1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

How to win friends and not get shot up?

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Swartz, May 29, 2014.

1. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S. Fullwood-

So, my name is Upton S. Fullwood. And I just recently left my farm, for the first time in my life. It's been literally three days, and I'm already hospitalized. So... I had a few questions for you regulars out and around these parts.

Mostly, how do you make friends? Because yesterday, I tried to make friends. I really did. And you know what happened? I got shot in the butt and back twelve times and got my hand chopped off by some crazy dude in a green mask and armor.

Now, I ain't the most experienced person around. I came from this tiny little homestead that my Pa made, and there wasn't a person around for miles. So I mostly had to deal with my family for my eighteen years. But they taught me not to act like a jack ass, so... Well, I don't really know.

Now, I try to treat everybody right, whether they're fish things or plant things or metal things or extra hairy. And I just don't know what I'm doing. I ended up in this damn bed without a hand.

Now, I don't know if this is just the way things work around these parts, but it seems mighty damn wrong, if that's how people treat each other. Anyways, like my Pa always said, "Ya' gotta have friends, 'cause if you don't have friends, you're a bum."

Pardon the long rambling writing, but I'm just sorta... Well, I just plain don't know what to do.

2. Nodnare

Nodnare New Member

Verum: You can always try talking to the people who saved you for starters.

3. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S. Fullwood-

Well, for one, I'll be doing that. I just don't remember who saved me, as I was kinda bleeding all over the place.

4. Animator

Animator New Member

Vector:

Welcome to the galaxy. The best thing to ask yourself before talking to someone is, "If I approach him, will he kill me?" If you eye him up and down and feel that you get the same vibe as the bandits that tried to kill you, then congratulations, you're one step closer to surviving. If not, and they still try to kill you, then you should just stay armed at all times.

It also wouldn't help to message people to meet up with for safety. You have a tool at your disposal that allows you to communicate with people without having to be physically present: Use that to your advantage.

5. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I don't mean to sound preachy, friend, but the galaxy is a dangerous place. Many times my life has been put at risk because of misconceptions of people. This sector needs more friendly folk like you, so don't stop being friendly, just be cautious.

I advise you look for a settlement. Most are hospitable and offer a more friendly environment.

6. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S. Fullwood-

That's all well and good, but I don't get any feelings from anyone just yet. Maybe it's a thing you develop?

As for this, I just try to do right to people, so maybe they'd do right to me. With the green guy who chopped off my hand, I tried to help him make another mask. Then he pushed me into a saw, and well, you get the point.

7. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, though it's kind of a normal thing.

I've got time on my hands and you sound a bit lonely yourself. If you'd like we can speak with one another. I might be able to help introduce you to some of the more kinder people in this galaxy.

-Melanne

8. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Accept that StarNet is a trap.

Live life a little better.

9. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S. Fullwood-

That'd be great. I'm a bit of a cripple at the moment, due to getting shot and my hand chopped off, but it's always nice to meet a few friendly faces.

10. LaserLlamas

Ah I know the feeling. Where would you like to meet? I'm at Liberty Mills currently.

-Melanne

11. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S Fullwood-

I can be at Liberty Mills soon enough. I'll keep an eye out.

12. LaserLlamas

Will do! Won't be hard to find me, just listen for the music. Sitting right in front of the bar.

Still closed like always.

-Melanne

13. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

((JR, Voice-to-Text Protocol))

Don't ever meet people alone or out in wild places. That's how you become a one-handed slave. Want my suggestion? Rig your ship with some payload to drop on your coordinates when you're in trouble. You'll die, yeah, but the kartaaking shazzbats trying to shank you will too. Set it up to send me a message when you do, and I'll piss on their ashes for you too.

14. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S Fullwood-

That seems really extreme... I think I'll just get a pistol or something.

15. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I find a steel katana to be an elegant, inexpensive, ergonomic and functional defense weapon. My personal suggestion.

16. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S Fullwood-

What is a katana? I'm really only familiar with bows and crossbows.

17. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

It's a curved, slender, single edged sword used by a majority of my race. It is an ancient design, but still serves as a fine weapon. I could easily 3D print one for you should you be interested.

18. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Upton S Fullwood-

I appreciate the offer, mister, but I think I'd just cut my leg off.

19. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Very well, friend. I wish you luck in finding your place.

20. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

-XxChillinxGilan24Xx-

I'm trying to set up a condo for me and a bunch of people who are like minded. The world is full of people who like to shoot and stab and kill and torture... So, we avoid those people lol. Would you be interested?