1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Community Opinion on the Server Update

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Angre, Aug 25, 2015.

?

When would you like the server to be updated?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2015.
  1. Update the server now. This may require retconning of events that conflict with server lore.

39 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. Postpone the update until server lore is finished and ready.

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

I know it's probably important, but I'm tired of hearing the term CF Lore
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440575474][/DOUBLEPOST]It's almost 3 am, somebody slap me

2. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'm more in favour of building a solid foundation of server lore.
    CF lore had its time to correct itself, I feel that time is now over since its just too filled with plotholes and isnt complete as a whole. Since in the lore it favours some species over the other, but in-game this isnt exactly noticeable since everything dies to the same might your toon has and mechanic wise no other species overpowers the other. >_>

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Yup. My vote is for updating ASAP. Truthfully, screw Chucklefish's version of the lore. They had a chance to make all species and their backgrounds and histories interesting, but they instead went the lazy route and said 'oh yeah all species joined hands on Earth yay Earth!' or whatevs. That's some ol' bullshit. in an expansive universal scope of things, nobody should give a crap about Earth. Err, rant aside, server lore needs to be done carefully, concisely, and it can't be rushed. Or it'll be bad. We don't want bad lore.
    that'd be bad.

4. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Is it too much to demand four people to make flawless lore in a timespan of one day, and a fully functional server to boot? Cmon.

In all seriousness, though, I support independent lore and would ideally like the server to be up sooner rather than later. Is it feasible to have the server up before the lore is done? I mean, what can we really do in such a short timespan that breaks lore? I mean, unless the lore mldifications are far reaching and would havd immediate and personal effects on the individual characters...

5. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

I believe it is towards the point that the IC cause for the wipe is not yet set in stone, and requires tweaking still before it can be plausible.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The anomaly is a cop out. I wouldn't count on it being used, but it's possible.
    It was originally suggested as a way to explain a necessary wipe, but more interesting alternatives have come around since then.

8. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Super. Nova. Babies.

9. Venom

Venom New Member

31-6. What if you updated, had the wipe occur for ominous IC reasons then had a thread to suggest what happened followed by a poll, if not the anomaly option? I doubt it would be immediately clear what happened in the confusion anyway.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

We don't have to update and wipe at the same time. We should've made that clearer, in hindsight.

11. Venom

Venom New Member

Ah. Thought the update forced our hand at wiping colonies and such. Well, either option works. I know some people are specifically waiting until the IC wipe happens to return.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Meh just let us carve out our own lore on the server. People can reference CF lore events in their past if they want but the server is always going to be set in an isolated sector separated from the main goings on the galaxy.

13. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'd like to point out something some of our older players may remember. The last time we did a wipe with a server reset (A necessary wipe since the update murdered the universe), we intended to come up with a set standard of lore. However, we were not prepared when the wipe hit, and then what with the Outpost and then later the Ark being introduced, players simply couldn't just sit around a few days and let staff work out lore. They wanted to roleplay, and after all, that's what people are here for, right? Anyways, my main point is that before we do a wipe, I advocate setting up some foundational lore and a finalized setting for us to work off of, other than "We're in the middle of nowhere, do whatever as long as the rest of the community doesn't hate you for it".

14. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I'll take Florans regrowing body parts and Shadow Avians for 300.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Oop. Thanks for reminding me, Doc.
    Lockin' thread since the server's updated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.