1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

We are not alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazi, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazi

Kazi New Member

I know they are easy to forget, I mean you can't even see them. But the fact is we players are not alone in the universe. We are not the only one to frequent colonies, restaurants, bars, etc. People are there living their lives. These invisible npcs are there and would react to your character, even if it is only running away, but the fact is they are there and would react.

Just because no PCs are currently staffing a planet/player shop does not mean you can go and rob them without any risk. You shouldn't be able to vandalized, rob, assault, kidnap, etc without a little thought and description. (These are great things to post in the forums)

More importantly they can be a source of character development when other players are not around. Develop a crush on the waitress of a restaurant, get roughed up by thugs one night after drinking, go spray paint some anti floran graffiti and get stopped by the cops and have to clean it all off and pay a fine.

But also when you are doing this, please keep in mind that you don't always get the girl, your dates could go terribly! When you sober up you might not be able to remember who beat you up denying you revenge/justice. You shouldn't pants the cop and use your bat-grappling hook to escape. Good stories are about trying to overcome hardship and adversity, not succeeding at everything the first time you try it, sometime you may never succeed at your goals no matter how hard you try.

2. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

**nods agreeably**

This guy. Yes.

3. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

As much as I agree with a lot of this I must make it clear that we generally don't like to refer to NPC interactions in character, ESPECIALLY when they change your character's outlook on a race or a faction. For example - Hating the USCM because some NPCs shot at you. Don't do this, it's stupid. As far as treating NPC interactions as IC goes, if it helps you maintain realism then go nuts!
    Edit: I should probably learn how to read, I'm turning into Valor. Well, this is food for thought anyways.

#3 CouchPotato360, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  4. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

He means invisible NPC's, NPC's that don't physically exist in the game, but would have presence in the IC environment. For example, the old Fort Mattis Gate. When noone was operating it, there SHOULD have been an "invisible NPC' marine guard there watching over, that players would need to interact with. Or in bars, when the PC bartender isn't around, an "invisible NPC" bartender would be there to provide drinks.

#4 Aiko Ikari, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

yeah and like the guys supposed to be operating out gates when someone pases through them... EXIST DAMN YOU, EXIST

6. Ivrian

Ivrian New Member

That aside the universe or factions could not even exist without NPC's. Otherwise it would be only the ic players chars. Which is not a realistic reflection. Sure you dont have to go talk to empty space or anything, but just stay logical with your actions. And if you want to do something really bold, just mention on the forums what you did then. So the colony/faction leadership could think of a proper consequence for the actions that were done.

7. White

White The Guy who is always working.

damn, trying to like Ivrians post, sorry, just post then, posng from work, and my work don't like forums apparently, or does it like typing.

8. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

BY THE POWERS COMBINED, I SUMMON THEE, HEAR MY FRENCH WORD AND LET MY LIGHT CAST UPON YOU, RISE, ARISE FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE UNDERWORLD, BANKED AWAY IN YOUR DIGITAL RECESS, FEEL THE ELECTRONS FLOW THROUGH YOU, LIVE, LIIIIIIVEEEEE! AHAHAHAHAHA!
    View attachment 2323

Attached Files:

9. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

WHAT DARK MAGIC IS THIS

10. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

THE SPANISH INQUISITION APPROVES THIS SUMMONING!

11. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Back to wence ye came foul thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.