1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Dynamic of 'Slaves'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BIGtheRED, Mar 27, 2014.

1. BIGtheRED

BIGtheRED Honey-glazed Bacon

Alright, my fellow StaR-Pers.

Slavers and slave traders are on the rise!

For those looking to delve into the Luminaria/The Astral Empire campaign, or more generally, all of those people who are simply curious, I'm hoping this open questioning will shed some good opinions and tips on how to engage this type of role, or participate with someone engaging this role.

((Now, don't get me wrong. I pretty much have decided how I want to conduct slaving and slave trading personally, but these questions are meant to provide open discussion and help entertain the notion of slaves and slavers in the StarboundRP universe.))

Some open questions to consider:

1) Since slaving isn't slaving without slaves, the existence of slavers would require characters who would be able to function as slaves. While you might think this is a role nobody would want to play, I've RPed in many other communities outside of Starbound, and you would be surprised by how many people RP as slaves (not counting the less qualified 'sexchat enthusiasts'. *shudder*)

Q: How would you see 'slaves' in RP function best? As normal characters turned slaves (interesting turn-of-event for your character to fall into/keep your current character interesting)? Characters specifically created to be slaves? Self-creating a slave character to play in a 2nd instance of Starbound? NPC spawners meant to 'pose' as slaves?

2) For those who don't know, almost all of the factions ban this practice except for the newly emergent Astral Empire, which poses to make this a regular practice within its own ranks, if not allowing it to bleed into the rest of the galaxy (hence why a handful of players are already looking to make slavers and slave-trading characters).

Q: With this kind of activity potentially open for growth, how do you feel this will affect politics? Will certain powers try to enforce justice? Will they blame the opposing faction? Will they just let it fade into the staticy mess of lawless individuals already out there?

I would love to hear what all of your opinions are.

2. Sen

Sen Guest

good luck, you'll need it

3. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I was actually going to do something along these lines using NPC spawners. However, my character is probably going to hide his slavery and claim that it's indentured servitude for food and board, and he'll claim that he's getting people out of the terrible conditions of refugee camps.

4. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Sharp allows slaves in her tribe. so buying any would not be a problem for her. i'd assume npc spawners to show slaves unless one actually wants to play as a slave. specifically made for slavery character.

5. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Agreed. Like, we can probably have both, I can't see it being an issue. Slave players and slave NPCS could just be two options.

6. Switchback

yeh :3

7. Trite

Trite New Member

Here are some RP reasons why a character might find slavery justified outside of them being assholes, (its fucked up moral reasoning time guise)

- the slave life is better than their current life "They rescued those poor savage florans from miniknog labs, that is better than being locked up!"
    - slavery is the only thing the slaves are capable of doing "Savage florans? At least they're putting their murderous tendencies to good use."
    - you're not really having someone as a slave, its just work to make up for a big debt. "I rescued all these florans from those labs. Being my lackeys is the LEAST they can do!"
    - the slave is a bad person that deserves it anyway. "Those florans? They murdered my family and pillaged my town! They deserve to be forced into labor."

other rp reasons as to why you might end up as a slave outside of just good old abduction
    -huge money debt
    -war prisoner
    -moral debt
    -criminal past

this is a pretty vague post but its just really meant to plant ideas, excuse my shitty formatting its late here roops

8. Crossed Swords

Crossed Swords New Member

I want to make a slave char. in the future but don't know any Slavers.. (oh and an actual slave, no sexual)

9. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I'm making a slaver soon.

10. Crossed Swords

Crossed Swords New Member

Message me and we could talk more about it

11. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

First of all, I like to think that being a slave doesn't mean all that people might think it implies.

I always keep in mind that Starbound takes place in the universe and that implies a lot of places and a lot of philosophies, morals and possibilities. It's imaginable that there have been hundreds of society and culture that have approached slavery differently. People assume that slaves mean Django. On Earth alone, slaves have been treated very differently in different ages and country. I'm not defending slavery at all, I'm merely pointing out that slavery isn't an absolute unbendable concept. It implies someone owned by another person or an organization, and then the rest can be bend.

The Astral Empire will always defend its slavery by saying that it doesn't stop you in society. It is a meritocratic society after all. Its drift is that, of course, if you're poor, enslaved, uneducated, you have very low chances of rising up. The structure isn't adapted for this. Suwedi, my Emperor character, has been a slave in his life. He genuinely believes it's a necessary step. If you start from the bottom of society, and rise up all the echelons, then you might be the next Emperor.

The way I see it, we have a few NPCs slaves in Luminaria to show off that it is a normal thing in our society and that it's perfectly ethical. It's to make it clear that it's not a hidden thing. But I do think playing a slave in our state could be interesting, as it's a true ascenscion for the player if he makes it so his character has a special talent. He'll be constantly put down but will slowly ascend in the echelons of our society.

We are indeed trying to push slavery so it becomes more present in everyone's life, even on places where it's supposedly forbidden. I really liked how Sharptooth was supposedly banned for bringing a slave into Stark, it was an interesting situation.

I'm certain the mere fact the Astral Empire allows blatant slavery will stir up some trouble when other political forces interact with us. It's already got some people outraged as us, wanting to destroy us, and when these people will be a whole faction, we'll have some more trouble and interesting RP situations, I think!

I also think it's creating a lot of RP possibilites, as Luminaria stands as a safe haven for slavers, as long as they undergo our economic rules. (That are bound to basically make Luminaria richer, if you read through them)

These are the main reasons. I excluded the "slaves being a bad person" thing, because the Astral Empire values life. In fact, we're so self righteous, we think that we value life more by enslaving people into our great cause than by letting free people roam around helplessly and hungry in places like Tetanus Fields.

The Empire Slave has a good life, for a slave. Minimal punishement, public abuse is not allowed, they are given a purpose, sometimes as far as being given augmentations, we make them do something with their hands and it's all they can do, and we consider them the pillar of our society and the reason why we comfortably can concentrate on our purpose, us, higher society member.

I should add that I'm talking exclusively about slaves, not the mentally abducted and re-purposed bodies The Astral Empire use for its army.

Tl;dr slavery can be done in a smart way, with a different approach, slaves don't have to be one-dimensional characters who just live to get whiped, and politically I think it's interesting for when it comes to factions.

12. techno_spider

techno_spider New Member

Seriously, I am all up for making a slave character too.

13. Trite

Trite New Member

[​IMG]

14. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

rubs palms

hides the skeletons in the closet

backflips into a lamborghini and justifies slavery

15. Bloodrazer

Bloodrazer Son of Rakkis

somehow relevant yeezy

16. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

that youtube video is slightly pitched up it makes me so angry cause kan gets so harsh and frank ocean voice is so high it sounds really weird pitched up

BACK TO ACTUAL STARBOUND SLAVERY THO

17. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

One of my characters is basically a slave and no-one can even tell. Doesn't need to be all rags and chains up in this bitch.

18. BIGtheRED

BIGtheRED Honey-glazed Bacon

You're right! It doesn't.
    It all depends on who your slaver is, and what freedoms/luxuries you get!

Its not always a bad thing. Not in this universe!

19. Switchback

Inb4 sex slaves start appearing.

HA

20. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

;)