1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Pizza Please?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Izzida, Jun 4, 2014.

?

To what extent would you use this service?

1. Pizza boxes piled to the ceiling! [I'd be a regular]

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Sign me up! [I'd be an employee]

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I might indulge. [Might use it once or twice]

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Why would I even want this? [No thank you]

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Pizza! [indifferent]

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

In real life, a drivers license is a pretty low gate of entry for a job that pays minimum wage like a pizzaboy. So when you raise that bar to be pilots, you sorta have to jack the pay. Why would anyone be a pizzaboy when they could just haul cargo for more profit and less expense?

2. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I guess what we're saying is, in this universe of ours, a pilots license is equivalent to a regular average-joe drivers license.

Though yes. Maybe you could design like some sort of "ship", in the same way we make FCS ships, and just construct lil' hovering pizza joints on every colonies that allows it, so delivery isn't a costly issue.
    Sorta like a street food Van-stand

3. Izzida

Izzida New Member

You said it better then me. It feels like everybody around has a ship, and presumably a pilots license. Though I did consider sort of orbiting pizza ships like Aiko suggested.

It's not meant to be a super appealing job really. More a 'I really need the money and it's all I've got' job. Or maybe for some reason or other they can't really haul freight. Maybe due to a small ship or simply not being good doing it on their own and unable to get into a big company on it.

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

So, how much are one of these pizzas going to cost that cover the price of roughly 400 coal, and paying an employee?

5. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Or maybe they have a criminal history and no one is willing to hire them besides papa-petey's pizza palace

6. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Maybe open a pizza bars on colonies?
    Or like others said place ships around the place, like in LM.

7. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Enjoy my beautiful, descriptive mock up image

[​IMG]

8. Izzida

Izzida New Member

I don't know yet I haven't figured out the full pricing and menu and probably won't until I fond a sort of c-manager for it. Gauging response first. Also, again, with all of the asteroids and planets to mine I assume gas isn't monumentally expensive. Or, perhaps even some kind of hybrid ship that runs partially off some kind of battery system. A pair or two of 'company ships' that are very small and used purely for darting back and forth with the company covering gas.

Or, again, the orbiting pizza ships of sorts over established colonies. Though that would make the grouping of employees not really possible without multiple people running their games just to have their ships open for whatever employees are stationed there or whatever. But it could be possible. Or even on-planet shops, though those would need to be stationed and would be more difficult, with a delivery fee if you really want your pizza in the middle of nowhere.

The original plan was to have one main 'station' possibly even just making a shop on a small planet and treating it like a ship so it could always be open and have things go in and out of there. Giving employees a place to mull-about and interact or even have people pick up their own pizza's from there if they want. People use the gas to zip to a bar for a drink, I assume there's people who'd use it to zip to a pizza joint.

9. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

You could just /pretend/ theres pizza huts floating about in orbit at ship level also, instead of building them ... Hmmmm. Well, whatever you decide, I want pizza.

10. Izzida

Izzida New Member

I'm not 100% sure what this is supposed to represent but I like it.

11. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

How your pizza bars should look like.

12. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I want to remind you, you are attempting to trivialize space travel, and make up new technology, just to justify being able to deliver a pizza. Just make shops on colonies. Problem solved. No convoluted nonsense required.

13. The Grand Mugwump

Booooo. Hand waving away expenses and infrastructure at some big thing in the background is not cool and a little bit god modey. *wrist slap*

I still feel Twitch's question still stands, how does this mega chain make money and why would they come here if their pizzas require FTL travel for such a small population of customers? This feels like something more fitting for a small business than mega mundo corporation.

I'd like to think there's a step between "Lol everyone can dig up coal straight from the ground!" and "acceptable ship fuel." If you're looking for a loophole, consider how beaming coordinates are used.

14. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Round of applause to diablo for his cameo appearance

15. Izzida

Izzida New Member

There are more people in colonies then just the PC it's assumed that through on-planet shops, ships, etc... they've basically monopolized this sort of business. Delivering to shuttles stationed in space, smaller satellites communities, and other places where it'd be hard to open a stand-alone pizza place. Everyone needs food and due to the multiple kinds of pizza already IG for cooking I assume it's fairly universal at this point.

I have considered the use of beaming but got distracted by other talk about gas and such. Even stations along the way to cut out ships entirely or elongate beaming. Since I know many people have their ships orbiting other places but can go back and forth using home settings. I'm not sure how that would actually really work it's a bit more complex so I was trying to think of exactly how it'd go down. But a pizza hub and multiple warp-pads were considered. Also of course there'd be a step in between but access to the raw materials is still a bit easier which would, supposedly, make fuel a bit cheaper. Not the highest quality fuel but still.

If anyone has a better understanding of how that works in rp ideas would be appreciated. The ship idea was just more straightforward and being discussed so I guess I didn't think to throw this out sooner.

I'd like to find a way to make this work reasonably and I really appreciate all the input. It might seem like a trivial little thing to add to the server but I'm hoping with some planning it could actually be something kind of great to have.

16. Izzida

Izzida New Member

I'm just going off the general way the server handles it. It's a fairly common-place thing in the world/time the game is and it's not so much trivial as regular. If it were up to me not nearly so many people would actually have ships to make it much more dynamic and actually a big deal to have a ship and use it. Finding other means of travel from colony to colony. But that's not the current state of things so I'm working with what I've got.

17. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

You just sited npcs making up a bulk of population in the universe so I don't even need to. There is your people who mostly lack ships. Players will always only make up a minority. Players have space ships because it is an in game mechanic that you have from the start. Most players don't even have a real reason why they have their ship, or when they learned to fly it.

18. Izzida

Izzida New Member

True, which still floods the market of (ship owning people) and makes the impression that it's not overly difficult to have/fly a ship. I understand it's a game mechanic but people having ships for little to no reason is still something you have to take into account. The technology has been around long enough by this point in time in the game world that it's probably fairly common. At least for a dingy little one-man vessel of no real splendor. I'm not trying to make it off as a trivial thing but that's kind of how it is. There's people out there, younger characters, with no real job or skills but a ship. Why they don't work for something else. Who knows. But people have showed interest in working for this. Again, I appreciate the input and I'm not going to go out and do this without a proper, fairly accepted plan. Any suggested plans and how they might work would be really appreciated. I'm glad to be having this debate on it and hopefully come to a reasonable plan.

19. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

...e...
    Let's just put little pizza kiosks on each planet! Yeah! And avoid this whole .. problem.

20. Izzida

Izzida New Member

Yeah, or the 'little orbiting pizza ships that don't really move' idea. It's a ways off from being a reality if it ever becomes one anyways. I'll have to wait and see if anyone is interested in co-managing it. Or looking into the warping possibility. But that'd take a lot more research into how that really works so as not to cause more problems.

According to the poll there is general interest in it and people would regularly order pizza. Hopefully it's something that can be worked out and made a reality in some way or other. Thread hasn't even been up a day yet though, so we'll see what happens.