1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Regarding the Pie Incident

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by WrongEndoftheRainbow, Jun 3, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrongEndoftheRainbow

WrongEndoftheRainbow Leprechaun Not Found

Hi, I'm not really an announcement writer, so I'll keep this short, sweet, and to the point. Recently, the server had an incident regarding a pie that induced arousal and then anger in those who ate it. I will be addressing the decision made regarding said pie.

There was a large question within the staff team of 'Does eating a food mean you consent to whatever effects the person who provided said food decides it does without informing you first?' and the answer is no. Therefore, we will be preventing further instances of this.

The next question is; Did the effects of said pie introduce any interesting roleplay and development, or did it just interrupt and overall be unacceptable? The answer to that is a mixture. Character development resulted, but the arousal part served no good purpose except making us have to hand out warnings. The anger part, while the consent was dubious at best, was fine.

Therefore, we will be preventing further events of this purpose unless every person who is involved consents to it, and further events of ERP inducing effects such as arousal will be completely disallowed.

Regarding the event itself, the arousal part will be voided, but the anger part will be kept in place to preserve character development that resulted from the pie. Please edit your development accordingly and keep this in mind.

Thank you for your time.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

brb gonna go RP out pushing maggots into the flesh of a man who I've skinned alive and pumped full of drugs to make sure he's still awake, then salting the flesh
    then rp eating said maggoty flesh
    and shitting it into a bucket
    then having him eat that shit

EDIT: My point is, I can do all of this shit on the server, but RPing out a character being in the mood because of a pie filled with... aphasiacs or whatever, isn't. It's not like people were jumping on eachother going full out blowjobs and rimming right in the damn streets. It was a temporary change in emotions, which also caused some backlash once said emotions wore off in the characters.

Saying that you should avoid any development because of this, would be simply mean for the characters. I didn't have a character who ate the pie, but if I did, I'm sure she would've made some advances and flirts that she normally wouldn't have made, showing her secret interest in such a character. This development would allow for more interactions in the future.

As for consent, everyone who ate the pie knew what they were getting into. Is it not allowed to poison things in the server, on the basis that some random shmuck could run in, take and drink the poisoned wine from the target without asking OOC what's up, then complain about not consenting, causing the scene to be voided alltogether?

That's my two cents on the topic. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion, especially with this being on one of the first things you see coming to Antares. Christ, people.

#2 Doctor Frohman, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  3. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

I think John Lennon talked about this once lol

4. Krews

Krews Great Prophet

i got in trouble for groaning

5. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

Seriously, however... If someone didn't want their character to become sexually aroused, they would not have consented/ would have voided or something akin to that. SO long as actual rules weren't broken like server ERP, I dunno what the issue is. Yeah it was lame RP but you have the power to ignore those people. So fuckin' what. If people used this as an excuse to ERP or be hella gay then that's what they wanted anyway. So long as that wasn't happening on the server then there shouldn't be an issue.

6. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

thank god

7. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

This is far more attention than the "incident" warranted.

Are you not embarrassed having this on website's front page?

2 people like this.
  8. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

If everyone was just simply angry from the start, that entire day would have gone differently. I'm not even sure how to void half of the event. But I mean hey, if that's what the law is, apparently I gotta follow it.

Not to mention- did this... honestly need an announcement?

9. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Hallelujah.

10. WrongEndoftheRainbow

If you think someone's crossed the line (That maggot thing and shit thing jesus christ report it next time), report it. You need to have the people consent beforehand if you want to have food have an effect on someone, for the same reason you have to get someone's consent before you shoot them in the face on Upside and kill them because "They came to a colony where guns are allowed, they knew what they were getting into.". The announcement was made simply so that the people involved are aware that a certain part of the pie did not happen, so they don't allude to it and cause OOC confusion and arguments.

The server also explicitly does not endorse ERP so we would rather avoid inciting mass ERP. The pie only lead to several people going over the line, and other than that, just 'I masturbated/I had sex yay". ERP is fine off the server and not forced on others who were not warned beforehand that they may have to get involved in it.

11. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

To loosely quote Kirby, this announcment is a bleeding eyesore and really... do you want people thinking about joining this server seeing THIS on the front page? Take it down.

12. Alaystus

Staff Member

Honestly, I'm really not sure it'd matter anyway. If it's simply not brought up again, there's really no difference between voiding half the event and voiding the entire event. Not like any of my characters ate the pie anyway.

And yes, I'm aware I'm the one who said that in the first place. Just changed my mind or some shit, iunno.

13. Alaystus

Staff Member

I give up.

14. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

We all know that mass ERP isn't allowed, if we started doing stuff like that, crack down on that harder than a nutcracker on a... nut.

And it's like this. People knew something was up with the pie, right? They implied consent to what may happen to their character. If it was death or something super crazy, they probably wouldn't have gone through with it, yeah. A simple hallucinogen or change whatever, though, they knew something like that may happen, and would like their character to experience that.

It's like saying that because my BF and I fucked after fondling eachother in the shower, but neither of us verbally consented to it, only body language and implied, it would be rape until proven otherwise.

As for the maggot stuff, that kind of shit has happened in the past, and not a single word has been uttered against it. Remember Traptooth? He was such an amazing character who did horrible things. People never ridiculed TD for it, other than saying she had to put a NSFW warning on her art in the transmissions.

Anyway, the pie, right. If you void that, you're changing up the entire day. You guys are so worried about Antares being back in it's kinky Floran bonding ERP days that you're shutting down harmless stuff and voiding things. I'm sure if you went over to Taco and basically said 'Hey, don't do Apsodiacs next time, right bud?" He'd be onboard with that. Now, as for the consent again... who had a character, that ate the pie, and is bitching and moaning about the event? I haven't heard anyone come up, yet, only hearing outside parties get their knickers in a twist over the event.

Once again, this post should be removed or sent to another place. You guys are blowing it out of proportion, just do a slap on the wrist, say 'Don't do this again, alright?' You don't have to go through and change people's characters.

15. WrongEndoftheRainbow

I'll break this into chunks to make it more managable to address.

Nothing was implied to be wrong with the pie. There was no hints that it would have resulted in mass ERP incitation.

Mass ERP incitation is a flagrant violation of the ERP rules, evidenced by the fact that it caused a lot of people to cross the line. After looking through the logs, it was decided there really was no real character development from it. It simply made people cross the line. Which is why we are cracking down on it. However, there was character development from the anger, which is why we kept that in.

You must get OOC consent before you try to ERP with someone. That's been a thing for a while and it will remain a thing. I honestly don't see the problem with getting consent OOCly before going to steam chat and start flooding them with erotic writing.

16. Alaystus

Staff Member

Purge.

17. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

My issue is this is the sort of thing that could easily be handled with a few private messages and a slap on the wrists.

But instead, we have an announcement, a thread, a voiding, and all this stuff that just makes a mountain out of a molehill.

18. WrongEndoftheRainbow

People were constantly alluding to the arousal effects of the pie in RP. The announcement was made purely to make sure that everyone gets the memo that the arousal was voided.

19. Alaystus

Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  20. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

when the thought went through my head about doing this, I wasn't thinking about the fact there might be people under the age of 18 and that you don't have any rules regarding being 18+ IRL like on other servers I play on. mostly just a mistake on my part for assuming that everyone would take it in a mature, respectable manner. instead it was blown out of proportions and made into a big issue.
    sorry for that.
    please accept my apology and i'll try to avoid from making such a crude source of humor for not only myself, but everyone else involved that had a laugh out of it

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.