1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Suggestion for Hylotl Characters

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Toadkid1234, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

The hylotl are a very interesting race, and while their lore is indeed significantly lacking, their most characteristic quality seems to be missing from a vast majority of hylotl on the server: their arrogance.

Now, I know it's difficult to play an arrogant character who believes their race is superior. Naturally, other races would tend to detest you should you have an air of superiority about you, especially if you tend to put down the other, less awesome races. However, this is no reason to entirely discard this arrogance, and I think there is a way to be both arrogant and tolerable.

If you were a hylol diplomat, naturally you would need to appear likeable to other races (or have a high CHA) in order to properly negotiate trade deals and such. But you know they are inferior! What do you do! Well, when around the inferior aliens, you could make an effort to conceal this arrogance, but when around hylotl you could be more relaxed about holding back.

For example, my hylotl character, Aruana, is a shy hylotl who is generally nice to everyone, and loves making friends. However, she knows deep within her heart that the hylotl are simply the best at everything! So she is far less outspoken about her 'specism' than other hylotl might be. She may refer to other architecture as "cute" or "charming", much as a parent would comment on their child's macaroni-and-glue art they made at school. Maybe a subtle cock of the eyebrow when tasting alien cuisine, or even better, liking the non-hylotl food for its similarities to hylotl food. "Wow, this tastes so much like pearlpea soup! I like it!"

Or, you could be a fishsuit, which is cool I guess.

TL;DR - Be a subtly arrogant frog. Or don't.

2. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

I would bring in my Hylotl character, but I seriously can't really find a place for him in the sector at the moment. I RPed him coming in but nothing else really, he looks like an edgelord which I sort of don't like but it's his personality. Been thinking of putting him in that sunshine battle center place but need some help with that... Also yeah my character is quite kind to strangers but finds most species quite foolish, but he doesn't say it because it would bring too much attention for him.

3. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Just keep trying like I do. My character looks even edgier with a wakizashi+katana in their scabbards by his side. Even in regular fish clothes.

4. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

My hylotl, Kuro, is actually a fairly complex character. He comes across as hostile and standoffish, when its more a case of him not understanding his place in the society of other cultures. He was essentially brainwashed by the hylotl military to be an obedient soldier, never questioning his superiors or his orders, and I think most soldiers in their military would be like this. I actually make sure I never have him refer to himself at any point, he never says 'I' or 'me' or 'my' or anything like that, as he was taught that this is selfish and he should be a selfless warrior for his people. He doesn't take orders from anyone except his direct superior, until ordered by that superior to do otherwise, as he believes that it is disrespectful to do so and it is not his place.

As far as hylotl superiority goes, he simply believes that hylotl are the best at what they do. Everything he has seen has pointed to this, and until given a reason to think otherwise it's an opinion he'll stick to. For example, he thinks hylotl engineers are the best at building underwater. That makes sense, it's only natural to think that, so he sees no problem with saying that to people like it is fact. It's less about him thinking he's better than everyone else and more about his great love for his people and society.

Also, he wears a poncho and wields a knife. No samurai armour or katanas. Only hylotl with deep roots in tradition would use such things, I think. He does own a set of traditional armour though.

5. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

If you guys are interested in the Monastery, just catch me online at some point and I can get you registered at the teleporter behind the gate so you can go to RP with other Hylotls whenever. Also if you're into building, I don't mind expanding it with you guys. Always fun to hang out IC, or OOC.

6. Wingfighter

Wingfighter New Member

Bork was a snobby Hylotl when he first entered the sector, but he quickly learned that acting like a twat got him nowhere... Admittedly, in only a few months, he had lost almost all Hylotl traits. He thinks he's a hot-shot pilot, but that's about it. No real point here, just giving Bork's reason for being 'less' Hylotl. I suppose it's just the way I chose to lead the character. There's nothing wrong with that...

Right?

Right?

;_;

#6 Wingfighter, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
  7. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Wrong.

8. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Eh. Up to you, of course. This was just a suggestion.

9. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I think it is probably a good idea to get this kind of.. knowledge base of server lore for hylotl. As there's little for people to go on, if we post stuff about our characters here people can work off that and we can build some lore for ourselves. There's more to hylotl than being stuckup fishpeople.