1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aero, May 31, 2014.

1. Aero

Aero New Member

Now here is my question... if they were trying to keep this under the radar... why test on the most populated colony?

2. Grifter

Grifter New Member

BEGONE DEMON!

3. Sen

Sen Guest

to troll

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Well now im really interested. Howd the character not get seen? Normally an arm woul show through. I -really- want to know how this is done.

5. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

I'm pretty sure it's still there, just hidden veeeeeeeery well via the usual means (recoloring and such).

6. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

that awkward moment when your current project is also making a small fight thing
    and you suddenly find this.
    *whistles innocently*

no srsly tho y u hav beat me

7. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Just remember what Hawke said, folks. This is something meant purely for testing, and only the person involved was given permission to do said testing. He has a long history with working on stuff like this and he knows what he is doing. Please do not try to mimic this or anything of the sort, as it could cause serious issues if you don't completely know what you're doing.

8. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Well good thing that:
    1. Mine doesn't exist at all yet seeing its not done
    2. Its only a gun and not some badass hackery stuck together.

fun fact: Using the vanilla ship textures leads to ultimate hilarity

9. techno_spider

techno_spider New Member

Yeah, I can understand the gun-thing must've been made by drawables... But being invisible /AND/ having a gun in your hand? Since camera-man helmet normally gets hides what you are holding, that would be pretty handy.

10. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

It's kinda kept under wraps n such for the previously said reasons. If you want an example of why, someone recently with little to no experience, decided to dabble with something, they made a boo. And the server log got filled with all these lovely error messages, and we got ourselves a fine and dandy batch of crashes. You know, those nifty ones that let you log on for all of one minute, teasing you, before kicking you right the F*** off.

So... Sometimes it's best to just let the more experienced code/mody people test/do stuff first, then find out how after, :p
    Since one little mistake on one of the more recent toys for people, wound up giving the server digital osteoporosis

11. Aero

Aero New Member

Mhm. I agree with this. However;

/WHY/ test it on the most populated colony? I just don't get it. Why not on a random planet?

12. Animator

Animator New Member

13. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

(ships are still a WIP.) <--- Important part of that post.

The guy working on them knows his shit, as well. Typically avoids causing any issues with the server, and has been actively testing to make sure that if it's successful, it won't be detrimental to the server itself, before considering it being used with factions, from what I can tell.

14. Aero

Aero New Member

15. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Maybe maybe not. That's their choice. *Shrug*

16. Animator

Animator New Member

There could be a million reasons as to why they wanted to show it off in LM: Maybe they wanted to see how it'd look with the aesthetic of the city? Test the mod where there /is/ the largest amount of people to see how it would work? Testing things in a public place isn't a foreign concept. They've been established by staff that they are very credible and experienced in what they do, and double and triple-checked the testing that they do to make sure that a) It doesn't crash in the server, b) It doesn't crash in the server with a lot of people in a given planet, and c) It looks good in said server or location that it's used. Hell, it could even be a preview to people that basically amounts to "hey this is what's gonna be in this city" and make sure other people can see properly as well.

Your persistence in asking why someone would show this off publicly seems to be less out of genuine curiosity as to how it works and more towards finding a way to rationalize your desire to get your hands on something you really want to use.

17. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

Honestly? Like Cole said earlier, the one thing I want to find out is if the person somehow was able to hide the arm beyond a really good recolor. Because if he or she somehow found out how to actually alter the order of the layers, I want to know. That's like the holy grail of gunsmithing.

18. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

How you've done your arm-weapons then?

19. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

Recoloring.

The problem with the arm weapons is that while they look perfect on the "off hand" (i.e. equipped in the left hand while facing right, or vice versa), when equipped on the main hand, the arm layer always appears in front of the weapon layer. The result is it appearing like your character is grasping onto the outside of the weapon, instead of the weapon covering the entire arm like it's supposed to.

Others have had this problem as well. I'm sure the USCM guys can speak of their experiences with their tanks.

As of right now, the only known way to deal with the issue is to recolor the arm so it blends in with the main color of the weapon/vehicle, and even then you can still spot the discrepancy if you look close enough. If this person has figured out a way to actually modify the order in which the layers themselves appear, I think I can speak for starcheat designers everywhere when I say it'd be a godsend.

It would go a long way to making all of our unique gear look a lot more realistic, and I can staunchly say such a thing would only benefit the server and its population in terms of immersion.

20. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

I can see your point. I've been writing pages of lore for my faction's powered assault armor.
    But it's an RP server, not a boast fest for coders.