1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran village, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Asthar, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should there be a Floran village somewhere out in Council Space?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Asthar

Asthar Previously Durian

I've noticed that there's a lack of exclusively Floran groups or cities IC. The question on the matter is: Should they exist? I mean, well, of course they should. However, from another POV, people may feel like this might be degrading to their RP experience for being a race other than Floran, hence exclusion. I would like an opinion if these should exist or not, because as Chucklefish has put it out to be, Floran villages are not an unusual thing to find out in space.

2. Krug

Krug New Member

I don't think we should go out of our way to build Floran cities. I imagine we can just treat the situation as if there is the occasional Floran village amongst the stars

3. Asthar

Asthar Previously Durian

The reason I'm posting this is because I need to make a specific village for my lore to make sense, and I'm wondering if it should be a full fledged city and if people would use it if it were.

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I doubt anyone but florans would visit a floran village.

5. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I think there would most likely be a Floran village somewhere in council space. There have also been precedents of villages and hubs that were run by and for Florans. Can't remember the names, I'm kinda out of it right now, but they've existed. If you need to build a Floran-only village for lore purposes, or for an event, I'd say go right ahead, but in terms of an IC RP hub, it may not get quite the traffic you're expecting. The server's Floran population has dipped recently.

6. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Ragnarok is our token Floran village on the server currently.

There was a dip in popularity since there is a dip in popularity with Florans. I have no hard evidence but the dip in our Floran population is likely due to a mix of their in game perception, as well as often characteristically dull tropes that people use when playing Florans. I think people in general get bored quickly with a lot of Florans.

Since the server is rather small, you get a small sample size of the population of Council Space.

7. Asthar

Asthar Previously Durian

I have noticed that many fellow florans (Possibly also LCDs when it comes to roleplay) tend to use similar boring tropes for making a character. Personally I find florans fun to RP as because you get to have RP elements other races don't normally have, like spontaneity or zest. However, like you mentioned, there is a bit of racism in the mix. I definitely agree with you on the public eye's perception of florans as being inherently dumb and/or uncivilized. I understand it may be a bit redundant if florans have a lisp or some annoying twitch of the sort, but that doesn't mean it can't be done well.

8. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

The best you can do is attempt to encourage people to work with you and bolster the Floran population if you actually want to play Florans well. Also maybe speak to some of the players that still play Florans on the server, like @Khaltor and see if you could potentially work something up.

But as it stands, Florans are not always the best for roleplaying an insane amount of depth due to their lore and culture (in my opinion). You can take that as either a good thing or a bad thing, and either be unique, or alone. Up to you.