1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Regarding the Recent "Block" on Noah's post, as well as other unecessary locks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malachar, May 18, 2014.

1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Could you possibly stop treating IC starnet posts as a giant forum board when it isn't Teralis?

StarNet is the primary name for "The Internet" as it exists in Starbound.
    It is the IC term for the Internet and should be used whenever appropriate.
    It also serves as a way to prevent confusion between our realworld Internet and the Starbound Internet.
    Currently, StarNet works very much like our realworld Internet via a system of interconnected computers and devices.

^ taken from the "what is starnet" post.

#1, please refrain from locking threads unless it is absolutely obvious it is no longer relevant.
    I.E. people posting in the old traptooth threads is old news
    People posting in a word game thread should be fine unless you have access to whatever host they use IC

#2. The recent "block" of Noah's post.

This is downright wrong.
    First and foremost, it again defies just what StarNet is. Starnet is, the internet in our SB world. Not a simple forum board that the mods have access to IC.

Notice no Mods "blocked" any of the Traptooth threads, take past mod's examples as guide.

2nd. even if you DID have access IC to block it, Block it IC and leave the text there OOC as a legacy so people could see what happened should they wish to know the stories.

That is all, thank you.

Edit: I am aware that there is a primary "Starnet forums" run by a company, and if the RP was set up to block, cool. Just keep legacy text y'know?

Otherwise anyone who might keep a record IC would have had to have had the foresight to actually keep a literal copy OOC.

#1 Malachar, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  2. Narfball

Narfball narfball

OP said what had to be said.

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

To address a few things. While StarNet as a whole may be the sweeping term we use for the internet in the community, the forum section clearly reads...
    Upon originally bringing the issue of users abusing hidden or anonymous, in most cases to snipe at other players from the shadows I was originally informed that any un-usered post should be deleted. I instead made the StarNet admin text which is used to periodically used to remove content that is illegally posted on StarNet Forums due to lack of an account. This was an IC measure to let people know to stop doing this, as it has been mentioned several times previously they cannot.

As I was the only moderator doing this, I never had need of laying down guidelines. Now that we have other staffers using it, I had to clarify. All player must have their posts tagged as a user (unless their forum name is the character in question they are posting as), if not they will be removed. The one exception to this, is when the post if the creator of the thread. You are still not allowed to post anonymously, but you are to be given proper warning to correct this before content is taken down.

Noah's post will be restored, and he must provide the user name for the post. It's that simple. If people which to make posts from a hidden user, they much do so outsie of the StarNet Forum section. As staff do not sensor IC topics due to content (unless they break the CoC) unless it is a rare exception, being the recently closed, poorly veiled spam thread. We will continue to enforce StarNet's username policy. If you cannot be bothered to adhere to the posting guidelines, no addition effort will be made outside of what I mentioned above to preserve your content.

4. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

I'd also like to personally apologize for the removal of the content there, as I was unsure of what to do. However, I'd also like to explain some of the other stuff that has recently been brought up to me about points where I'll be the one to move threads, lock threads, etc. Despite being the one to do it most of the time, I would like to say that I don't do it without first bringing it up with the rest of the staff. So it's not just my own decision to do such things. I am only the one making the posts when it does occur. I know that wasn't the case with Noah's post, and I apologize for that. But I do hope this information can possibly help clear up a few things when people are unsure whether or not I'm acting on my own.

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I see, thank you for the clarification Twitch.

Lemme see if I have everything proper.

Would it be safe to assume the "starnet" section, i.e. Starnet general is all part of "Starnet Forums" run by the aforementioned "starnet enterprise"

And everything that falls under "outside of starnet" being things like various internet sites?

That clears up a lot of questions and misconceptions I've had if i'm understanding everything properly.

Before, I had assumed the "StarNet Genera" was an amalgamation of news, blogs, space-twitter, etc

And I apologize for jumping the proverbial shark on the locks issue Teralis, as I was unsure how exactly the different sections worked in an IC context.

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

S'ok. We are here to inform as much as we are to enforce.

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Everything Under StarNet Forums is StarNet forums.
    Everything under "Outside of StarNet" was originally intended for RP that didn't take place on the Internet at all, like distress beacons, anomolies, and other things.
    As for "other sites", players can create their own websites if they want, though this requires a working knowledge of web development since it would be an actual IC page that'd I'd host on the webserver.

8. Sen

Sen Guest

inb4 someone asks to upload a shell script :p

9. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

ahhh i see. Thanks Kaz

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Goodluck.