1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aero, May 31, 2014.

1. Aero

Aero New Member

[​IMG]
    THIS IS WITH VANILLA ASSETS.
    I SAW IT IN LIBERTY MILLS.
    IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS A GUN THAT OVERLAPS THE CHARACTER MODEL.
    IT WAS /FLYING/ THROUGH THE AIR.
    HOW DO.
    NEEMA EXPLAIN THIS WIZARDRY.
    Ok, calmed down now.

2. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

I want

3. Animator

Animator New Member

There was a similar case in which someone did the same maneuver in another server while walking around as Patrick Star.

One of the theories was the arrangement of available particles in the game that, when assembled in a specific formation, allow the creation of the image depicted. To make it fly wouldn't be hard; there's a bunch of techs that let you do that, and with a modded suit of armor that gave you a lot of energy, you can technically fly forever. I could be wrong, though.

I saw a dude in this very server summon a small tank somehow. I don't know where this falls in the whole 'no mods' rule, but if this doesn't hurt the server, then it'd be a cool way to RP vehicles without breaking anything, even if it has the same appeal as an elementary school play with everyone holding cardboard cutouts in the front.

4. Aero

Aero New Member

Yes. I totally agree. And I would love the knowledge of how to do something like this.

5. Sen

Sen Guest

ples i must has the cool stuff so i can be cools too pls

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Some things are best left unexplained.

7. Aero

Aero New Member

Not this.

8. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Oh, but yes.

9. Aero

Aero New Member

So you're agreeing this should be revealed? Cause it should.

10. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

I agree with Aero. You've been caught, and other people are going to want to do this kind of thing. Not revealing is just going to make people angry.

11. Sen

Sen Guest

inb4 every colony infested with "roleplayers" who only exist to fly around OOC and show off their cool toys

Oh, wait. That already happens.

12. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

One day, perhaps when the world is ready. That day however, is not today.

13. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

Okay. So, yeah. Two reasons why things like this shouldn't become commonplace.

1) It makes no sense in character for everyone to be running around with military vehicles.
    2) These sorts of things are fragile as hell and messing around without knowing exactly what you're doing can cause serious problems.

So, vehicles like this are, essentially, made the same way our gunsmiths make their fancy guns. Just, y'know, on steroids. Sometimes they use a bit of black magic that I am not going to explain, because it involves some in-depth coding and can royally screw the server if you mess up.

Needless to say, things like this should be tacked by professionals only, and ran by the coders on the staff beforehand. As this was.

As far as distribution goes, let me remind you we're talking about tanks and airships. These are not something regular people would have; as it is, the only factions that currently have this are the USCM (tanks) and Holy Fleet (ships); both of which are massive military organizations.

If anyone representing a faction wants to know how these work, we can talk. In private.

14. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

you people need to understand that with great power comes great responsibility

there are *reasons* we don't flaunt some things, and breaking that unspoken rule causes certain unfavorable reactions... as seen in this thread

otherwise everyone be like "giff railgun/tank/gunships/exosuit weaponry pls"

Ninja edit: I hope that thing has prop weaponry.

15. Animator

Animator New Member

I've seen a lot of custom stuff in Starbound, and this line:
    Is why a huge majority of modders/hackers in Starbound have closed lips about this sort of thing and more throughout the community. The possibility for exploitation is huge. It is probably for the better to keep that information under wraps until CF beefs up Starbound servers, as cool as it may be.

16. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

You literally have no idea. It takes a HUGE amount of self-control to prevent the descent to the dark side. And if people who aren't ready suddenly learn how to do this sorta thing?

yeah, no

17. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

Forget the dark side. Just doing this right takes a shitton of work.

18. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

That's why I stick to guns, honestly. Hell, even getting that right can be a pain in the ass sometimes. A vehicle? Maybe if I had to, like for the RA or something, but believe me when I say I'd rather not.

In terms of making sure it doesn't... uh... blow up a planet? Nowadays I just set everything to zero. Prevents any trouble. >_>

19. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

I can say for a fact I witnessed the same thing from the same character minutes ago.

20. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Black Mage Sen strikes again! We are all powerless towards such black magic. @_@