1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Idea - A Floran tribe to rival Taranis and the Desert Florans?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Destroyer713, May 19, 2014.

?

Yay? Nay?

1. I like the concept, even without the details!

21.4%
  2. I'd like to see more details before I form an opinion on this.

71.4%
  3. Not worth it to further this. There's too many Floran tribes already and/or this is bound to fail.

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

You don't even know they're a girl dammit! o_O

2. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

AIs have zero actual lore behind them. Every time there's an AI character (not shittalking you, TD), they draw from how AIs have been portrayed in other works, with no actual basis in Starbound lore.

3. Sen

Sen Guest

Great, another tribe that is friendly towards meat. Yay.

4. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

sharp killed tombo in cold blood right in the villa of taranis.

if anything sharp hates everyone xD

also, #yolo

5. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Sen can I make a floran alt to join your tribe except my character will be really unique and cool because he'll be friendly and pacifistic and not like his kind and he will only like hugs but he was also raised by hylotl shinobis that taught him the dark art of becoming invisible, teleporting, and wind walking?

Also hes 10 feet tall and can lift entire cars over his head
    And has a russian accent

6. Sen

Sen Guest

It's sad that this is a gestalt of existing characters on the server.

7. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I'm not hearing a "no"

8. Grifter

Grifter New Member

they're unisex, so it don't matter senpai

9. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

I feel the problem with Floran is people read Savage and hear Evil. Floran excesses are played up while other races that are supposedly civilized who do equally egregious things are deemed acceptable. Avian are a horrifying theocracy who sacrifice other species who happen to stumble upon their temples, for gods-sake. Floran are backwards yes, but they were ascended way too early, and even then they're really not that much more horrible than their mind controlling, territorial, monsterously religious, and otherwise generally nasty neighbors. The only species that could potentially be considered good in the starbound universe are the Hylotl, and even then I suspect that's just because we haven't learned yet about their atrocities.

Yet again and again, what I hear is that floran are 'evil,' and the quote civilized unquote galaxy is 'good.'

The reality is however that Floran are less culpable then their neighbors for their behavior. They were ascended early by chance. Imagine, what would happen if humans had gotten a warp drive back in the ancient era? They would not be too different from floran. Hell, many things we take for granted, such as belief in slavery as being something morally wrong, are relatively recent advances in modern thought, and even then it's hardly universal. Floran haven't gotten a chance to have their enlightenment. They're still in the beginning of their cultural lives, and have time to develop that culture into something better.

The rest of the species advanced scientifically and culturally to the point that they could synthesize matter and travel the stars... and still are all genuinely shitty people.

10. Diabloshadow

Diabloshadow Retired Admin

so my question now is, should florans be all hugs and kisses, or go murderbone everything? because thats what i feel this is getting into... maybe its just me. anyways, i like my floran i think as she is abit of both, yet also rips your neck out. fun for everyone. *cough*me and fire shared a human dinner*cough*

11. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

This does bring up some questions of my own. What values, specifically, do the two current Floran tribes even hold? If this idea of a third tribe were to be taken in a direction where it would be a rival to the two existing ones, it would probably have to hold different values than those two tribes, right? Otherwise, it'd just be fighting just for the sake of fighting.

Hmm, that does give me the thought of making a Floran tribe that's forcefully modernized in thinking, with some negative implications, probably. Assuming, of course, the two current tribes aren't already like that in some way already.

Boy, this makes me wonder what everyone did to get these two existing tribes up and running in the first place. xD

12. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Btw. call me when tribe will be ready, I want to join/help with building.

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

As long as the tribe has no laws against killing non-florans. Floran culture does not consider any of the other edible species as anything but meat.

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

So... the big question I have is why? Why would this other tribe care Taranis and the snowflake tribe?

15. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

Ultimately, you'd end up forcing floran to play humans, which always defeated the point, in my opinion.

This is demonstrably false. While floran aren't big on caring for law and order in the way humans do, the only real species they view as less then dirt is the Hylotl. The codex has them at least attempt to offer hospitality to other species, and desire the admiration of other species.

Floran are half inclined to eat you if you piss them off, but that doesn't mean they have no drive other than 'eat and stab.'

16. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Mucklurk and his leftover brood aka Flem and Narf are homeless :(

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

''Their aggressive nature appears to be borne from a lack of a concept of non-plant life as opposed to outright contempt. Owing to their relatively young age as a species, this tenet dominates their culture and justifies their treatment of visiting races, though there are signs of some beginning to question this, implying that Floran individuals might not be inherently “evil” as previously thought.''

18. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

Ah, excellent question!

The main reason would be that Flowerkiller, the character who would probably be in some sort of leadership position for this tribe, values being able to "fend for yourself". To my knowledge, the other two tribes are already allies to each other, and the Taranis Tribe is allies with the Glitch on Taranis and the United Systems. Plus, they're not particularly fond of Glitch in general due to an incident they had with a Glitch on Taranis once, which could further justify them not liking Taranis in general so much.

Hmm, good point. Probably not the best idea then...

19. Grifter

Grifter New Member

I got Desert Tribe from a USCM Event XD

20. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

no longer allies ith the uscm scrub. sharp deemed then traitors and hates their guts. why iss why she hates humans witha passion now :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.