1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Feedback Request CHAT SWITCH- Chatbox to Discord

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Smokestack, May 2, 2016.

?

What do you want?

1. Chatbox

24.4%
  2. Discord

75.6%
  1. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

As many of you probably know, the chatbox is proving to be a great strain on the forums. Repeated and frequent use of it with a large amount of people in it can cause problems such as reaching limits in resources and errors. Chatbox also slows down periodically when used frequently and occasionally breaks when multiple images are used.

I opted for a switch to a Discord server. Discord is a browser-based, or client-based, application that allows fora community to talk to one another via voice chat, text, or both. It works similar to the chatbox but will not have the same forum-like structure for text formatting.

Here's the Discord server for Antares should you want to get a feel for it. Be sure to use your forum name if you're gonna use it. If you don't, we're probably gonna change it to it anyways. And if we can't determine your name, we'll just ban/kick you.

Discord

This'll be a test of what it'll be like. Luckily the server can be easily purged if it goes to shit.

This thread'll be a vote of whether we should keep the chatbox or use the Discord server.

• The advantages of the chatbox are that it uses forum formatting, is already apart of the forum, is familiar with most of the community, does not require a new registration, and has sometimes funny chat bots.
    • The disadvantages of the chatbox are that it is slow when under stress, can cause forum crashes, and is somewhat messy.

• The advantages of the Discord server are that it is very clean, allows voice communication (which we'll disable if it proves to be too much for you guys), is organized into rooms, and runs faster (With a client version or browser-based version)
    • The disadvantages of the Discord server are that it is new territory, could be breached by outsiders, could be abused, and may go to shit if it proves too much for the community.
    I'll let you guys decide whether you like it or not.

2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Also, theres a Discord app you can get on phones that can help you pop in and out from wherever.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I remember popping in once for a little while. I may give it another look. I like change.

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

i rate it eggplant emoji/10

5. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Night attempted to get me on Discord before. I hated it because it was impratiical personally and overall just worse than Steam.
    I tried it again a month later with a group I'm in called The Komission. I still hated it for the same reason, but Skype.
    Now you're trying to put the chatbox on it.
    I have to respectfully ask you keep the forum chatbox and ditch Discord, it's not changed and people like me who don't want it will be left unable to socialize.
    So I have to strongly cast my vote against this.

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Eh, could you elaborate WHY it is impractical?
    I disagree to some degree;
    I believe the current chatbox is cool because it's integrated with our forums.
    I do think that Discord is more unique and it can bring our community closer together.
    It has some interesting features.
    Switching to Discord also impoves the performance of the site, because it's been shit since the chatbox started freaking out.

7. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

Agreed, the site has been reaching it's resource limits for a while now, it could certainly do with some form of stress relief.

[​IMG]

#7 FoRgE, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  8. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

I dislike Discord because it is, ironically, discordant.
    One-on-one it's fine, but with any more than two people the audio becomes clogged up and you can't hear jackshit. And when you can't hear jackshit you're too busy tryna make sense of it all to type anything. Or so I've seen in both cases.
    So that's why I hated it both times I tried Discord.

1 person likes this.
  9. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

We just need to download more rams for the server guys

1 person likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Awe may be kidding but it's the more sensible way of doing it. The chatbox is much easier to access and much more functional than an external chat service (I mean look at the Antares Skype Chat which is dead because nobody wants to use it/knows it exists) and all it needs to be more functional is more memory for the website, which I can't imagine being terribly expensive to upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  11. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Kaz mentioned something about it a while back actually.

12. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I'm fairly certain more wam isn't something we can do right now, due to our host and the fact we ain't made of dosh. Discord, so i'm led to believe, will be in-browser (and I believe actually integrated into the forums like our current chat as well), so it won't be like the skype chat. So long as it's an in-browser experience, I do think discord is actually just a straight upgrade to our chat. Minus the log system, our current one is dope.