1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Dialysis Machine

Discussion in 'Archives' started by The Grand Mugwump, May 4, 2014.

1. The Grand Mugwump

As the title states, I am seeking a local seller for a dialysis machine. It must also be usable for or easily adaptable to Avian, Human, Apex, and Hylotl blood chemistries.

Signed,
    Dr. Mizu Suimaa

2. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

iss really die- alsysis machine

iss kill you.

iss fissh trick.

3. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

((Traptooth))
    NEVER TRUSST FISSH

4. The Grand Mugwump

Doubtless you're proud of your little pun there. When used by a professional, which I am, it will NOT kill its patient.

5. Kai

FISH SAY IS PRUFSHNEAL IS ACTUALLY MURDER FISH KILL STAB STAB

6. Sen

Sen Guest

then is not pro

anything can be use to kill

with enough stab or smash

7. OptionalFingers

OptionalFingers New Member

I could get you one for only 1000 pixels, but it won't be of much use without an AI to control it.

- Gilleen

8. The Grand Mugwump

An AI controlled dialysis machine? Where would I acquire an AI for such a device?

9. OptionalFingers

Of course I could make one for you. It'd take a lot of time though, and I'll need you to give me a lot of information on what your AI will be like. The price of this AI of course depends on the amount of programming and engineering it'll need.

-Gilleen Mingester

10. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

"Don't you mean a VI?... What sort of dialysis machine would use an AI? That's just insane."

-Aedan

11. OptionalFingers

You call it insane, I call it perfection. There's so much unnecessary work when you don't use an AI for lab things.

-Gilleen

12. Terallis

"And an AI in that sort of machine can cause all sorts of chaos. It's better to use a VI with specific programmed functions. Generally, AI are far too unreliable for that sort of thing. Not to mention, I doubt it would appreciate being stuck in a dialysis machine."

-Aedan

13. OptionalFingers

Clearly you have no idea about how an AI works. It's not like you're shoving some hyper intelligent being into a small box. The creator is the one who decides what they should know and what they can do. Not to mention that the creator also decides what the AI enjoys and what not. In other words, the AI will not mind being in control of the dialysis machine, as long as it's programmed not to mind.

14. Kai

((remy))
    woah
    what
    thats horrible :^(

15. Liraxus

Liraxus New Member

Really?

Really.

-Sativa "Noah" Oran

16. Terallis

"And when it starts minding? AI Research is very difficult to work with and very dangerous. If given enough of a personality or otherwise to be classified as an AI and not a VI, it can easily slowly start to become self aware, you realize. It doesn't matter if you avoid certain programming features. In the end, it's more likely to become self aware and start modifying its own code. If you start arguing the fact that it won't have those abilities, you likely don't even know what an AI is. A VI is the best option in this case as they tend to have semi-limited programming that function to accomplish very specific goals. Which, for a dialysis machine, that's more than sufficient. I really think you need to learn the difference, though."

-Aedan

17. OptionalFingers

Yeah right, we've all seen Rise of the Homicidal Flat Screen. Let me make something clear to you: that's fiction. Anyone with the least bit of knowledge on AI engineering knows that you should never give your AI the abilities that might make them self aware. Seriously, I'm getting quite sick of all these "AI are people" people.

- Gilleen

18. Terallis

"Uh-huh. Mind you, I'm really not one of those people. I'm stating that AI programming is very dangerous and unstable as a whole. In the current age, AI technology can easily lead into something developing self-awareness. You really aren't understanding my point at all."

-Aedan

19. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Ah hah hah.

Ah hah.

Hah.

You are very humourous. This was a very humourous joke. Well done, clearly-sensible organic being.

Wait. My sensors are picking up something. They state you... Are truly this naive.

Ahem.

The very term 'artificial intelligence' is a very loose and poorly-defined term in most languages in which it exists. In general, it refers to any intelligence that resides in a mechanical being. If you had gotten out of your bubble or titanium box or what-have-you a bit more regularly, you would perhaps have spoken to some mechanical sentients that could have clarified that, contrary to what many organics seem to think, a mechanical being is every bit as capable of emotion, sympathy, and self-awareness as an organic being. In many cases, we are moreso. In any case, a true "intelligence" is capable of experiencing wondrous emotions such as love, hate, desire, contentment, and/or remorse. As any Glitch will tell you, many of these emotions exist in abundance in most any Glitch society.

Programming varies by the unit, of course, and some are capable of "feeling" more than others. This is also true of organic beings - something I've witnessed firsthand, as you most likely have as well. (Assuming, again, that you have had any desire to leave your bubble/titanium box/et cetera.)

Now, with regards to the term 'artificial intelligence'. I've already explained why it is a bit of a naive term in and of itself, usually coined by individuals that did not understand the capabilities of non-organic life. Given the accomplishments of mechanical beings in the universe, I would hope this to be an outdated philosophy. That being said, what I believe you may be referring to is called a "program". Perhaps a "computer" or "terminal". Surprisingly, not every single device that is programmed can be considered an intelligence.

If you are referring to automating a dialysis machine to appropriately monitor the patient's state and function as necessary for their continued health... Well, that is something that any dialysis machine should do. "Surprisingly", you do not need your dialysis machine to be sentient in order to accomplish this.

As a result of what I have explained above, I surmise you either do not know what a true "intelligence" is, or you truly believe that a sentient being has to be confined to an immobile device for its entire existence in order to make a dialysis machine effectively function.

In the former case, you are a fool.

In the latter case, you are sadistic, cruel, and/or a fool.

And in either case, you are rather offensive.

Please review your logic programming.

- Chronicle

#19 Chronicle, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
  20. Kai

((remy))
    whoever this guy is talkin about shovin sentient synthetic beings like that into gross tiny boxes to pump pump pump gross bodily fluids
    is a huge frickin titface ok

props 2 guy explainin VIs and AIs tho like i mean who these days don't -know- the diff between those two ayy lmao