so.

Let me get this one out of the way now for those of you who don't get what i'm driving at here. The concept of monogamy is born from the evolution of the human reproductive method, I wont go into the icky details but this is how it is. That being said, any race with a concept of monogamy should share a similar mating ritual to humans.

As far as the respective races go in say... birthing methods, its a toss up, do avians lay eggs? Maybe, but the Avians humanoid build isn't efficient at keeping an egg warm by sitting on it. Do Hylotl lay egg clusters? I don't wanna think about it... really when it gets to that point its fair game.

The Hylotl example also covers the avian one well enough in regards to the more questionable aspects, the obvious biological make-up still applies, hollow bones, different muscle composition etc etc.

Now as far as breast go, when it comes to functionality there is no reason for them to exist on anything but humans and apex, but keep in mind that similar muscular structure implies similar fatty tissue build up, they can simply be evolutionary by-products.

The only race thats completely mysterious is the Floran. Not only are they unisex, their rebirth animation implies they are grown rather then birthed, its entirely possible that they have a completely different muscular structure if any at all, I'm like 98% positive they don't even work on electrical impulses but rather chemical ones, its all very confusing.

EDIT. I recently discovered that the venus fly trap has evolved to effectively use electrical impulses.

And that, is the end of my rant.

#17 invictus69, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  18. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

I dont think that chemicals can work fast enough to make an organism move and respond at the speed that is required, so i think they would use electrical impulses.

19. Mystyice

Mystyice New Member

Let me add something to the conversation c:
    If you guys wanna get some good research, the Hylotls are based on the Axolotls.

*flies away*

20. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

What it all comes down to is the science in this universe is about as soft as melted ice cream. Literally. You could just kind of... scoop it up and your hands would just get sticky. It's natural that we want to RP in a serious environment, but Starbound itself is NOT a serious environment. As such, I'm almost certain EVERYONE will simply run their headcannon, compromise should they find themselves in situations that require them to relinquish some headcannon, and move on.

Tis the natural order of things.