1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

criminals and shit

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by skeletor, Oct 16, 2015.

1. skeletor

skeletor Banned

i was thinking
    wouldn't it be rad if we had a full on criminal group or organization who's main goal is to just make a metric shit ton of money?
    not talking about full blown terrorists or another aiko's mercs or anything else that has a "deeper meaning" or whatever
    i mean standard run of the mill organized (or non organized) criminals in it for the money doing generic shit like robbing stores, extortion, home invasions, etc.
    just to spice shit up and actually give excessive security a purpose other than a reason for people to complain

2. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

while I agree with this, that also doubles up as making placing without excessive security targets for constant harassment. And, while realistic, is just not fun.

Dunno how I feel about this in general. I was around during a time where like 60% of the server wanted to be antagonists and its was both great and unbelievably frustrating.

3. skeletor

skeletor Banned

I'd imagine each crime would be somewhat preplanned and have a set date that everyone on said planet would be alerted about (oocly, of course) just to minimize people who don't want their dudes being killed getting killed and to give the law enforcement of said planet some time to actually pretend like they're on duty

#3 skeletor, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  4. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Can there be Pimping?

5. skeletor

skeletor Banned

definitely

6. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

I'm in!

7. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

He shall be a floran named stickysap.

8. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I'm down, count me in.

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

So its like a maffia of sorts?

10. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

As long as you do it this way, you're doing it right. Just make sure you have a good amount of control over situations and your group, otherwise you'll have your criminals going rogue and pulling stuns that are no fun for anyone.

I cite a time when a criminal "mastermind" came to Mattis and launched an interstellar Nuke at us after "breaking the seventh seal" and dropping fire emblems everywhere. I cite a more recent event where a cyborg character thing came and was hacking an ATM just by touching it, trying to run a program on it called "Open.exe", and since it just looked like he was leaning against it, no one could do anything. Another personal favourite was a group made to antagonize the USCM a long long time ago, and their leadership wasn't exactly clear with them on how to do things. So, in galaxy chat, they emoted them raiding a USAF shipyard and stealing a bunch of ships. It was pretty funny, but just take measures to not be those guys.

There's also the issue of some colonies ascribing to "if you commit crimes on my planet, you consent to die". I think, though, that so long as you pre-plan things OOC with the leadership you can avoid that system. Like I said though, be prepared for metagaming, powergaming and people you didn't account for messing up any narratives you may have planned.

11. skeletor

skeletor Banned

relatively
    there would be multiple members for each heist/crime to minimize vigilante powergaming. more members we have, the more people'd be able to spot out police/vigilante/criminal powergaming

consent to death would be automatic for the criminals and vigilantes and most of the time for the civil protection
    (say if someone is a CP and wants to take place in the event but doesn't want their developed dude to die, we'd for example, take him/her hostage)

what i was thinking is no where close to that level of powergame/stupidity
    just generic armed bank robbers/mafia dudes w/ no bullshit superpowers/ level of unbelievable weaponry.

#11 skeletor, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
  12. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

What about vandalism?

[​IMG]

13. skeletor

skeletor Banned

vandalism is a crime, but that obviously wouldn't be consent to death

14. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Your idea is a criminal organization that wants to make a lot of money? That's what most criminal organizations are, though. "Generic mafia-type bankrobber bad guys" is kind of boring and passe for the server. For the sake of RP quality, I'd really prefer if you put more thought into the group instead of purposely making something generic.

The mods have already settled that, and they deemed that he wasn't powergaming. Please don't blatantly take jabs at my friend as if he can't read what you've written, it's rude.

15. skeletor

skeletor Banned

What I meant by generic was it wasn't extremely special snowflakey or an organization with a deeper meaning.

16. Pie4Pigs

I still recommend putting more thought into it. You can make a group special and memorable without them being "special snowflakes".

17. skeletor

skeletor Banned

That's the plan, as this is still only a concept for the time being.

18. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

I don't know who plays that character, but the way it was done excluded anyone else from being involved in their RP. While it may not have been powergaming, your friend was doing criminal RP in a way that neglected everyone around them. It's not so much a jab so much as a statement of fact of "Yes, this character did this, and I didn't even name the character"

19. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I think that's fair enough, honestly. I operate Pinewood on this policy, though in 99% of cases it's irrelevant as I'm not going to kill someone just because I can.

As for the rest, yeah if you throw some ooc planning in there this should work fine. I'm behind this, now.

In response to this, as much as it pisses me off, there's nothing I can do about it. I will say, though, that if it isn't done when there's a guard on to potentially response, it'll just be treated as OOC. Also this character was warned that if he does something like this again he'll be shot, so in this case I think it's a consent to death.

20. Pie4Pigs

I really don't like it when characters stay alive and active for absurd amounts of time in SBRP, so character deaths are welcome. But killing a character because they were caught spray-painting a wall twice doesn't really add to the quality of anyone's roleplay. And if crime means automatically consenting to death on your colony, shouldn't being a guard also be constant consent to death while they're patrolling? It wouldn't be fair otherwise, security would have the upper-hand on criminals OOC.