1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[2/21/14] Recent Issues

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Ronnys

Ronnys New Member

So sad...I just wanted to RP :c

2. ComradeZed

ComradeZed New Member

We all wanted to. :< We know that feel. Just hang tight.

3. Trite

Trite New Member

I think it'd be a great idea to experiment in a new planet and try to pinpoint what gwts destroyed.

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

The staff with help from some community members is doing that already. SCIENCE!

5. Valor

Valor New Member

Last I heard a new colony was set up today..and it got blown up/rolled back.

Something fishy is going on.

6. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Glad to hear it, keep up the good work. Hoping this colony situation is an easy fix when you find out what it is causing it.

7. xShockwirex

xShockwirex New Member

I'd say do a wipe. The colonies can be rebuilt, it will just take time. Hell, it can even take a slow process of rebuilding. More roleplay material, ya know? I vote wipe.

8. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I am now prepared and fully support a wipe. However, what if even a wipe doesn't fix it :c?

9. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

You say this, but this would be my 6th time rebuilding.

10. xShockwirex

xShockwirex New Member

Well thats your fault. I guess. :3. Also Aiko, I guess then we would have to roll with it till its fixed... :c

11. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Can you provide more information on this, particularly on HOW the new colony was built? It would help to establish a better pattern.

12. Valor

Valor New Member

It's a beta. Yes I know how much it sucks using that excuse, but it is what it is and this last patch was full of bugs.

I know it sucks (and you know how long I spent on that damn warehouse/ship too), but I still vote wipe. Why?
    As of this writing basically -all- of the colonies have already been wiped from the universe and a lot of players are floating around galaxy chat pinging people constantly for coordinates to places that don't exist anymore...or are bugged so badly that if you teleport to them you end up crashing the server.

So people are bored while looking around for RP (seriously, this morning was a nightmare with a few unnamed individuals going OOC crazy about this) and finding none because none of the hubs are up. It's understandable that doing a rollback every time this happens is time consuming and not viable in the long run.

If a full wipe/server reinstall will fix the matter (and rebuild hopefully uninterrupted by constant crashing) when why not go for it?

#72 Valor, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  13. Valor

Valor New Member

I wasn't there for its construction. Probably better if the actual founders of said colony spoke up about it. The colony was named Stark if I recall correctly.

14. xShockwirex

xShockwirex New Member

I agree Valor. Like I said, this can give us a massive roleplay chance. Some kind of catastrophic accident or wipe out possibly, and rebuilding taking a while?

15. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

I don't support a wipe yet. Science takes time, and I refuse to support a wipe until more evidence (through deliberate experimentation, which Twitch states is happening) is gathered to tell us precisely what causes these wipes. If we wipe without knowing the cause, it'll just happen again. And again. And again. I may love building, but I won't love what happens if we move imprudently.

16. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

What's funny is we've had this discussion every wipe, and every time it happens someone comes in and says the exact same things.

It's always been done, and should always be done on a colony-by-colony basis. Some people elect of IC wipes, and some elect for OOC wipes. Mattis and the Freezer were always OOC, as was Avalon (see Steel Valley). Forcing everyone to adopt the "meteors destroyed every colony in the galaxy" just doesn't work.

I am aware this is an alpha. Which is why when a normal, scheduled wipe comes I buckle down and get to work. But I will not support a wipe that may not even fix it.

ADDENDUM: I have never experienced IC building that lasted. It's like RPing mining. It's fun for about 10 minutes.

17. Ronnys

Ronnys New Member

How about if we find out what caused the wipes AND can't restore it, then we rebuild.

18. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Concurred. Especially with information about this 'Stark' colony floating about. If it's true that someone's made a colony post-wipe and post-hotfix, that is still getting wiped, then it is entirely possible that the wipes will solve nothing.

Since mods are out, and it appears to be happening primarily to planets with a large population, I'm starting to suspect that players are causing the assets to fail to load in time, or something. After all, it's been stated that the bug is due to servers failing to load planet files properly under circumstances. We just have to find out what those circumstances are, and if we can fix it.

Either way, if there really is a colony that's been wiped post-patch/post-hotfix, then a wipe may be not only inconvenient, but 100% useless. And that would be tragic.

I say we keep experimenting for now. We've gotten in a lot of trouble for rushing into things. Let's learn from our mistakes.

19. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'm not really up for supporting a wipe considering I just finished building something huge, and there's loads of already built colonies. On the flipside, I'd like to see inactive colonies taken down and some of the active ones given a fresh start, but ehhhh I dunno.

20. Xenos

Xenos New Member

Apparently, when people try to get to Honeydew, it crashes the server.

I don't know if this is true or not... but...

Just in case, please stop trying to go there. I'm getting tired of having to reinvite everyone to my planet every two minutes.