1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

SBSE - Easy Player and Armor Coloring Without Mods (0.10.0 RELEASED - Pleased Giraffe supported)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phaze, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Another update! Sorry for the double post, just want to make sure the information gets posted here so people can stay up to date.
    • SBSE Desktop 0.7.3
    • Released October 10th, 2014
    • Download:
    • Changelog:
      • Feature: Added icons for back and head items while coloring
      • Feature: Face "Masks" (such as beaks) can now be colored
      • Fixed: Complete support for mod items (was broken)
      • Fixed: Face masks are now updated when changing poses
      • Fixed: Starbound root folder is now remembered
      • Fixed: Edit warning message no longer appears when saved from inside SBSE
      • Fixed: Long hair no longer clips through the body
      • Removed: SBSE Desktop no longer looks online when it cannot find files locally

2. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Does the advanced mode work yet?

3. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Not yet! Version 0.8.0 will be when advanced mode hits. I've been working on a method to select colors from your character in advanced mode without having to use an external image editing program, once that's done I have a few small things to tackle and then advanced mode will be ready to test.

4. Omenvreer

Omenvreer The Augury

Hmm... tested it out by editing the beak of one of my avian characters. Then I go to click on single player and the game crashes. I'm removing characters one by one to see which one was corrupted.

Edit: Not sure if all my characters were somehow corrupted or what, but for some reason i couldn't click on the singleplayer or multiplayer buttons in the starbound main menu without it crashing. I didn't feel like loosing all my characters that SBSE says i've put 800+ hours into, so i went ahead and did system restore to this morning. Don't know what changed to make this happen or if it was even SBSE's fault in the first place. =p

#84 Omenvreer, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  5. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Urk, that's a little worrying. SBSE backs up only characters you save and doesn't do anything but read the other files available. I don't think that would have caused a problem outside of the one character you saved, but I can't be certain.

You didn't happen to save one of the corrupted files did you? I'd like to take a look at it to see exactly what was corrupted. Perhaps to be extra safe I'll have SBSE back up all the player files on first run.

6. Omenvreer

Omenvreer The Augury

The character was my main one whom i've had since that last mandatory character wipe from that update way back. When I saw he was gone i did the nooby thing and preformed a complete system restore to the previous day. I'm sure it was probably something with a mod my friend made that changes the client side looks of some of the beaks. Maybe modifying the character file did something make it not respond to the modified asset it needed.

7. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I downloaded that mod and actually I just realized that I forgot to enable saving the beak color before pushing the installer out. So you can change the color visually but it doesn't save... so that's even weirder. I tried doing what you said you did myself and I didn't run in to any problems. I'm at a loss for why that might have happened, but if it happens again can you upload one of the broken files for me? I'd appreciate it so I can analyse what might have happened.

8. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Sorry again for the double post so soon! Update 0.8 is now out! This update improves mod support and adds advanced mode!
    • SBSE Desktop 0.8
    • Released October 12th, 2014
    • Download:
    • Changelog:
      • Feature: Advanced color editing now supported
      • Feature: Add new color directives in advanced mode
      • Feature: Base-sprite color picker added for advanced mode
      • Feature: Advanced mode setting is remembered
      • Feature: Updates are now downloaded through SBSE
      • Fixed: Improved mod support by supporting mod merging
      • Fixed: Fixed cases where SBSE would crash reading non-JSON files in a mod directory
    EDIT:
    Just released a quick fix for 0.8. If you saved a character and it became invisible, just save your character again with the new version and it should be fixed.
    • SBSE Desktop 0.8.1
    • Released October 12th, 2014
    • Download:
    • Changelog:
      • Advanced mode has been added
      • Emergency Fix: Directives now save properly

#88 Phaze, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  9. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

There seems to be an issue where equipping some items on your characters will make it impossible to edit them in the desktop version for some reason. In my specific case, equipping Trainee Pants on my Female Glitch character makes it so I'm unable to edit that character at all...

10. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Are you using any mods? Which version of Starbound are you using? I'll equip that armor and see if I can replicate the problem

11. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

Only mods I have are Sen's I Like Cheating Mod, Skyrail Sits, and the Big Chat Mod. I currently have version Enraged Koala Update 8 Protocol 643 (Which I'm assuming is the most recent stable version of the game that everyone else has).

Sorry I can't be any more help than this. I do appreciate you looking into the issue, though! And apologies in advance if I'm doing something stupid that's causing the problem for me...

12. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

This is amazing. Being able to change about everything. Also, about one of the first posts on this thread, I didn't care too much to read all of the posts but is it possible to edit /every/ color using SBSE? When I try Starcheat to do so, it's pretty confuzzling.

13. Not A President

Phaze, founder of SBSE, I really must thank you deeply with all of my heart.
    I was this close to quitting SBRP and Starbound in general when literally all but two of my characters were deleted (the two being ones I literally never use). Four of my characters, however, had been made using SBSE's desktop version, one of these characters includes Venn, a hologram I spent hours on, and Dynyl, a character I spent days on. Once I began Starbound after the bluescreen/looking up the bluescreen's error code and whatnot, I found it would not start up. I went to my players file, it was corrupted, would not open whatsoever without making the folder's properties different (changed readable checkbox to blank). I went in to find a folder; SBSE Backups. Because of this alone, all of my hours and days of work have not gone to waste. I thank you, Phaze, for implementing backups with the downloadable Desktop version.
    As for the bluescreen, no results have come up; I don't know why only two of the characters survived, and why all the rest of about 20 (including old characters in non-rp servers and the ones in rp servers) with the exception of 4 were corrupted...

14. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Haha, I put that in specifically because I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. It's sketchy at best working with people's beloved save files, redundant backups are the least I can do.

I also want to let everyone know I'm still supporting SBSE, but as always it's a project I work on purely in my spare time, so I cannot guarantee any sort of time frame on anything. I have finished moving and am settled in at a new job, when I get some time over Christmas I plan on releasing another bugfix update.

#94 Phaze, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  15. Solour

Solour a dad

Question: Is the Ocean helm's visor un-editable? after trying multiple options, each time the transparent section was edited, it would revert back to the orange. Is there something I'm doing wrong on the desktop version? Already tried starcheat and all that, so deciding to ask here.

EDIT: I mean c'mon, looks pretty neato.
    [​IMG]

#95 Solour, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  16. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

What version of Starbound are you using? When I developed that feature I used that specific item while testing, so I know it should work. I'm not sure what the latest version of Starbound is at the moment though, so an update could have broken functionality. Either way let me know so I can test and I'll add it to the list to be fixed

17. Not A President

I once tried it with the Outriders helm, ingame it was the color I set it to... for like one playthrough.
    Relogged at one point, got back on, the ICON said it was the visor I set it to (green) but it turned back to its transparent blue. Ah well, it's not /that/ big of a deal anyway.

18. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I've updated SBSE Desktop to support the latest Nightly/Unstable versions, but I haven't pushed the update yet. Still ironing things out currently, I want to make sure there aren't any save-breaking bugs with my code. So far so good, but in regards to the transparency issue I have a feeling that Chucklefish have changed it so that you cannot change already transparent colors. I still have a bit of poking around to do, and if anyone has any info on this please feel free to let me know.

EDIT: I've done some poking around and I figured out that the transparency issue is just a minor discrepancy in the color codes my color picker chooses vs the ones Starbound expects. I'm working on a fix for this, it'll be in the next update.

#98 Phaze, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  19. Not A President

I love you Phaze, you're amazing.

20. Solour

Solour a dad

praise be phaze.