1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

CONTAGION

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Terallis, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

So, I've actually had this game since Christmas, but the full release was about a week and a half ago. Wondering if anyone else has this game. For those who don't know what it is, I'll give a brief overview.

Not to be confused with the movie of the same name, Contagion is a stand-alone zombie survival FPS. Now, I know a lot of people are probably like "Ehhhhh.... Not another ZS game." However, this one is actually a lot of fun. It goes back more to the roots of a survival game while still keeping the fun multiplayer elements. It's actually made by the creators of Zombie Panic: Source, and is mean as a spiritual successor to that game.

Overall, the game has slow moving zombies (Yes. This isn't Left 4 Dead) that can be rather numerous depending on the difficulty you set. Also depending on the difficulty you set, ammo and weapons will become either easier or far more difficult to find. At least on the Escape game mode. Something else that can be changed with the difficulty involves an awesome system that this game has. Infection. Higher difficulties will have a far greater chance of infection when hit.

That brings me to yet another awesome feature. When you become infected, you won't really know it for a short bit until your vision starts going weird, sounds start to become muffled, etc. Then you'll turn. Yes. When you die, either from infection or otherwise, you will become a zombie, just like in ZP:S. However, unlike zombie panic source, you aren't some beefy as fuck alpha zombie. You are someone superior to the other zombies, but only in four ways. You have human intelligence, you can sprint faster than other zombies, you can roar to form hordes, and you can grapple survivors for a high chance of infection. Other than that, you look the same as other zombies. In fact, you also get the ability to enter "Blend Mode" which makes you lose control of the zombie as it starts acting like any other zombie. This is in because survivors will probably notice the zombies that act differently and shoot them first.

Then there are the game modes. Currently there are three game modes and only a few levels, but there will be more later on as they plan on releasing free DLC with tons of new content. Current game modes are Escape, Extraction, and Hunted.

Escape is probably my favourite, despite there only being two maps available for it at the moment. You go through something of a mini-campaign mode to get rescued. The objectives and open paths are completely random each time (just like the placement of zombies and weapons), so it's a new experience each time you play. The two maps, currently, are a police station/prison and the open streets of the city that it takes place in.

Extraction is a simple game type. You need to get to the various NPC survivors that are holding out, defend them, and then bring them to the extraction point. All while keeping yourself (and the NPCs, of course) alive. This can actually be rather difficult.

Hunted isn't really my favourite, but it can be fun. It's literally a game of last man standing deathmatch with zombies all around. Simple as that. You die, you become a zombie. Be the last one truly alive and you win the round.

TL;DR

Zombie survival FPS with slow moving zombies that can infect you. You can become a zombie. Ammo and weapons are difficult to find. Has objective based game mode like a single player game. Also didn't mention that a single game can hold eight players.

To be honest, think No More Room in Hell with just slow moving zombies and actually controlling zombies. Oh. Did I mention that you also HAVE to shoot them in the head unless you plan on spending a ton of ammo? Though, riot zombies can't be head shotted, so have fun.

For more information, though, here's the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238430/

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

*Cough Cough* NMRiH.
    ( No More Room in Hell. )

3. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

sounds about like it, actually
    minus the zombie part

4. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

I've played both. The two are definitely not the same. LOL. Contagion is a lot less clunky, too, I notice.