1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Server Modpack

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Angre, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I figure it's about time I get this announcement set up, so here it is, the thing you've all been waiting for! Or the thing some of you've been waiting for, whichever. Anyway, considering the outrageous number of votes we had in the last announcement, a large majority of which were in favor of a modpack, it looks like the decision has been made to adopt some mods for the server. So, for this announcement, we're gonna try and figure out what sorts of mods we wanna use. Luckily, we aren't starting off with nothing; Node and I have been working together to put together a nice custom vanity pack for Antares. I'm sure most of you have seen his thread in Roleplay Planning, but if you haven't, go here to check it out. I highly recommend it!

Anyway, this is currently the only guaranteed mod to be used on the server. What I want from you guys is to list some possible mods you would like to see used as well. Please, when suggesting mods, do take it seriously. They should fit with the current setting, no Naruto mods or Metroid mods or anything of the sort. If you see a mod suggested in this announcement already, feel free to just rate that post agree! That way, we can easily keep track of which mods are supported the most and which aren't. If you dislike a certain mod suggestion, rate that post disagree. Please be sure to use the agree and disagree ratings only if you're rating mod suggestions; It's the easiest way for us to know whether or not you actually support the mod, or just the post itself.

I feel it's important to mention, though, that just because a mod receives a lot of support does not necessarily mean it'll be added. In most cases, it does, but if we feel a certain mod may cause more harm than it's worth, such as requiring a universe regen, we won't outright accept it. That's something that would require a community poll to determine whether or not we go through with it. There isn't an exact amount of time we'll let this announcement go as people make mod suggestions, but expect it to end in about a week or so. There's currently no date set for when the modpack itself will be added to the server, so until further notice, continue logging on with your vanilla installations.

Anyway, that's all for now. Take your time to read through the announcement and start making suggestions down below. We'll be keeping track of what you guys suggest. Another announcement will go up once the modpack is added, listing all mods that are currently being used on the server. Thanks for you time, I look forward to your suggestions!

1 person likes this.
  2. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

3. Krug

Krug New Member

I think it'd be nice to include the Pixel Store mod just for the custom furniture is provides
    I'd also like to make sure ACM gets carried over
    Finally (and this one's the pipe dream) It would be cool if the server introduced a custom currency. Difficult to recreate in Starcheat or another editing program and not spawnable in something like ACM.

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'd be fine with whatever so long as it doesn't change the way the server operates in terms of RP. I'm in favour of everything mentioned so far.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Guys. Those are client-side mods. You can use those already. Angre is referring to server-side mods.

Client-side: You can use them without the server having to have them.
    Server-side: The server has to have them or bad things happen when you join with them. (Bad things also happen to those who join and don't have them while the server has them.)

For example, ACM just changes the crafting menu in your client and adds a few nifty things.
    Big Chat just changes the UI in your client, so does Extended Songbook. These things have nothing to do with the server.

However, to use Node's example above, Armor Stands are a custom item. The server has to have them so that the client knows what those objects/items are. If you join and the server lacks the mod, the server/client might freak out about it. Just the same, if someone joins and doesn't have the mod, their client may freak out (crash). Which is why I made the Antares Launcher, to synchronize the client and the server.

1 person likes this.
  7. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I am intelligent.

Still though, I understand the plight of everyone else. Throw some client side mods in too, just so that way peeps can be max lazy.

8. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

From what I understand about the launcher, client-side mods still need to be added into the list of mods managed by it in order for them to take effect in game when launching Starbound via the Antares launcher.

For example, here's the list of client side mods managed by the launcher.
    [​IMG]
    Extended Songbook, for example, is not included in this list. So when I launch Starbound using the Antares launcher, even with Extended Songbook installed to my normal mods folder, it won't take effect. That's what i'm talking about here. Client side mods need to be added into this managed list. Of course, i'm not the developer of the software, so I could very well be talking out my ass. So i'll await my inevitable demise via kobold.

9. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

While you're right, client-side mods will need to be added to the list to allow you guys to use them via the launcher, non-vanilla server-side mods are mostly what's being asked for here. Of course, I'm completely willing to add client-side mods, but that's really more a matter of just sending me a message and I'll get 'em added when I can since they're completely optional for whoever's using them, never required.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Nope, you got me. I haven't worked on the launcher in awhile, so I totally forgot. My bad.

11. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Anyone know if there are gun stands? That'd be cool.

12. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I have actually not seen anyone disagree with the modpack yet, and this is really concerning to me. The best ideas are forged out of discourse and compromise, not unanimous yes-manning. Please, anyone, everyone; if you've got even a sliver of a complaint to make about the modpack/launcher, make it. If you don't, it'll stay unimproved from the point it's at right now. If you have no complaints, debate against people who do have complaints. Discussion can only cause improvements, so long as you're actually having discourse and are not just insulting each other.

My largest concern is that the modpack will be putting up more red tape for new players to cut through in order to join. While it may only be a few minutes of time to download the launcher, why spend the time doing that when you can apply at a different community and get in faster? Why download something at all when there's RP to be had without any downloads? A huge issue involving downloads with the launcher at the moment is the fact that it's regarded as a virus. Why would anyone in their right mind download something that every antivirus points to as a virus? It would dissuade numerous new members i'm sure, which is not something we can really afford to do. I'll be honest with you guys, we don't draw in many new players, and we hold even less of them in long enough to become regulars. Making something that pushes people away more is not something I think we can afford to do at the moment.

13. zkkzz

zkkzz New Member

yeah, i think that's a fair argument, and i agree with you. i will say, there's already a lot of impediments like applying and finding what planet people are on and getting ACM etc. etc., so this isn't /huge/ in comparison, but if the mods aren't that important, i would say don't make a modpack

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I've always been of the opinion that modpacks are a hassle for people to get into. It makes going through the process of joining a community just that much more tedious and unappealing

though, I would like to argue that, if we were going with a modpack anyway, I would like to see the Avali race added. Though, if they are added, definitely definitely their lore would need to be revised in Antares. As it stands, they're mary-sue af.

15. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

"Avali never"
    ~Probably most of the server

16. Krug

Krug New Member

I don't see much difference in them other than psychology. Otherwise they're basically Novakids.

17. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'd love avali if only for the items that it gives you. The race, while amazing, would only add confusion to the server and seek to make vanilla races less common. Maybe if we add it and make it a staff approval only race? I dunno.

I have literally no other mods I want to request, they're mostly outdated and avali is the only one that adds anything i'd ever use (the furniture).

As far as using a modpack is concerned, I think it won't make any difference at all. if people want to play, they'll download the modpack regardless. the people who comes and go within a week will be the only ones we will lose.

That said, I don't give a shit either way, I'm fine with what we've got and I'm fine with getting mods.

18. Krug

Krug New Member

I would like and item mod for more furniture, guns, really anything that gives aesthetic more variation. There are already more gun mods than you can shake a stick at and as for furrniture, the pixel store I mentioned above has hundreds of custom assets.

19. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

You can already make custom guns easily, the only real appeal to gun mods is the custom projectiles. Furniture I can some what agree with.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

the biggest thing that appeals to me about Avali is that they have a pack mentality, and if they're separated from their pack too long, it begins to affect their mental health adversely. It would make for interesting conflict RP.