1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Monsters/Mobs are becoming a nuisance to RP

Discussion in 'Concerns and Suggestions' started by Aero, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Aero

Aero New Member

Many people have informed me that the monsters/mobs on planets are interrupting their RP and other things, such as building, and so forth. This thread to voice that concern. When I asked Kazyyk about turning them off, he said he would require a petition of sorts.

This thread is also a petition now. Please leave your support to remove mobs (or reasons against turning the mobs off) in replies to this thread. Thank you very much for reading.

2. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Supported. Can't do much RP/building with mobs continually spawning until my framerate slows to a crawl. 40+ mobs on-screen is no bueno.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Yup. +1

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

remove monster

5. Havel

Havel New Member

Supported. In the beginning it was nice to see all the new guys (unique monsters) on the server, but now they've just gotten out of hand.

6. Raideck

Raideck Member

Support.

7. Pyro_Sanders

Pyro_Sanders Warcrime Sprite Creator

Support

8. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

9. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

I think the monsters make it fun. Admittedly there are a lot but if you did what you did for the critters (see the Olympus Seagull Issue, 2415) then it would have some nice monsters gently roaming around and not enough to nuisance players - I do dislike being on Tsu's teahouse and being buttfucked by a flying dildo monster swarm but if there was only one it'd be perfectly fine.

10. Doc

That's precisely the problem. On some planets/colonies I've seen literal swarms of mobs spawn, of up to 20+ monsters, which lags the game out and makes RP a pain. The mobs don't add to RP or anything, they're just an annoying distraction you have to occasionally pause and take care of, and in more severe cases, can slow your game to a crawl/crash you.

11. Krug

Krug New Member

I'm undecided on this, but maybe to make it easier to count, everyone who supports this petition should just like the original post.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

They added monster spawn items with the update. They're wired, too. We should turn off monsters spawning naturally, but say, outside of settlements, have monster spawners for things like RPing hunting or alien sieges.

13. Doc

I agree. And possibly have the spawns simply be those wired spawners so it can be turned on/off in certain areas to simulate habitats and such, and keep spawns to a minimum to prevent swarms and lag.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

The only problem with the spawners though, is that the monsters are randomly pieced together and not controlled. Though, they are all land mammals and reptiles.

15. Doc

Still, better than the swarms that some planets have.

16. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

I'm not fond of this in theory, and I haven't been fond of this in practice recently.
    Monster Spawners don't really seem to follow any rules and generating the right monsters for a biome has escaped me.
    Places like the settlement I've made here, Hope, have use for monsters, and had a lot of use for the NPCs on the planet as well.

17. Doc

I suppose, but many people much prefer the "old way" of doing things, I.E. just disabling monsters entirely and letting people RP in peace, although I wish that Starbound spawning rules stuck to the way they worked in Beta, in that monsters wouldn't spawn within a certain radius of a player-placed block.