1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Community Opinion on the Server Update

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Angre, Aug 25, 2015.

?

When would you like the server to be updated?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2015.
  1. Update the server now. This may require retconning of events that conflict with server lore.

39 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. Postpone the update until server lore is finished and ready.

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Hey, everyone.

As some of you may know, we're currently working on lore for the server. The reason for the update being postponed is because we would like to finish it up before the server is updated and get everything all set up in one go. However, we understand that there was not a lot of time prior to the update that we made it clear we were postponing the server's update. Because of this, many of you may now be unable to connect.

We realize this is inconvenient and we realize that, while some of you may still be able to connect, you also want to experience everything the update has to offer. That's why we've set up this poll to gauge the community's opinion on the matter; Would you rather wait for the update while we continue working on server lore, or would you rather us update the server now and implement the server lore at some point in the future?

Do keep in mind that if the server is updated now, there is the risk of certain in-character events having to be retconned to prevent any conflicts with the server lore once it's released.

This poll will close 48 hours from now, so please vote while you can!

That's all for now, have a nice day.

2. SirFruitcakes

SirFruitcakes New Member

Well, for me, it would just depend on how long we'd have to wait for the lore to be finished. Updating as opposed to waiting for the anomally would give more time to flesh it out, instead of being rushed due to so many people being locked off the server, so if it's more than a couple days to a week i'd rather have it on the server now, so that's what I voted.

3. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

As long as it's not some retarded anomaly and it's an event that actually makes sense, then go for it.

4. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

I'm not sure if I should exactly have a say on the matter, since I'm not actually involved in any events in the server. I'd like for the anomaly to happen as quickly as possible, yes, (and I still have to update Starbound,) but I don't want to cheat anyone else out of an event because of my selfishness. While I can agree with Fruitcakes, that if we still need to wait for the lore to be finished and it may take some time for the lore to come out, it'd make sense to continue server as usual. And then, like March said, the lore would have time to flesh out. But, at the same time, I know that having the server partially unavailable for a time would work as an extra incentive to finish the lore faster. I'll reserve my vote for just a little bit longer.

5. solaruin

solaruin New Member

serber nao plz

No but really, I'd rather be playing than not. why don't we just RP the anomaly being visible, but not quite here yet :p

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The anomaly isn't guaranteed to be happening. My original post was an idea thread to discuss the possibility. Alternative ideas are being discussed and whatever is chosen will be carefully designed to ensure it keeps with SBRP's ideals. There is also the high likelyhood that we'll reach out to the community for feedback before launching whatever it is, anomaly or no.

7. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

my vote is base off how long it will take aswell, but I will at the moment say update now, but likely will change my vote, if it takes less than a week for the lore to be up.

8. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Im an impatient bastard. Update now I say!

9. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

"(I'm a)... bastard." -Haplap :3

10. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

I'd like to just say thank you, for giving us a choice in this matter.

11. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

We don't really have an ETA for how long the lore might take, that's why we're asking for input from the community about when the update should come.

12. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

the update should come within 3-7 days.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440560025][/DOUBLEPOST]uhh, I cant edit my posts, and instead of a edit button, I have a report button on my posts...

13. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

I did see that idea about a supernova/hypernova. Although, beyond that I haven't really heard of many other ideas besides the Anomaly/wormholes/shifts or things kind of related to the Anomaly. I suppose I'd kind of clumped those together. Whatever it is, (and I get that this question might not have an answer yet,) do we have some kind of idea of what we're doing with the lore, or which direction we're going in? (I suppose that could just be another poll, which could take place after this one. But I felt like I should ask anyway.)

14. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I say, put a time constraint on finishing the lore, /then/ wait until lore is finished.
    It's the best way to get the server up and with quality.

15. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Canonical NC lore is a must.

16. solaruin

solaruin New Member

there's always the "Wipe and reload" the canon option. Which I wouldn't mind actually...

17. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Here's the thing. It didn't come across as discussion about alternative ways of IC explaining the Physical server wipe. To me it came as. We are doing this to explain the server wipe, it's going to happen, ask any question you want or need to.

Instead of, "Hey guys. We need to do a physical wipe of the server, no other choice We "the staff" would like to have an IC reason for the wipe. Give us any ideas you might have. It don't matter if it explains the entire Antares sector is destoried, displaced, or what not. Get creative. We'll take the best ideas then have the server vote on the best ideas. Construcive critism is a must don't be rude, no flaming, and above all else support your fellow servermate ideas. If you don't like an idea, suggest something the might improve it. Again this is to be creative so have fun."

Either way as long as the wipe can be explained, does not mess with CF lore than I am good with it.

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Yeaaah... the Anomaly was the first idea that was suggested, and it seemed to take off. There are other more lore friendly thoughts being considered at the moment. Now when you say, "does not mess with CF lore", what do you mean exactly? There are some parts of the lore that may need to be altered for the sake of building one cohesive setting, though nothing too much I'd say. My personal opinion is that it should operate on the principle of convenience. What's convenient to leave as-is, and what needs to be changed to allow things to work out smoothly.

19. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Displacing all of the universe is CF lore breaking. Sure earth would still be around but in a different system, around a different sun, with no more or many moons. Mar would be in another system in the same issues as earth. As I said lore breaking.

I get the there needs to be whole to fill in CF lore. However doing things of the "sake of convenience" is a rabbit hole best left untouched. If someone doesn't like a race particularly thing, well for convenience lets just change that. It start off a snow ball effect that will ruin things, specially when you start messing with lore.

A again as long as the wipe can be explained, does not mess with CF lore than I am good with it.

20. Venom

Venom New Member

I don't think that much lore is really required, at least at the start. People get hit by the anomaly for ominous reasons, they wind up wherever we base the server at. You want to add more lore later, go ahead, but I doubt most characters would even have the means of investigating what actually happened. But the priority should be doing a single wipe and updating ASAP in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.