1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

What is the Matter Manipulator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracey, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Tracey

Tracey New Member

Hailo everyone,
    I am a bit confused to what the "Matter Manipulator" is in Antares lore. Is it a sort of "gravity gun"- being able to move or carry larger items than normal humanoids can carry from location to location- like a pallet jack? Can it be used to fix or solder wires together? Is it just a piece of fancy metal to bash things with?

I was wondering if there is consensus on this in Antares, or if we- as a community- can come to a consensus on what a (the) basic "Matter Manipulator" is.

Thoughts from a newbie,
    Tracey (Brasstrace)

PS: As a scavenger, I feel as though some capacity of modulation or repair might be useful. Just my 2 cents :3

2. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

It's not really canon. It's an IG method of building and shifting things around, and IC that's your hands and more conventional tools like hammers and stuff.

3. Yotan

Yotan New Member

As far as the matter manipulator a gravity gun in my opinion is not right. Like in chat a pallet jack able to move like crates and cargo is about all. Massively Large cargo containers it out of its limit.

Honestly I usual have my characters use it as just like a tool, but really the paint tools ability to change color fits it as a multi-tool. Such as being able to welding, cutting, and soldering.

Really I would like to see more types of tools. Sure we have drills, chainsaws, etc.

But I'd like to see more tools. Power bolters, Rivit guns, etc. Basically Vanity tools.

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

A better title would've been: "What's the matter, with the matter manipulator?".

But yeah, the MM isn't IC, nor is the capability of being able to carry 50+ rocketlaunchers in your inventory.

Even when you apply a future tech argument, it's a bit iffy for RP purposes.

You can carry lava with you and kill everyone by dropping it. It's actually a good way of DPS in the early stages of the game.

5. Tracey

Tracey New Member

"I mean, you don't even manipulate matter!" (Comedy human attached)
    [​IMG]
    But yeah, I understand. I'll stick with drills and bombs instead.

Thanks for the clarification!

Yours,
    Tracey (Brasstrace)

6. Darkwhip

Darkwhip That Russian-Canadian-Nazi

Personally I see it as Physgun from Garry's mod, typical blue beam to move things around and not Mine/dig stuff. Of course the thing isn't able to move something as big as a planet, so you kinda get the idea.

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I think the MM would be fun to be canon. Give it some limitations such as not working against organic matter, and you have a useful sci-fi tool to explain rapid colonization.

8. Darkwhip

I agree.

9. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Or we could encourage people to not like, expand their colonies super quickly and discourage bad rp?
    #totallynotbeingapassiveagressiveprick

10. Darkwhip

That's an idea too, we still gotta be realistic about it I mean a shack won't take 2 months to be built, but yeah it depends on the conditions too.

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I don't think rapid colonization is bad RP. It depends on the justification. Starbound is a sci-fi setting in the future, so sci-fi futuristic tools for construction aren't outside the realm of possibility or realism. It's all context. I think the tool would be acceptable, and it's IC use shouldn't be seen as bad RP.