1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Universe & You

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Liraxus

Liraxus New Member

"Looks like we got...Chucklefucked."-Random IRC goer that I think was Aissa.

"YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"-The entire IRC

2. Valor

Valor New Member

That was me.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Aw, man. That's a real bummer. Guess it can't be helped, though. UNLESS....

Can we look into this? I mean, yeah, it puts a damper on building... but so does losing your progress intermittently and randomly as a crash/reset takes out your work. I think having SOME wipe protection in this fashion is better than none at all. Is it the most elegant solution? Probably not. But we don't really have anything else going for us right now, until this issue is fixed.

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

There is a reason we don't have this. Namely because it will be difficult to setup. Mainly because locating good backups out of the large pile of backups will take awhile. Not against doing it, it'll just take a lot of trial and error, and thus, server downtime.

5. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

All my buildings 100% post-wipe are still there.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

I think people would be understanding regarding this, assuming Chucklefish doesn't put out a fix with relative quickness. Since they haven't even been responsive about the bug thus far from what I know, I'm not overly confident in a quick solution. I mean, it's definitely something you'll want to talk to the community about, but if we're seeing stuff getting wiped still, it's probably the best way to keep things running relatively smoothly until a patch for the bug rolls out.

Just my opinion, of course. I'd suggest waiting the rest of the week (as I believe you intended to) to see what happens, but maybe begin preparing for something like this? Seeing what the community thinks of it?

And, most importantly! Your hard work is definitely appreciated.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Concurred. Furthermore, with regards to trying to find old backups: Honestly, most of the major colonies have proven time after time that they're capable of building a working colony for roleplay in little more than a day. For example, Tetanus Fields. We don't necessarily have to find the original, pre-all-the-wipes colonies. But, if a colony was allowed to take a day to rebuild, then get that backup saved as their colony that will rollback when necessary, that should be quite suitable until a more permanent fix is found. Finding the older backups in the sea of backups is unnecessary.

Again, they'd be unable to expand, since it would be stuck with the backup on loop. But having a couple of smaller colonies is better than having no colony at all. Even if some place has little more than some pavement, a place for mass-lodgings like a hotel or a stack of shipping crates (hey TF), and maybe a bar of some kind, it is infinitely better off for RP than a field with a couple of tents in it that keeps getting wiped, which is what we have to resort to at current.

8. Fen

Fen Pretty ßird

Seems like Tetanus Fields got wiped again.. or Camp Tetanus Fields.

9. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Yeah, that happened also in time with a scheduled reset at, if I remember correctly, midnight EST. It seems to have happened again, though, after that midnight wipe, so the planet wipe for TF is happening with much, much greater frequency. Twice in around 6 hours.

10. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Kazz, big update on this from Chucklefish (Mollygos):

http://community.playstarbound.com/...sometimes-returning.72607/page-2#post-1836849

"Is anyone experiencing this issue able to provide me with a pastebin of the "starbound.log" file located in their Starbound directory? Specifically the log of the point at which the worlds are wiped.

I understand how serious this issue is, and we'd definitely like to get it figured out."

If any of the rest of you have been conducting tests on private servers, please also do.

11. Venom

Venom New Member

Keep reading, they're going in depth. Keep hope alive.

12. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

Kyren to the rescue!

13. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

They're close to solving it.

14. Venom

Venom New Member

It appears we're screwed, then?

15. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

Given the new information provided by Kyren. I strongly suggest we wipe and get this over and done with. Scrap and rebuild, that sort of thing.

16. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

I suggest 100% wipe. EVERYTHING to trash can.

17. Venom

Venom New Member

I concur, as long as it fixes this. Which it seems like it might now.

18. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Back to work then. Making appropriate planning threads ETC, god help us all.

19. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Makes sense, lots of people (myself included) had to scrap our universe folder in order to make singleplayer even run.
    Starting from scratch is the best we can do, and the sooner we start rebuilding the better <3

20. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'll dig through the backups to try and find non-corrupted files.